Sign in to follow this  
j1mgg

Why can't we hold on?

20 hours ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

To be fair YB are back to back Swiss champions and the league leaders this season, they are a far better side than many on here think. Doesn’t change the fact we should have beaten them last night and probably away as well. 

I said immediately after the Y.B. away leg that snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory,  would come back to haunt us in December,  we should easily have topped the group.  However qualifying is still an outstanding achievement. 

delparlane likes this

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

A serious lack of a winning mentality coupled by a tactic of sitting on slender leads is why we can’t hold on.

You could see our whole teams mentality change as soon as we sat in. Started to panic in possession. Failure to do the basics in simple situations. Tavernier at the end with the 3 on 1 counter from the free kick was actually embarrassingly bad. 

I would agree but YB changed their style to pressing us high and launching high balls so we couldnt dominate as we did in the first half

Plus their goal had about 6 games of good luck thrown into it

51 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I would agree but YB changed their style to pressing us high and launching high balls so we couldnt dominate as we did in the first half

Plus their goal had about 6 games of good luck thrown into it

I agree about their goal being fortunate but if teams simply pressing us higher changes the way we play so dramatically then we are in trouble. We allowed their centre half a free walk onto the halfway line under no pressure at all to launch high balls to the big guy they put on. It happened time and time again. We allowed ourselves to be pushed back by playing deep. 

22 hours ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

To be fair YB are back to back Swiss champions and the league leaders this season, they are a far better side than many on here think. Doesn’t change the fact we should have beaten them last night and probably away as well. 

Maybe, still shouldn’t be considered a CL team though

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

It’s the difference between us and them, they can protect a one goal lead, even with 10 men, we just lose our bottle.

Needs to be sorted and pronto.

To be fair it's a 'fairly recent' phenomenon, last season we have been known to hold out for a few results back to wall. Good few last season

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

They did change their game second half, I predicted it in the match thread, we should be ready to handle that kind of change.

What angers me is we had the exact same experience against the sheep when they changed it and learned nothing

And how do you handle a change of that style, the best part of our team is our midfield, once that's bypassed there isnt much we can do, and tbh we were very comfortable defending until they got some amount of luck with their goal, 

3 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

It’s the difference between us and them, they can protect a one goal lead, even with 10 men, we just lose our bottle.

Needs to be sorted and pronto.

Our defence is far too inconsistent one minute  they defend for their lives the next they shoot themselves in the foot and give away easy goals. It something Gerrard needs to sort and sort soon as you say mate.

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And how do you handle a change of that style, the best part of our team is our midfield, once that's bypassed there isnt much we can do, 

Always think if you’re one up and have decided to defend that lead you have to bring on another centre back or defensive midfielder to screen in front of  the back 4. You would think Edmunson or Katic would be ideal. This enables the midfield to spread out and cover the wings also.

We need a little more quality in the 1st 11.  A little more quality on the bench.  

We play such a fast paced, pressing game that players tend to get tired easier. I don't even think it's a fitness issue, I just think it's a very very demanding style of football we play. Which is why we need better options from the bench.  We need to be able to swap players out and rest them as and when needed without worrying that there is too much of a drop in quality in the replacement.

We are very very close to having a top side again.  It's going to cost some decent money to do it.  We may well have to cash in on a player or two to fund bringing in quality right through the team.  We are too weak in options on the wing, and to an extent in midfield.

Tiredness may well be as important as tactics.   8 or 9 players are involved in every match and we could do with a couple of additions that could hold their own in a starting eleven rather than be replacements from the bench.  

49 minutes ago, gogzy said:

We need a little more quality in the 1st 11.  A little more quality on the bench.  

We play such a fast paced, pressing game that players tend to get tired easier. I don't even think it's a fitness issue, I just think it's a very very demanding style of football we play. Which is why we need better options from the bench.  We need to be able to swap players out and rest them as and when needed without worrying that there is too much of a drop in quality in the replacement.

We are very very close to having a top side again.  It's going to cost some decent money to do it.  We may well have to cash in on a player or two to fund bringing in quality right through the team.  We are too weak in options on the wing, and to an extent in midfield.

Don't think it's in the midfield that's the problem it's on the wing where we play 2 midfielders out of position. 

1 hour ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Always think if you’re one up and have decided to defend that lead you have to bring on another centre back or defensive midfielder to screen in front of  the back 4. You would think Edmunson or Katic would be ideal. This enables the midfield to spread out and cover the wings also.

Dont think we had another defender other than flanagan on the bench, as i said we were defending very well until 3 bits of pure luck got them their goal

5 hours ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Our defence is far too inconsistent one minute  they defend for their lives the next they shoot themselves in the foot and give away easy goals. It something Gerrard needs to sort and sort soon as you say mate.

That goal was anything but a giveaway, 3 major bits of luck cost us 

Defence as per goldson...undroppable unless injury.

The ojo effect is the one I'm bothered about most, raging infact. Still hoping the media get hold of how much we want to punt him back to liverpool asap n Gerrard gets grilled n telks us the deal. No justification in his inclusion on constant 18s n always our first sub.

May just haunt Gerrard infact.

Kamara and aribo are raw talents, projects for Gerrard. We are a candeias away from smashing teams like young boys on Thursday...

Candeias smashed that weakness down their left and causes that big no 3 CB havoc.

1 hour ago, LV said:

Don't think it's in the midfield that's the problem it's on the wing where we play 2 midfielders out of position. 

Always counted the wings as midfield roles mate.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

That goal was anything but a giveaway, 3 major bits of luck cost us 

I agree but watch it again mate goldson should have been able to block the ball coming into the box. Too much hesitation I know he doesn't want to give away a penalty but he could of done more. 

I think it's down to mentality , the players get nervous at the end of games and by sitting deep only invites pressure and the possibility to lose a goal.

To be fair they threw the kitchen sink at us in the second half and I thought we stood pretty strong, they had to win to qualify so no surprise they gave it everything.

It only goes to show the importance of taking your chances, we were really good in that first half and really have to be more ruthless.