Tavernier

Essandoh

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Our holding midfielders still don’t protect the back four enough. St Mirren’s break in the first half where Balogun made the great cover tackle. Jack was far too high up the pitch given both full backs were level with their penalty box. 

Its inexcusable that we are playing 3 centre mids and can get caught short like that. 

Either Kamara or Jack need to do better at dropping into that hole and protecting the centre backs when Tav and Barisic bomb forward.

You cant blame one st mirren player getting the ball running straight at goldson and going by him like he wasnt there, on the holding mids 😅😅

That break in the first half was purely goldson being half arsed tackling the boy and balogun having to bail him out

5 minutes ago, OhW said:

Are both of our full backs getting too old to play in our system? 

What? Barisic is the croatian left back and flying for us the now, going by players, throwing cross after cross onto strikers heads

Tav is playing very much like a 200k english journeyman we bought under Warburton 

Tav's probably had the opportunity to go to someone like a West Brom on a few occasions but stuck with us and I'd say his defending over the past year has got a hell of a lot better from what it was, whilst underfire the most out of any player as the buck stops with the skipper. He's grown into that role and seems like one of our best professionals. Not to mention his numbers even though they were padded out with pens etc, he was a huge contributor to assists and what challenge we did make. I'd love for him to do it and lift the league this year, from where we have came from and the work he's put in to get here, when it would have been so easy to have escaped the pressure of the goldfish bowl and move to the Championship probably on more money too.  Huge chance to be our captain,leader and legend this year. Go on the tav.

2 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Tav's probably had the opportunity to go to someone like a West Brom on a few occasions but stuck with us and I'd say his defending over the past year has got a hell of a lot better from what it was, whilst underfire the most out of any player as the buck stops with the skipper. He's grown into that role and seems like one of our best professionals. Not to mention his numbers even though they were padded out with pens etc, he was a huge contributor to assists and what challenge we did make. I'd love for him to do it and lift the league this year, from where we have came from and the work he's put in to get here, when it would have been so easy to have escaped the pressure of the goldfish bowl and move to the Championship probably on more money too.  Huge chance to be our captain,leader and legend this year. Go on the tav.

No it's not.

Probably one of the most boring debates our support has, and it’s not even a debate - he’s a key player. Tav had a rocky patch last season but that was his first since joining the club and he’s been a consistent performer ever since.

He’s become this strange whipping boy ever since those comments in the programme last year. Some of our fans have an unhealthy obsession with him because of that, I didn’t agree with those comments he made but time to let them go I think. 

He had a good game today and we are still yet to concede in the league this season. 

Just now, British_Empire said:

Can't say I noticed before mate haha. No offence meant.

was only joking. Nah, but to back it up I guess I remember him getting turned inside out from any old winger and nightmares against THEM but since that game December 29 2018 with Jack scoring and finally beating them I felt he then got the confidence after having their winger in his back pocket and stepping up in OF's and Europe at times. Although, a few blemishes on the record v Young Boys etc and bad clearances. I'm just saying hes got a lot better at that side of the game I feel and 1v1's when his strength was always clearly going forward.

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

Probably one of the most boring debates our support has, and it’s not even a debate Tav had a rocky patch last season but that was his first since joining the club and he’s been a consistent performer ever since.

He’s become this strange whipping boy ever since those comments in the programme last year. Some of our fans have an unhealthy obsession with him because of that, I didn’t agree with those comments he made but time to let them go I think. 

He had a good game today and we are still yet to concede in the league this season. 

Tbh mate he's not been a strange whipping boy since the comments in the Hamilton game

The issues folk have with with him have been the same issues for 3 years now

11 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Tav's probably had the opportunity to go to someone like a West Brom on a few occasions but stuck with us and I'd say his defending over the past year has got a hell of a lot better from what it was

Fuck sake. Here we go again. 

Genuinely can't remember one winger domestically who's had the better of him over the course of a game since Gerrard's come in.

Wins far more 1 v 1s than players getting by him. 

He's not faultless by any means but we haven't a single player who is. That's why they're with us and not at a top club in the EPL.

17 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Tbh mate he's not been a strange whipping boy since the comments in the Hamilton game

The issues folk have with with him have been the same issues for 3 years now

Fair, but only confirms how boring it is! :lol:

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Genuinely can't remember one winger domestically who's had the better of him over the course of a game since Gerrard's come in.

Wins far more 1 v 1s than players getting by him. 

He's not faultless by any means but we haven't a single player who is. That's why they're with us and not at a top club in the EPL.

Thing is mate, you don't need a winger to rip him when he's constantly out of position and sleeping. Opposition target him. They admit it (or do afterwards)

They can drag him about everywhere. 

I do agree tho (in his defence) than when it bounces near him and it's 1 vs 1 he does well 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Thing is mate, you don't need a winger to rip him when he's constantly out of position and sleeping. Opposition target him. They admit it (or do afterwards)

They can drag him about everywhere. 

I do agree tho (in his defence) than when it bounces near him and it's 1 vs 1 he does well 

Don't agree it's constantly but I'd agree that's his main fault.

What you get in return is probably the best athlete in the league, probably the best 1 v 1 full back in the league (alongside or bar Barisic), probably the best crosser of a ball in the league (alongside or bar Barisic), probably the most technical full back in the league bar Barisic and so on and so forth. I've seen balls pinged at him he's had no right to bring down and he's cushioned it like it was nothing.

If he was as elite at defensive positioning and all round reading of the game as he was at some of the things he excels at (at his best, I think he's lost a bit going forward over the past year or so) he'd be at an Arsenal or someone. But he's not, the same way Barisic's lack of pace will probably hold him back from playing at the very top end of the league in England.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Don't agree it's constantly but I'd agree that's his main fault.

What you get in return is probably the best athlete in the league, probably the best 1 v 1 full back in the league (alongside or bar Barisic), probably the best crosser of a ball in the league (alongside or bar Barisic), probably the most technical full back in the league bar Barisic and so on and so forth. I've seen balls pinged at him he's had no right to bring down and he's cushioned it like it was nothing.

If he was as elite at defensive positioning and all round reading of the game as he was at some of the things he excels at (at his best, I think he's lost a bit going forward over the past year or so) he'd be at an Arsenal or someone. But he's not, the same way Barisic's lack of pace will probably hold him back from playing at the very top end of the league in England.

Couple bits of that I don't agree with mate but fair enough. It's just about opinions and you're constructive enough there. 

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

Doesn't matter - if you're a Rangers fan you (should) strive for the best.

He's our captain and an awful right-back. 

I do get folk saying we won today and I admit it was a good day - but why ignore glaring problems in our side? guys a clown. Everyone knows it.

Honestly mate.  You’re clearly hurting about something.  Haven’t read all your posts but we’re top of the league.  

Sandy jardine and Hutton apart I think Tav is best right full back in years.  He has defensive lapses and crossing lapses but I think had most assists last 2 years? Despite his “shit crissing”

1 goal conceded in all games against possible German tournament winners.  He did not have a good game there but few did. 

If you”re Rangers fan then try not to call our captain a clown. 

Please.  Just to keep an older guy happy who used to go watch Jim Denny at full back. 

Archived