***Europa League Last 32 Draw***

G.E.C.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Blumhoilann said:

Strange ground,ballboys would need mountain climbing boots at each end and a long pole and net to get Goldson's headers out of the river 🙂

I’m gutted I can’t make this as I’ve always wanted to go to that ground since Euro 2004.

Apparently attacking players don’t like it as without the crowd it’s quite difficult to see the goal as it just blends in with the rock.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m gutted I can’t make this as I’ve always wanted to go to that ground since Euro 2004.

Apparently attacking players don’t like it as without the crowd it’s quite difficult to see the goal as it just blends in with the rock.

Need to get a training session in a quarry somewhere ASAP to combat this. 

Just had a good look at the stadium online, interesting. Particularly the plaza underneath the pitch for moving from one stand to the other. Won a few awards.

"The stadium is situated in an isolated, urban area on the north flank of Monte do Castro, in the sporting park of Dume. The stadium was carved from the Monte do Castro quarry that overlooked Braga; stands were constructed on either side of the pitch, while one of the goal backdrops was carved from the rock walls of the quarry. The opposite goal backdrop is dominated by the city sprawl. Each stand is covered with a canopy-style roof and connected by dozens of steel strings, a design inspired by ancient South American Incan bridges. Movement between stands is accomplished through a 5,000 square metres (0.0050 km2) plaza under the pitch."

Archived