What ifs, Billy Gilmour

pcbear

16 hours ago, Badger said:

My best friend does schools and youth coaching in the 3 towns, I remember him talking about  Billy Gilmour after a tournament up at Toryglen about 8yrs ago as basically being the best youth player he has ever seen and a thorn in the side of his team.

He came up again in conversation about 6mths back, and basically my best mate says that every age group always has a few standouts across the teams in the area, but Billy Gilmour was a standout amongst the standouts. Even as a 9-10 year old, it wasn't his technical ability that he raves about, but his footballing intelligence, the way he bossed the field of play, and the way he was telling other boys what he wanted and generally just having an understanding of how to play football  far beyond his age - something he says he has never seen a kid of his age do before or since. 

Also compliments his temperament and the family. Very sensible and head screwed on - which is something I've heard from a good few folk that know them or know of them.

Whether he makes it or not remains to be seen - Whilst Gilmour is probably the outstanding youth player to come out of Scotland in the last decade...... Scottish youth players have a tendency to excel but fade away when stepping up to the adult game. We have a really bad checkout rate of guys that look like stars at 18 but playing in League 1 by 23.

I seen Charlie Miller play when 10/11 yr old.

I played against Barry Ferguson at 10/11 yr old..

Gilmour is as good, if not slightly better than those two were.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, pcbear said:

I honestly think that it is only now he has started to show himself as a player who can boss the game, the Sheffield United manager seems to have got that out of him and elevated his performances whereas before he always looked cautious to me, it has taken a long time to come through though as he left us in 2012, I was at Ibrox when he scored his 1st goal for us which was a pen v Dundee United.

I remember his Uncle John banging them in as well who also ended up at Chelsea after Norwich.

Remember seeing John playing regularly for Chelsea mate. Very underrated player 

Archived