CB partnership

jjbscotty12

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Defensive weaknesses in each of the back 4. Tav and Barisic are instructed to get forward so I think its largely unfair to blame them for being our of position when opponents counter attack. For mistakes and weak challenges they deserve same scrutiny as CHs.

We get away with it most weeks but this month in particular we're playing teams who will expose and capitalise on weaknesses. Individually and collectively, they need to improve.

Even if they are instructed to get forward, they are ultimately the ones on the park and the ones best positioned to judge the way the game is going, 

Thursday evening after we had just turned the game around and taken the lead, tav/barisic anyone else, should have seen that feynoord were still gonna be a danger and managed the game better, instead we made another amateur mistake AGAIN in europe and it cost us 

Players need to take responsibility, 

On 29/11/2019 at 20:13, WATP-FOREVER said:

Absolutely mate - I'd like to try out the partnership of joint CB Katic & Edmundson - fed up of the rigid flatfooted combination of Goldson & Helander.

Spot on  I think that pairing is worth a try. Helander is ok  as long as they are coming to him but smart attackers just knock it past him and run over him he runs like he is dragging a bag of cement behind him. Goldson is similar if he is given time he is great but if he gets more than one attacker at him he seems to panic.

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Why is everyone sounding so scared of them and Hampden?  Any way, two games to go before then. A lot can happen before that.

I am not worried, but can understand concerns considering that we got beat by them at Ibrox but we have developed as a team since then.

2 hours ago, JograBear said:

The last 6 or so games we keep giving free headers and chances right in front of goal. Coincidence that's when the Goldson Helander partnership formed? 

We have done pretty well over our last 6 games mate. 16-5 in aggregate if I remember, and one draw away to a very good European team with a world class manager. 16-3 domestically.

Not bad defending for a team that didn't cost that much with a rookie manager.

There are weak points as you say JB but we are winning games in the League and Europe and  in a cup final mate.

1 hour ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I am not worried, but can understand concerns considering that we got beat by them at Ibrox but we have developed as a team since then.

We have done pretty well over our last 6 games mate. 16-5 in aggregate if I remember, and one draw away to a very good European team with a world class manager. 16-3 domestically.

Not bad defending for a team that didn't cost that much with a rookie manager.

There are weak points as you say JB but we are winning games in the League and Europe and  in a cup final mate.

We got beat by a bad pass by Goldson. Those games are so tight, it comes down to one or two mistakes. It's that simple. 

12 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Even if they are instructed to get forward, they are ultimately the ones on the park and the ones best positioned to judge the way the game is going, 

Thursday evening after we had just turned the game around and taken the lead, tav/barisic anyone else, should have seen that feynoord were still gonna be a danger and managed the game better, instead we made another amateur mistake AGAIN in europe and it cost us 

Players need to take responsibility, 

When the ball is poorly lost in the middle of their half weve got 6 players goal side of the ball plus Tav in line. It's hardly reckless in approach, its standard.  What does us initially is the ball played at speed bypassing 3 of them into the RB space we know Goldson normally covers when Tav advances. It was a great ball and left it more 3 on 3. At that point it's still odds in our favour.

The horrific defending costs us as

1. Goldson moves to the ball rather than looking at the most dangerous advanced player who then received it. 

2. Helander doesn't know what his legs are doing and stupidly ends up on his arse.

3. Goldson charges all the way back only to stop short of puting in any sort of challenge.

Tav didnt play well but fuck blaming him for being where he normally is and is expected to be when its others who lose possession followed by benny hill like defending. 

Goldson is clearly Gerrard's man and we paid good money for Helander so that's my thinking behind why they are first choice. Both are clearly good defenders but they do have flaws. Would like to see Katic and Edmundson given some game time but don't know if we can afford to chop and change in such a vital month of the season. 

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

When the ball is poorly lost in the middle of their half weve got 6 players goal side of the ball plus Tav in line. It's hardly reckless in approach, its standard.  What does us initially is the ball played at speed bypassing 3 of them into the RB space we know Goldson normally covers when Tav advances. It was a great ball and left it more 3 on 3. At that point it's still odds in our favour.

The horrific defending costs us as

1. Goldson moves to the ball rather than looking at the most dangerous advanced player who then received it. 

2. Helander doesn't know what his legs are doing and stupidly ends up on his arse.

3. Goldson charges all the way back only to stop short of puting in any sort of challenge.

Tav didnt play well but fuck blaming him for being where he normally is and is expected to be when its others who lose possession followed by benny hill like defending. 

Where tav normally is, thats the issue, why are we so high up the park after taking the lead, we should be making sure we control the lead

And btw im not blaming tav himself, the players on the park didnt manage that situation one bit

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Goldson and Helander partnership reminds me very much of the Goldson and Worrall partnership and that wasn't good.

Somehow Worrall is being linked with Arsenal and Everton these days....

21 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yes but at Ibrox the mentality of most opponents, plus ourselves, is that at Ibrox it's our baw and we're coming for you with it. Hardly the same as at hampden, even if pitch dimensions are the same.

Not gonna be the case at hampden.

So it's still the same size? 

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Helander has a bad habit of letting the ball bounce.....the minute it goes forward he gets done for pace.....I fear he is going to cost us big time

People on here have been saying this for the last 11 games and he hasn't cost us yet tbh. 

I thought Helander and Goldson were really good today and dealt with Ikpeazu easily. 

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You seem infatuated by size. Strange

It was to answer a statement that hampden was bigger it's not you however went on about mentality which has nothing to do with the dimensions of the pitch. 

Archived