Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lerxst

Nico is the answer

Recommended Posts


He gave away a penalty on Sunday by losing his man and trying to play catch up. 

I’m not having a go or anything but all three of our centre backs have made mistakes this season. I genuinely don’t know which one or pair is better than the other. 

I personally would like to see Katic and Helander together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helander gives me the fear with his lack of pace. 

He seems a decent reader of the game and a calm head at the back and if we didn’t have Katic then I could live with Helander.

But we DO have Katic and I don’t believe he deserves to be playing second fiddle to a Goldson Helander partnership. 

Yes he makes mistakes. But no more than any of the other Centre half’s And probably less. Yes he can be over enthusiastic and try to tackle everything but he also is the youngest so with the most potential growth given experience and good coaching. 

As others have said, he does not deserve to lose the jersey right now And I really hope he doesn’t. 

lerxst likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still young and makes stupid errors from time to time I like the big man tho. 

Out of him and Phil tho?

We are gonna need both to win this title so get behind them both troops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helander has everything I’d want in a centre half except for the fact that he can’t fucking move. Like Davie Weir but instead of just being old and a bit slow he seriously cannot move and might be the slowest footballer I’ve ever seen

Katic must keep his place, will he have the odd lapse? Yes but he’s still young and very raw, has always stood up and performed when it mattered and has far more upside than Helander 

Can see Goldson is more confident to go and attack the ball when he has the insurance of someone with a bit of pace next to him as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

Helander gives me the fear with his lack of pace. 

He seems a decent reader of the game and a calm head at the back and if we didn’t have Katic then I could live with Helander.

But we DO have Katic and I don’t believe he deserves to be playing second fiddle to a Goldson Helander partnership. 

Yes he makes mistakes. But no more than any of the other Centre half’s And probably less. Yes he can be over enthusiastic and try to tackle everything but he also is the youngest so with the most potential growth given experience and good coaching. 

As others have said, he does not deserve to lose the jersey right now And I really hope he doesn’t. 

Plus he’s a threat at corners 

Redwhiteandblue likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Helander has everything I’d want in a centre half except for the fact that he can’t fucking move. Like Davie Weir but instead of just being old and a bit slow he seriously cannot move and might be the slowest footballer I’ve ever seen

Katic must keep his place, will he have the odd lapse? Yes but he’s still young and very raw, has always stood up and performed when it mattered and has far more upside than Helander 

Can see Goldson is more confident to go and attack the ball when he has the insurance of someone with a bit of pace next to him as well

It's not that he can't move, it's that he's spent most of career playing in backs to the wall type teams and its taken him a while to get his head round playing on the half way line for the majority of the games he starts.

Football is the most complicated simple game there is and people just think if you play well as a CB, for instance, in one team that plays a certain way you should just be able to slot in and play well in a team that play another way.

There's a reason why Van Dijk is so highly rated. He's went from playing for Southampton, backs to the wall, to playing for a team that's on the attack constantly and he took to it like he'd being doing it all his career.

Look at how we played when Davie Weir was brought in. That is easily the most defensive, compact Rangers side in my life time, even domestically Walter was very cautious with his tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

It's not that he can't move, it's that he's spent most of career playing in backs to the wall type teams and its taken him a while to get his head round playing on the half way line for the majority of the games he starts.

Football is the most complicated simple game there is and people just think if you play well as a CB, for instance, in one team that plays a certain way you should just be able to slot in and play well in a team that play another way.

There's a reason why Van Dijk is so highly rated. He's went from playing for Southampton, backs to the wall, to playing for a team that's on the attack constantly and he took to it like he'd being doing it all his career.

Look at how we played when Davie Weir was brought in. That is easily the most defensive, compact Rangers side in my life time, even domestically Walter was very cautious with his tactics.

I think Walter Smith only spent £3m on the squad he built the second time he was our manager.  It was a masterpiece what he did with that squad. Won 3 in a row, a couple of cups (4 I think?)  and a UEFA cup final. The football was brutal to watch at times, but we would get the occasional Boyd 35yrd volley against St Midden or Novo belting a cup winning volley that will stick in the memory forever along with winning a cup with 9 men. He built a team that just had one aim - WIN. That day at Kilmarnock which couldn't have happened if McGregor didn't save that penalty against the scum will live in the mind forever which is hopefully an omen for this season 🙏

Anyway, Niko Katic is our best defender.  I'm raging that he missed out on development last season for that fucking lanky useless cunt. 

Just think how good he would be right now if he played all of last season... 

GA1972 and Sweettartangirl like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I think Walter Smith only spent £3m on the squad he built the second time he was our manager. 

That can’t be right. He sold Hutton and Cuellar for a combined 17 million but even with that factored in his net spend would still have been more than 3 million. He signed a lot of players in his second spell for what was decent money at that time - Thomson, McCulloch, Miller, Cuellar, Mendes, Lafferty, Davis, Edu, Bougherra, Velicka, Cousin, Beattie, Jelavic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That’s not right. He sold Hutton and Cuellar for a combined 17 million but even with that factored in his net spend would still have been more than 3 million. He signed a lot of players in his second spell for what was decent money at that time - Thomson(£3), McCulloch(Bosman), Miller(Bosman), Cuellar(Bosman then sold for £8m), Mendes(£3m), Lafferty(£3m😩), Davis(£3m), Edu(£1m), Bougherra(£3m), Velicka(Bosman??), Cousin(£3m), Beattie(Bosman??), Jelavic(£4/5m?) 

Bank debt brought down from £80m to £18m  

Relatively speaking, he done some job for the cash spent. I don't think there is anyone else out there who could've done the job he done with what he inherited. 

The memories he gave me and I guess others is priceless.  Some of my best days following our club came in his second spell. 

 

(I edited your post above 👍)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

That can’t be right. He sold Hutton and Cuellar for a combined 17 million but even with that factored in his net spend would still have been more than 3 million. He signed a lot of players in his second spell for what was decent money at that time - Thomson, McCulloch, Miller, Cuellar, Mendes, Lafferty, Davis, Edu, Bougherra, Velicka, Cousin, Beattie, Jelavic

He spent over 2mill on cuellar, bought him from osassuna if memory serves me right after seeing him when they put us out of the UEFA cup

DBBTB and Redwhiteandblue like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Bank debt brought down from £80m to £18m  

Relatively speaking, he done some job for the cash spent. I don't think there is anyone else out there who could've done the job he done with what he inherited. 

The memories he gave me and I guess others is priceless.  Some of my best days following our club came in his second spell. 

 

(I edited your post above 👍)

Who do you think played a part in putting the bank debt up (it wasnt at 80mill around walters time as well btw) 

When plg came in murray had reduced the debt to around 5mill, le guen barely spent a penny and we had a good euro run either side of him coming and going

When smith came back we spent a good few quid on the guys that got us to the UEFA cup final, what really humped us was the following season he was allowed to spend money, fucked it against kaunas, then still spent more, then we heard the rumours of the bank running the club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

It's not that he can't move, it's that he's spent most of career playing in backs to the wall type teams and its taken him a while to get his head round playing on the half way line for the majority of the games he starts.

Football is the most complicated simple game there is and people just think if you play well as a CB, for instance, in one team that plays a certain way you should just be able to slot in and play well in a team that play another way.

There's a reason why Van Dijk is so highly rated. He's went from playing for Southampton, backs to the wall, to playing for a team that's on the attack constantly and he took to it like he'd being doing it all his career.

Look at how we played when Davie Weir was brought in. That is easily the most defensive, compact Rangers side in my life time, even domestically Walter was very cautious with his tactics.

Its not even the backs to the wall stuff, he's played in europe all his life, and in europe they play a good number of build up passes etc to get from A to B, in scotland they launch missiles from A to B and he's constantly bombarded with long direct balls in the air that he looks highly uncomfortabe with, especially when he has a 6ft5 caber tossing lump of brick elbowing fuck out of him all game lol

Getstiffed likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the worst CH pairing, that we have, is goldson and helander so what the fuck SG thinks he is doing, shoehorning them in together, is beyond me. Neither have the necessary pace so combining them is beyond madness.

Redwhiteandblue and GA1972 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Bank debt brought down from £80m to £18m  

Relatively speaking, he done some job for the cash spent. I don't think there is anyone else out there who could've done the job he done with what he inherited. 

The memories he gave me and I guess others is priceless.  Some of my best days following our club came in his second spell. 

 

(I edited your post above 👍)

It doesn’t change how great a job Smith did in his second spell but McCulloch, Miller, Cuellar, Velicka & Beattie all cost money. None of them were Bosmans. The first three were 2-2.5 million each alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

It doesn’t change how great a job Smith did in his second spell but McCulloch, Miller, Cuellar, Velicka & Beattie all cost money. None of them were Bosmans. The first three were 2-2.5 million each alone.

Then you add in lafferty, mendes, edu, bougherra, whittaker, davis, naismith, jelavic, thomson, thats over 20mill in fees alone there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Big fan of Niko and he’s only going to get better 

Goldson Katic for me mate 

Katic /Helander for me .Goldson ....well you can’t argue with his record .Doesn’t convince me tbh .And it trully amazes me sometimes .We don’t get punished for much of his slack play 

Like them all so it’s a very good predicament for our Manager 

Tiger Shaw likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just thinking we've had a good few goals from our center halfs this season..katic 5? Goldson 2? Helander 3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...