Game in Hand

Klos' Glove

When is the game v St Johnstone going to be scheduled? Looks like 8th Feb is the only available date before April - any reason it's not been scheduled for that date already? Danger is if we don't play it then we get into a 2008 situation with a massive fixture pile up at the business end of the season.

1 minute ago, Klos' Glove said:

When is the game v St Johnstone going to be scheduled? Looks like 8th Feb is the only available date before April - any reason it's not been scheduled for that date already? Danger is if we don't play it then we get into a 2008 situation with a massive fixture pile up at the business end of the season.

Scottish Cup 5th round is scheduled for 8th of February. Could be into March/April before we have a free slot. Bit of a cunt.

If it was me I’d be ignoring the game and hand and be trying to motivate the team to get above the scum without it.

I’d be treating it psychologically like we are still two points behind. Then once we get the chance of playing the game in hand we might not need it.

2 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

If it was me I’d be ignoring the game and hand and be trying to motivate the team to get above the scum without it.

I’d be treating it psychologically like we are still two points behind. Then once we get the chance of playing the game in hand we might not need it.

That's exactly the attitude. The game in hand will only mean anything if we get to it in our current position or better. 

Are we gonna go between now and that st.Johnstone game with a 100%record highly unlikely imo

Really don't care about when the game in hand is played. The fact that we have it, and go top after winning it, is all I need to know.

Gerrard will be drumming into the squad that it's one game at a time. Scottish Cup then St Mirren. Look no further forward than that.

9 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Really don't care about when the game in hand is played. The fact that we have it, and go top after winning it, is all I need to know.

Gerrard will be drumming into the squad that it's one game at a time. Scottish Cup then St Mirren. Look no further forward than that.

If its one game at a time you shouldnt have mentioned St. Mirren!

43 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

That's exactly the attitude. The game in hand will only mean anything if we get to it in our current position or better. 

Are we gonna go between now and that st.Johnstone game with a 100%record highly unlikely imo

It is unlikely I agree, but as you know if you are good at what you do it’s ok to have an aim or goal that is perhaps unlikely. But it is that lofty standard which increases your performance to be better than what you would have been without it.

4 hours ago, Klos' Glove said:

Remember how shambles that was ! fighting for 4 trophies zero help ! 

4 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

I agree with ignoring it and the goal should be to get in front of them even with that game up our sleeve. There is little chance of us not needing it by the time we play it, if by that you mean we have the league won. It will need to be played before the split, even if it means us playing 4 games in 8 days or something like that. 

4 hours ago, Klos' Glove said:

BT screwed it for us by scheduling our gave v hibs on Friday 20th December, meaning that we couldn't play it on the 18th December. 

11 minutes ago, Bill8972 said:

BT screwed it for us by scheduling our gave v hibs on Friday 20th December, meaning that we couldn't play it on the 18th December. 

We won the OF game which was a huge battle. We looked dead on our feet 70 odd minutes on. We don't know what would've happened if we'd have played an extra game midweek, or indeed the hibs game itself might've been a lot tougher. 

23 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

We won the OF game which was a huge battle. We looked dead on our feet 70 odd minutes on. We don't know what would've happened if we'd have played an extra game midweek, or indeed the hibs game itself might've been a lot tougher. 

Good point. 

Imo we should be making subs earlier and protecting our main men when we can. 

Got Jones and Stewart etc kicking about that we should give more game time too.

36 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Would rather the Scottish cup final was the last day of our double winning season tbh

Triple including the EL. I'm not asking the question because I think we should be relying on it to get ahead in the league. More because I'm concerned about a 5 games in 10 days type scenario like we had 12 years ago potentially costing us a couple of trophies.

4 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

Can give it to us the day before the Scottish cup final as the last game of the season for all I care.

Scottish cup final is before the league finishes this season so they can get hampden ready for the euros 

10 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

Spot on.

The bigger picture is that the league needs to grow some balls and create a stronger negotiating position with the TV companies.

We had a perfectly good fixture list until they came along and fucked it up.

As it is just now, the TV companies say "jump", and the league just asks "how high?".

4 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

The bigger picture is that the league needs to grow some balls and create a stronger negotiating position with the TV companies.

We had a perfectly good fixture list until they came along and fucked it up.

As it is just now, the TV companies say "jump", and the league just asks "how high?".

Sky have recently given us a 5 year deal worth £160m for exclusive rights to our matches starting from 2020, while they have given the English Premier League £3.58b over 3 years for a selection of matches. Which is £32m per season for us and about £1.193b per season for them. They have even given the lower division English Football Leagues £595m over 5 years, which is almost 372% more than us and they're not even playing top flight football. I think we suffer from our national broadcasters taking our money and ploughing it into the English league. It would be interesting to see the figures of what they take from us and what they give back to our game.

Another issue, of course, is that the vast majority of people would rather watch a dug chase its own arse than watch any match in the SPL outwith the OF. Seems like most Scottish clubs are solely interested in throwing hammers, long ball tactics and I suspect most (if not all) of them would rather take a dull draw than attempt to play any kind of entertaining football.

Archived