Panic Merchants

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Don’t expect this to go well.

we were absolutely dominant in the first 35 minutes last night. Imperious. The gap in ability between the two teams was as big as I have seen. Then at 2-0 up we switched off and when they got their goal our bottle totally crashed. 

I am befuddled at anyone that doesn’t see dramatic cause for concern at the unfolding of last nights train wreck 

The sheep changed formation after going two down and that seemed to suit their team selection better and we simply did not respond to it  Whether that's the manager not changing it or the players not implementing his changes on the pitch, who knows but the sort of shite at the back post for their second has fuck all to do with formations or tactics, it's just plain old common sense not leaving an opposition player acres of space at the back post.  I'll never understand what we were doing there.

8 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Davis is too quiet and reserved but as close as a leader as there is.

Goldson showed last night with his claiming for fouls when play is ongoing that he hasn't got the brains to be a captain. Constantly looking to absolve himself of responsibility.

McGregor too quick to shout and castigated, no inspirational quality. Not am example of an individual that young ones should aspire to either.

Have you hear Helander speak? He would send you to sleep.

Theres a difference between leading Jack's previous club and being a big fish in a wee pond and leading Rangers. He doeant have it.

So was Gerrard as a captain. Never done him any harm.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So was Gerrard as a captain. Never done him any harm.

I disagree. When things weren't going well, Gerrard could be a dirty bastard. He often slid tackled with his studs showing. He was far from reserved and sometimes it was needed to upstart.

Jack has that in his locker at times but we certainly lack leadership when the going gets tough for the most part.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I disagree. When things weren't going well, Gerrard could be a dirty bastard. He often slid tackled with his studs showing. He was far from reserved and sometimes it was needed to upstart.

Jack has that in his locker at times but we certainly lack leadership when the going gets tough for the most part.

Yet he, by his own admission, wasn't one for ranting and raving at his team-mates. He left that to Carragher.

9 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Think people on here have to temper their expectations a bit.

Yes, we drew at Aberdeen away, what will always be o e of our hardest games of the season.

Yea there was some bad defending, but we were denied a stonewaller as well.

celtic needed a injury time winner against the mighty Hamilton at celtic park.

You can talk about match winning mentality all you like, but I consider luck to be as big or bigger influence.

The league is going to be close this year. Neither of us have dropped many points yet, but it will happen to us both throughout the season.

We just have to try what we can to drop less and take anything we can from the head to heads.

You know what it is mate. We’ve seen this all before. False dawn after false dawn, you can’t blame folk for thinking the way they do 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Yet he, by his own admission, wasn't one for ranting and raving at his team-mates. He left that to Carragher.

Gerrard led by example most of the time. A good leader doesn't need to rant. Look in Souness or Walter Smith's eyes and that is all you would need to know. When I listen to a Tav interview, it literally puts me to sleep. A decent player when things a going well but not a leader.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Gerrard led by example most of the time. A good leader doesn't need to rant. Look in Souness or Walter Smith's eyes and that is all you would need to know. When I listen to a Tav interview, it literally puts me to sleep. A decent player when things a going well but not a leader.

That works for most players but some need a fucking rocket up their arse every now and again and players like Davis are far too meek to deliver a message like that. 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

That works for most players but some need a fucking rocket up their arse every now and again and players like Davis are far too meek to deliver a message like that. 

then we don't have one of those. At least one that gives the fear and gains respect.

Just now, bluenoz said:

then we don't have one of those. At least one that gives the fear and gains respect.

I agree.  There's no one in that side who'd you'd fear getting a kicking off of.  Scottish and British football used to be full of them but they seem to have been neutered by changes in the laws of the game, refs cracking down on the real nutters.

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If listening to a few minute long interview literally puts you to sleep I'd be seeing a doctor mate.

Tbh, If Gerrard is happy that he's the best pick as leader from the squad he has, he's in a far better position than most of us to judge.

9 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Don’t expect this to go well.

we were absolutely dominant in the first 35 minutes last night. Imperious. The gap in ability between the two teams was as big as I have seen. Then at 2-0 up we switched off and when they got their goal our bottle totally crashed. 

I am befuddled at anyone that doesn’t see dramatic cause for concern at the unfolding of last nights train wreck 

Did well up to your last sentence.  infuriating yes --- dramatic cause for concern - seems a bit of overreach. 

What we do require (January) is a LB for when Borna s out -- Halliday and Flanagan can both GTF - nether is competent to play that role.  

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

If listening to a few minute long interview literally puts you to sleep I'd be seeing a doctor mate.

Tbh, If Gerrard is happy that he's the best pick as leader from the squad he has, he's in a far better position than most of us to judge.

For someone usually so opinionated, you are basically saying  Tavernier is a good captain because the gaffer says so not because you say so.  He also thinks Ojo is playing well based on the amount of minutes he gets, then you must agree with that as well I suppose.

We lack a leader. it is clear as day to see that. I wouldn't necessarily say that is panic merchant stuff but it is a concern.

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

If they had 5 games  before we next played would we chuck in the towel because we were 17 points behind them? If we can get the points later we can get the points. 

Not the point, going to the piggery 2 behind is a lot easier pressure wise than going there 5 behind, game in hand or not id rather have the points on the board

Switch it around, do you think the tarriers will feel more pressure with a 2 point lead or a 5 point lead, 

When you are trying to win a league, go 2 up and not giving a sniff to your opponents to then capitulate defensively and gift two goals is not acceptable to anyone.  If someone accepts that as a point gained last night then you need a word with yourself.  Aberdeen are utter shite and did nothing but kick and rush us, yet we didn’t regroup or get back to what put us 2up. The team in the first 40mins could win the league, the team after that definitely won’t. 

Say what you like, the performance outside of 30 minutes last night was not acceptable. We can't get the best of Porto and Feyenoord then go on and let these amateurs take points off us when they were abysmal all night. They didn't rally against us and up their game. They were shit and we let them walk the ball into our net twice. It was a disgrace of a performance.

10 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

I don’t think it’s the fact we drew at pittodrie or were 2 points behind, it’s how we’re 2 points behind. Hamilton equalised and the scum went all out to win and scored less than two minutes later, Aberdeen equalise and we look like we can’t wait for the game to be over. The way both teams reacted to the same situation couldn’t be more different and that’s extremely worrying.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

For someone usually so opinionated, you are basically saying  Tavernier is a good captain because the gaffer says so not because you say so.  He also thinks Ojo is playing well based on the amount of minutes he gets, then you must agree with that as well I suppose.

We lack a leader. it is clear as day to see that. I wouldn't necessarily say that is panic merchant stuff but it is a concern.

No, I'm saying Gerrard has a better idea of the suitability of the players in his squad than we do looking in from the outside. Whether that's down to working with them every day his own experience as captain or a mix of a few different things, Gerrard (and the players) all seem to speak really highly of Tav's captaincy. I actually think the overall importance of the role is massively overplayed tbh.

If guys like Davis, Arfield, McGregor etc need a wee strip of fabric on their arm to boot folks arses - or to step up their own game - when necessary then they aren't great fits for the role.

Archived