Do we lack the killer instinct?

Thermopylae

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Yes. Have done for ages.

Perhaps it's the one thing that you just can't buy? I do know that the history of football is littered with teams who play the beautiful game and yet don't win much because they just don't have the mental toughness to do the business when it really maters 

Certain players lack in a winning mentality, I guess this is similar to what you mean by killer instinct?  Because Morelos certainly has killer instinct in front of goal.

Its players like Tav, serial losers, who worry me the most when it comes to instinct.

55 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I do know that the history of football is littered with teams who play the beautiful game and yet don't win much because they just don't have the mental toughness to do the business when it really maters 

Or in  any sport tbh. Colin Montgomerie in golf (5 times runner up in majors); Jimmy White in snooker (7 time runner up at World Championship). Hugely gifted bottle merchants sadly.

We have mental toughness in the team. You can see the hunger in Kent & Morelos particularly. Those guys believe in themselves 100% and, just as important, believe they can be winners this season.

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

Perhaps it's the one thing that you just can't buy?

Yeah, agreed. I don't think you can buy it. So it's up to the manager to identify the players that DO have the mental toughness and bring them forward whilst gently pulling back the guy who simply doesn't have the ability to rally the troops and lead by example.

We lack a killer, never mind instinct.

We need the midfield general who takes no prisoners. Good ability, but cynical, with the badness running through him.

Let it rub off on the others and those not showing a spine can fuck off. Slap those two girl's blouses in central defence. They'd never be off the bench.

5 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

We lack a killer, never mind instinct.

We need the midfield general who takes no prisoners. Good ability, but cynical, with the badness running through him.

Let it rub off on the others and those not showing a spine can fuck off. Slap those two girl's blouses in central defence. They'd never be off the bench.

What I would give for a player like this in our midfield again 

We lack leaders. We lack fight. We're playing a first eleven week in and week out that is at least 2 or 3 men down.

The manager and the other 7 or 8 players must be amazing considering we're 2 points off the mental strength champions of the world, in 2 cups and a home draw away from the next round of the second biggest club competition in Europe.

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Aye, that's THE man!

No cunt is bullying us with that in the team!

Shame they don’t make them like Souness anymore mate and even if they did in the modern game he’d end up spending more time in the stands than on the pitch through suspension.

We can dream though 😆

The player who should be the leader is always youre captain. Unfortunately our captain isn't and never will be a leader. If we had rightfully been given that penalty its even money that he would even have scored it under the pressure. He isn't maybe as bad a player as some make out but you would be doing him a favour taking the captaincy off him, its too heavy a burden for him. Youre either cut out for it or you aren't. Not picking on him specifically but he perfectly epitomises whats wrong mentally with the whole team.

We lack a player or 2 that no matter how poor of a game they’re having they never hide.

A player like Baz- even if he was having a poor game he would still let others know if they weren’t doing their own jobs.  That’s what captains and winners do.  Now and I don’t like singling out or players but when Davis is having an off game or goldson all I seem to see is heads down and looking for the easy way out.  I don’t see this hard working grafter in the middle that keeps trying to keep the standards high, I rarely see a player that demands the ball when the going gets tough.   
Barry Ferguson, Ian Ferguson, Stuart McCall would’ve relished that game last night. 

We lack a sheer will to win. We won’t play great football for 90mins or every game but our previous title winning teams would have got 3pts last night, even if dragged back to 2-2, we would have still gotten it over the line.
Also, sick of any pish suggesting it’s a tough away fixture, they are gash with zero tactics other than punt and rush and we got dragged down to their level.  We should have murdered them last night and in a tight title race you just cannot give up points like that. It wasn’t from anything they did or create, we fucked it up.  
There’s clearly lots of positives this season and we are much stronger but SG’s inability to change things when it’s going against us is bordering on Warburton now.  Drop the offenders, kick their arses big style, stop persevering with shite bags when we need to tough games out and make the captain someone who won’t accept second best cos he can still drive his Lambo home whatever the result.  Don’t even need to go as far back as Souness, Barry and Fernando as captains wouldn’t have accepted that shite last night. 

Archived