Why can't we hold on?

j1mgg

Gerrard needs to be more flexible in the way he sets up teams depending on how the game is going. Tonight , the YB no 3 was towing a caravan all night and a switch from Aribo to a more natural , pacy wide right should have stretched the game. Instead Aribo and Arfield camped in which also meant Tav was deeper. 4-3-3 is his we play but should not be the only way we play. The last 3 games show we need to have the ability ( which I Believe  we do in this squad ) to adapt. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Yermawsa said:

Gerrard needs to be more flexible in the way he sets up teams depending on how the game is going. Tonight , the YB no 3 was towing a caravan all night and a switch from Aribo to a more natural , pacy wide right should have stretched the game. Instead Aribo and Arfield camped in which also meant Tav was deeper. 4-3-3 is his we play but should not be the only way we play. The last 3 games show we need to have the ability ( which I Believe  we do in this squad ) to adapt. 

Candeias would gave had a field day!!!!!

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Lack of quality in final third and midfield means we can’t retain possession therefore we can’t push out.

Ryan Jack & Alfredo Morelos are the two best players in Scotland. We certainly don't lack quality going forward.  Granted, the last 20 minutes tonight our possession was awful but that is very rare. Silly defensive mistakes is usually the problem for conceding leads.

I think we badly lack a cutting edge from the wide attackers who should be scoring a lot more goals.  Kent has many good attributes but scoring doesn't seem to be one of them.  We need Kent to score 10-15 a season and someone else doing the same over on the right.  If we had that cutting edge teams like Aberdeen and Young Boys would be punished for throwing everything forward.  It needs addressed and I'm sure the manager is aware of that.

King and Ojo should be straight back to their parent clubs on the 1st/January.  Bring us in a wide player that can score us some goals over on that ride side and we'll look a much better team.  Taking the pressure off Alfredo would probably do him some good as well.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Ryan Jack & Alfredo Morelos are the two best players in Scotland. We certainly don't lack quality going forward.  Granted, the last 20 minutes tonight our possession was awful but that is very rare. Silly defensive mistakes is usually the problem for conceding leads.

That’s two players out of 6, granted Davis would help but that’s still 3 men not up to it.

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

We have a quality striker but he needs more quality either side of him.  I like Kent and hope he can develop in to a very dangerous player for us.  That right side is a mess.  Barker, Ojo, and Stewart aren't trusted to play there.  Arfield was given a run in that position and failed to make an impact.  Aribo now being shoehorned out there.  We need a quality player brought in to play that position.

I thought tactics or intention changed when we came out after the break. Alfredo became more isolated as we sat off them, tempo slowed, passes became longer and less accurate.

Again as crosses started to be allowed, if not encouraged by the space we gave them, their chance became more frequent and we are not good at defending crosses and long balls.

We need to play on the front food and press for more than 45 minutes.

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

We have a quality striker but he needs more quality either side of him.  I like Kent and hope he can develop in to a very dangerous player for us.  That right side is a mess.  Barker, Ojo, and Stewart aren't trusted to play there.  Arfield was given a run in that position and failed to make an impact.  Aribo now being shoehorned out there.  We need a quality player brought in to play that position.

The right side was the best it has been all season tonight, Arfield is a midfield player and should never play out wide.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

That’s two players out of 6, granted Davis would help but that’s still 3 men not up to it.

You don't think Kamara isn't doing a job? (apart from second-half tonight). Arfield looks more comfortable again playing  inside and lets face it Ryan Kent can only get better going forward. Not to mention, Aribo's best game tonight imo. I don't think going forward is a problem. Anyway, we are through, bring on Sunday!

We have a big first team squad but not enough quality outwith the first eleven to bring on when players have burst a gut.Second half last night perfect example.If we could have brought on Three quality subs in  the second half  the game would have been completely different.We are through and thats what counts right now.We have moved forward so quickly under Gerard and he will continue to improve us.WATP.

10 hours ago, doc holliday said:

Naivety and inexperience to a certain extent.

On one  notable occasion near the end of the game we should have ran the ball into the far corner but gave it away as quickly as we got it.

This! Our game management isn’t the best. If you look at teams that play against us they totally kill the game with time wasting. Tarriers on Sunday are a prime example. About 4 of their players went down kidding on they were injured and ran down the clock.

Did I miss the fact that we actually qualified? Did people see the group of champions league teams that we overcame to qualify? 

IMO we were knackered pure and simple. Sunday the players gave their all and last night in the first half they did the same 

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

The right side was the best it has been all season tonight, Arfield is a midfield player and should never play out wide.

Arfield is absolutely nowhere near good enough for where we want to be.

A grafter who would run through a wall but his ball retention is terrible.

We were a bawhair off topping the group, should have battered celtic on an energy sapping Hampden, 4 days later we play really well first half in trying conditions, the fittest players on the planet would be struggling ffs, a team will always have a little spell of danger v us making a chance or two and I'm glad they never scored earlier, but overall o a delighted to be in the hat.

Archived