Duckinfield Found Not Guilty

Courtyard Bear

No, correct result.

A terrible tragedy, all those who died or injured were completely innocent.  But anyone who was around English football at that time cannot possibly believe that the fans played no part in events.

The big mistake plod made was to try and show things in a better light because this tainted all their evidence.  Duckenfield opened the gate for what he thought were good reasons, with hindsight an error of judgement.  No more than that though, a human error.

What is always conveniently overlooked is that everyone that day was personally responsible for their own actions, an outdated concept these days.  The fans didn't have to charge through the open gate, and in all honesty I would have been one of them,  and still claim innocence.  Those without tickets didn’t have to go, those who were pissed didn’t have to be.  They all made personal choices to behave as they did.As someone put it at the time those at the front were crushed because those at the back were pushing.  You can't put it simpler than that.

Terrible tragedy, not sure how I feel about it all in terms of Duckenfield. The guy has been tried three times now and you have to feel that the law has ran its course. Doesn’t make it any easier for the victims and the smear campaign was despicable but I don’t think he should have been the fall guy for it all. It’ll live with him for the rest of his days. 

1 hour ago, roger9650 said:

No, correct result.

A terrible tragedy, all those who died or injured were completely innocent.  But anyone who was around English football at that time cannot possibly believe that the fans played no part in events.

The big mistake plod made was to try and show things in a better light because this tainted all their evidence.  Duckenfield opened the gate for what he thought were good reasons, with hindsight an error of judgement.  No more than that though, a human error.

What is always conveniently overlooked is that everyone that day was personally responsible for their own actions, an outdated concept these days.  The fans didn't have to charge through the open gate, and in all honesty I would have been one of them,  and still claim innocence.  Those without tickets didn’t have to go, those who were pissed didn’t have to be.  They all made personal choices to behave as they did.As someone put it at the time those at the front were crushed because those at the back were pushing.  You can't put it simpler than that.

Correct result? It should never have been at Hillsborough.

As to the commander of the day, no experience of major events but is given a cup final in a shitty ground, what could happen...

I am not even going to respond to the drivel of your last paragraph.

9 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Correct result? It should never have been at Hillsborough.

As to the commander of the day, no experience of major events but is given a cup final in a shitty ground, what could happen...

I am not even going to respond to the drivel of your last paragraph.

Your right about Hillsborough don't think it had a current safety certificate the FA seem to have missed out in any recriminations. 

3 hours ago, roger9650 said:

No, correct result.

It doesnt matter if it was only human error his decisions lead to the death of 96 people and then he conspired to cover it up. 
He shouldn’t see the light of day again. 

As for your last paragraph I can only imagine you haven’t been in a crowd that is determined it’s going one way, nothing will stop it and those at the back have no idea what’s happening at the front. 

Your view is very naive to say the least. 

4 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Terrible tragedy, not sure how I feel about it all in terms of Duckenfield. The guy has been tried three times now and you have to feel that the law has ran its course. Doesn’t make it any easier for the victims and the smear campaign was despicable but I don’t think he should have been the fall guy for it all. It’ll live with him for the rest of his days. 

Agree with you.  Cant think putting the guy in prison 30 years after the event is going to serve any purpose.

1 hour ago, Ibroxholm said:

Agree with you.  Cant think putting the guy in prison 30 years after the event is going to serve any purpose.

It might help the victims' families a bit.  Some closure after all this time.

The fact he's managed to dodge prison for 30 years is no reason not to put him away now. 

8 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

It might help the victims' families a bit.  Some closure after all this time.

The fact he's managed to dodge prison for 30 years is no reason not to put him away now. 

You really think that.  It’s not going to bring back their loved ones.  I suspect their campaign over the years has brought the victims families together and gave them a common purpose to act against their grief.  If the guy had been found guilty I’m sure there would have been a few days of vindication, even celebration, in seeing him going to prison.  But when the dust settles what then.  It may be that would have just added another victim to a terrible tragedy.

23 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

You really think that.  It’s not going to bring back their loved ones.  I suspect their campaign over the years has brought the victims families together and gave them a common purpose to act against their grief.  If the guy had been found guilty I’m sure there would have been a few days of vindication, even celebration, in seeing him going to prison.  But when the dust settles what then.  It may be that would have just added another victim to a terrible tragedy.

You obvious haven’t listened to families after the verdict. 
Try telling them that after they have been told their loved ones where unlawfully killed no one is being held accountable least of all the very man at the centre of it all. 
Are you actually putting Duckenfield in the victim category?? 

41 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I do wonder if it had been 96 fans of a London club if it would have taken quite so long to get justice? 

Was Stevie G's cousin one of the ones who lost their life?

Yes. 

Bit off top but I read about the '97th' victim recently and that's horrible as well

7 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

There should never have been perimeter fencing n the first place -- people who made that decision are equally culpable 

The english fans brought that shit on themselves regarding fencing etc, their hooliganism was one of the worst at the time, remember heysel? 

54 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The english fans brought that shit on themselves regarding fencing etc, their hooliganism was one of the worst at the time, remember heysel? 

Other European countries handled their hooligans with moats etc round the pitch.  Yes it was bad in England at the time but fencing was stupid, mind you thats with 20,20 hindsight.

Archived