What ifs, Billy Gilmour

pcbear

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Did you watch the podcast he was on with his da? Billy (and his da, for one of them anyway) seemed sensible with his head screwed on and all out to do what he can to reach the top.

Would love to see him on loan to us, not that I see it happening.

I've not seen it, but I will look it out tomorrow and watch it, pretty sure he's from good upbringing and that, I've never been in that position obviously but I'd have stayed and played for the team I loved.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do not a a good record of bringing youngsters through and I have not seen any change  happening  recently  or  in the near future. I do not think he will make it at Chelsea but he has a better chance of a move to a good level in the future than he would by stagnating with us..

5 hours ago, pcbear said:

What if he had held back on Chelsea he may well have been a first team fixture by now, I know he has had a few fleeting appearances for Chelsea but once their transfer ban is over the cheque book will be out again and getting anywhere near the first team will be pretty difficult for Gilmour, fair play to him for having a crack but I  can see him out on loan to some championship team soon then  seldom seen again anywhere near the first 11.

In the moments I’ve seen him play in that Chelsea side he’s not looked out of place, without doubt he’s a talent, but at this time for players we’ve lost from the youths I think the one that would have had the biggest impact would have been young Fleck. Tremendous talent. 

He left at 16. He is still only 18. With our current midfield and the pressure to win the title, I don’t believe he would be close to our first team. 

for me he is just a youth player that chose to move to an EPL club to further his career development.  

Good luck to him. 

I swear I’ve seen this thread on here and FF about 5 or 6 times over the past year. 

Some keep going on like he would have done this and that here. He’s only 18 and he made the right choice. His development has come on leaps and bounds with playing and training with better players and playing against better opposition week in week out. Chelsea have also given him and his family opportunities we couldn’t.

We may have ruined his development by having him in a first team under Pedro and then Murty. Imagine coming into that dressing room at 16/17 years old playing with that shite. The club was a mess and Gerrard wasn’t in sight, it was a very different situation that we are in now.

My best friend does schools and youth coaching in the 3 towns, I remember him talking about  Billy Gilmour after a tournament up at Toryglen about 8yrs ago as basically being the best youth player he has ever seen and a thorn in the side of his team.

He came up again in conversation about 6mths back, and basically my best mate says that every age group always has a few standouts across the teams in the area, but Billy Gilmour was a standout amongst the standouts. Even as a 9-10 year old, it wasn't his technical ability that he raves about, but his footballing intelligence, the way he bossed the field of play, and the way he was telling other boys what he wanted and generally just having an understanding of how to play football  far beyond his age - something he says he has never seen a kid of his age do before or since. 

Also compliments his temperament and the family. Very sensible and head screwed on - which is something I've heard from a good few folk that know them or know of them.

Whether he makes it or not remains to be seen - Whilst Gilmour is probably the outstanding youth player to come out of Scotland in the last decade...... Scottish youth players have a tendency to excel but fade away when stepping up to the adult game. We have a really bad checkout rate of guys that look like stars at 18 but playing in League 1 by 23.

5 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

In the moments I’ve seen him play in that Chelsea side he’s not looked out of place, without doubt he’s a talent, but at this time for players we’ve lost from the youths I think the one that would have had the biggest impact would have been young Fleck. Tremendous talent. 

I honestly think that it is only now he has started to show himself as a player who can boss the game, the Sheffield United manager seems to have got that out of him and elevated his performances whereas before he always looked cautious to me, it has taken a long time to come through though as he left us in 2012, I was at Ibrox when he scored his 1st goal for us which was a pen v Dundee United.

I remember his Uncle John banging them in as well who also ended up at Chelsea after Norwich.

54 minutes ago, pcbear said:

I honestly think that it is only now he has started to show himself as a player who can boss the game, the Sheffield United manager seems to have got that out of him and elevated his performances whereas before he always looked cautious to me, it has taken a long time to come through though as he left us in 2012, I was at Ibrox when he scored his 1st goal for us which was a pen v Dundee United.

I remember his Uncle John banging them in as well who also ended up at Chelsea after Norwich.

Robert.... 

The move to London will do his development the world of good away from the goldfish bowl that is glasgow and all the hatchet men in Scottish football. Good luck to him. I'm sure his parents advised him best at the time as well, they will have done well out of it too being set up in London by Chelsea. 

7 hours ago, Badger said:

My best friend does schools and youth coaching in the 3 towns, I remember him talking about  Billy Gilmour after a tournament up at Toryglen about 8yrs ago as basically being the best youth player he has ever seen and a thorn in the side of his team.

He came up again in conversation about 6mths back, and basically my best mate says that every age group always has a few standouts across the teams in the area, but Billy Gilmour was a standout amongst the standouts. Even as a 9-10 year old, it wasn't his technical ability that he raves about, but his footballing intelligence, the way he bossed the field of play, and the way he was telling other boys what he wanted and generally just having an understanding of how to play football  far beyond his age - something he says he has never seen a kid of his age do before or since. 

Also compliments his temperament and the family. Very sensible and head screwed on - which is something I've heard from a good few folk that know them or know of them.

Whether he makes it or not remains to be seen - Whilst Gilmour is probably the outstanding youth player to come out of Scotland in the last decade...... Scottish youth players have a tendency to excel but fade away when stepping up to the adult game. We have a really bad checkout rate of guys that look like stars at 18 but playing in League 1 by 23.

Ryan Gauld prime example. Looked like messi at 17, career of nothingness since

He was a born footballer. Listened to his interview with Ewen Cameron a while back and tbh sounds as if he wasnt really interested in us and was brought up one of them. Only played for us because his dad said it was easier to get him to us for training and the like than it was the nappy rippers.

He'll be on a shit tonne of money down at those English wanks anyway.

Archived