CB partnership

jjbscotty12

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Kind of worried about the lack of pace of Goldson and Helander for the cup final. I know Goldson is rated on here but imo he’s an accident waiting to happen.

Tav n goldson are the weak link down right hand side..  helander reads game well and gets in last ditch. Goldson just flounders

Play ojo or aribo from start in final and we will suffer. Kamara will need aggression that day 

Defensive weaknesses in each of the back 4. Tav and Barisic are instructed to get forward so I think its largely unfair to blame them for being our of position when opponents counter attack. For mistakes and weak challenges they deserve same scrutiny as CHs.

We get away with it most weeks but this month in particular we're playing teams who will expose and capitalise on weaknesses. Individually and collectively, they need to improve.

Heard Gerrard say in the PC about the defending for the second goal that we could have committed a foul, but having watched the goal I can't see an opportunity to do that.

The CB's positioning on the Feyenoord forwards could have been better though.

4 minutes ago, Vision said:

Heard Gerrard say in the PC about the defending for the second goal that we could have committed a foul, but having watched the goal I can't see an opportunity to do that.

The CB's positioning on the Feyenoord forwards could have been better though.

Doesnt matter how many times you watch that , theres no excuse , the 2 CBs are like schoolboys.

3/4 of our CBs  will always be good enough for this league but the minute we come up against better opposition they are going to cost us big time..........

3 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Doesnt matter how many times you watch that , theres no excuse , the 2 CBs are like schoolboys.

3/4 of them will always be good enough for this league but the minute we come up against better opposition they are going to cost us big time..........

Do you not think were punching above our level at the moment, were playing better opposition and we top the group.

Just now, Vision said:

Do you not think were punching above our level at the moment, were playing better opposition and we top the group.

We should have qualified already if it wasnt for fuck ups from our CBs.

We are getting better all over the park but 3 of the CBs are prone to making huge mistakes in big games. Dont know about Edmondson , the guy never gets a chance and was another crazy signing...........

11 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

We should have qualified already if it wasnt for fuck ups from our CBs.

We are getting better all over the park but 3 of the CBs are prone to making huge mistakes in big games. Dont know about Edmondson , the guy never gets a chance and was another crazy signing...........

Don't think there was any fuck up's by the CBs last night tbh and Tav was at fault against YBs.

I don't really know what some fans are expecting for £3M these days in the main I think the CBs are performing pretty consistently.

2 hours ago, Vision said:

Don't think there was any fuck up's by the CBs last night tbh and Tav was at fault against YBs.

I don't really know what some fans are expecting for £3M these days in the main I think the CBs are performing pretty consistently.

I said at the time, sometimes you just have to put your hand up and say that was a pretty good goal. 

2 hours ago, Vision said:

Some people on here are expecting Tav to put in 9/10 performances every game and he only cost £150k.

Our defence is more than good enough for SPL level imo and to be sitting top of the group in Europe with 5 goals conceded (less than all the other teams in the group) they're obviously good enough for Europe as well tbh.

21 hours ago, Del said:

I dont get the lack of pace issue that is brought up constantly...

Helander is definitely the slower of the two but I cant think of a single goal (and ive literally went and watched most of them) we have conceded this season where they have been beaten by a ball in behind, through ball etc and been beaten by sheer pace! The only goal similar to that was scored by Hibs, but even then it wasnt down to lack of pace.

The 2nd goal we conceded last night was a shambles, mainly due to Helander slipping, but the guy that ends up scoring is rapid and yet Helander gets back at him and forces him to turn back. We all know what happened after that and it was poor, poor defending, but it wasnt due to lack of pace.

You can actually go through the goals we have conceded, since the opening league games, and see who is at fault:

2-1W against Kilmarnock (Goldson and Katic) - Deep freekick put back post, missed by everyone and their RB smashes in it. Poor Defending

6-1W against Hibs (Goldson and Katic) - THAT Scott Allan pass, through ball, entire back 4 standing watching, Horgan scores.

2-0L against celtic (Goldson and Katic) - Poor Goldson pass, through ball, Katic gets caught trying to push up for offside, goal. 2nd is a counter from a corner/freekick and Tav,  Davis and Flanno make a mess of it

3-1W against Livi (Goldson and Katic) - Daft tackle from Arfield results in penalty which is scored

2-1L against Young Boys (Goldson and Helander) - Tav caught on the ball, their attacker drives the ball into the box, goal. 2nd goal comes from a headed clearance in their half, Tav misjudges the flight of the ball, attacker runs onto it and scores

1-1D with Hearts (Goldson and Katic) - Ball is lumped forward, Tav misjudges the flight of the ball and makes a mess of the header, ball breaks for Hearts attacker to score

1-1D with Porto (Goldson and Helander) - Boys scores a wonder strike

2-1W over Motherwell (Goldson and Helander) - Long ball forward from their GK, Mwell player wins the header, ball comes to their midfielder who hits an awful shot, their Striker manages to control the ball, turns and hits it early from the edge of the box. (boy does well tbf)

3-1W over Hamilton (Goldson and Helander) - Deep cross into the back post, their striker knocks it down and they score from a rebounded header

2-2D with Feyenoord (Goldson and Helander)  - Decent play from their attack to work a 1-2, their attacker hits it on the edge of the box, going wide until it deflects off Helander and in. 2nd goal is a shambles, through ball to their attacker, Helander gets across and forces him back but then slips, striker then skins Goldson and chips McGregor

One thing that they both bring to the team is their ability on the ball, I know Goldson has made some howlers, but in recent months his distribution has been excellent and his long balls in particular have improved. Same for Helander, he regularly passes the ball directly into the midfield/attack (think the Porto goal) and that is something that Katic just doesnt have.

If you were to watch the games and be critical of our defense, if the number of goals/chances we conceded from cross balls, we are very poor as stopping the ball coming in (not always the fault of the FB) and if we do get it clear a lot of the clearances are suspect (like last night for their first goal) and we lose a lot of 2nd balls against attacking teams.

Jack was at fault for Portos goal 

On 29/11/2019 at 05:09, KingKirk said:

Goldson is not good enough to play for us. No harm to the lad but how he played at Brighton in the championship is beyond me. 

He's bang average at best. I certainly expected better for a 3million outlay

I like big goldson but katic is better.

On 29/11/2019 at 05:59, jjbscotty12 said:

Kind of worried about the lack of pace of Goldson and Helander for the cup final. I know Goldson is rated on here but imo he’s an accident waiting to happen.

Katic will replace Goodson by the end of the season, I think the concern is the lack of experience in a  Helander and  Katic partnership  

4 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

Hampden is by far the biggest pitch in Scotland, lack of pace could potentially cost us at the back, SG needs to get this right 

It's the same size as Ibrox 105x86.

3 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

Hampden is by far the biggest pitch in Scotland, lack of pace could potentially cost us at the back, SG needs to get this right 

I said similar before the semi-final but it is actually not. It is very close to the dimensions of Ibrox. (a few yards bigger - can't remember if its length or width)

Given how few goals we have conceded this season I think we are doing well in the CB pairings. It isn't always pretty to watch bit SG tends to pick the right guys for each game.

I do like Katic though and would like to see him play more. It's the only way to develop him and he has the talent.This season is so important that I think SG tends to play it safe and rely on the more experienced players which I can understand. 

14 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Katic will replace Goodson by the end of the season, I think the concern is the lack of experience in a  Helander and  Katic partnership  

thought the left sided CBs were Katic/Helander and the right sided ones are Goldson/Edmunson???? 

18 minutes ago, LV said:

It's the same size as Ibrox 105x86.

Yes but at Ibrox the mentality of most opponents, plus ourselves, is that at Ibrox it's our baw and we're coming for you with it. Hardly the same as at hampden, even if pitch dimensions are the same.

Not gonna be the case at hampden.

10 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yes but at Ibrox the mentality of most opponents, plus ourselves, is that at Ibrox it's our baw and we're coming for you with it. Hardly the same as at hampden, even if pitch dimensions are the same.

Not gonna be the case at hampden.

Agree. What worries me is, assuming its Goldson and Helander, balls down the channels and Goldson and Helander getting pulled out of position and exposed. Fingers crossed Edouard isn't fit, if he doesn't play i think their attack is powder puff. Either way we need to take the game to them and set the tone of the game.

Archived