Shankland

Rlm

10 hours ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Nicky Clark mk2 , sick of listening and reading about how we should go for this goal scoring machine, just hope Barcelona drop their interest and we are not forced into a bidding war for this  Scottish messi. 

This guy is on a different planet to Nicky Clark  he  has an unbelievable goal scoring record far superior to Clark his all round game is very good too he should have been signed for free in summer he will end up down south  now  This boat has sailed   He will go down as one who got away. 
I am sick of the Clark comparison  they are night and day remember Clark’s goals were a one season wonder in the 3rd tier Shanklands are now over 3seasons in second tier 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Brubear said:

Simple question for Spence, how many goals has shankland scored in Europe or the top flight in Scotland. Answer, none on both counts so dont even mention him in the same sentence as Morelos. Of course if United meet the tarriers in the cup and Shankland scores he will then be the real deal and better than Morelos using tarrier logic.

What a stupid post  Morelos  hadn’t scored in Europe or in top flight in Scotland until we signed him and he was given the opportunity !  Morelos was a gamble that has paid off beyond our wildest dreams  and  he was an expensive gamble at that costing1m  Shankland should have been signed for free in summer  but now will cost over 1m    Btw. He also has same goals as Morelos at international level now in less appearances   

5 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

This guy is on a different planet to Nicky Clark  he  has an unbelievable goal scoring record far superior to Clark his all round game is very good too he should have been signed for free in summer he will end up down south  now  This boat has sailed   He will go down as one who got away. 
I am sick of the Clark comparison  they are night and day remember Clark’s goals were a one season wonder in the 3rd tier Shanklands are now over 3seasons in second tier 

His all round game isn't very good and it's why he'd never oust either Alfie from the starting kine up or defoe from the bench. 

These 2 are light years ahead in every department 

Just now, GeeSS said:

What a stupid post  Morelos  hadn’t scored in Europe or in top flight in Scotland until we signed him and he was given the opportunity !  Morelos was a gamble that has paid off beyond our wildest dreams  and  he was an expensive gamble at that costing1m  Shankland should have been signed for free in summer  but now will cost over 1m    Btw. He also has same goals as Morelos at international level now in less appearances   

Was against San Marino. Colombia don't play sides of that high a standard :lol:

Stick to your free plasticine shite 

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Was against San Marino. Colombia don't play sides of that high a standard :lol:

Stick to your free plasticine shite 

What???? Are you for real!!!  Give me a list of the last 10 opponents Columbia have played????   Your knowledge of football is very minuscule    Did you play the game at any level?   I am bc not saying Shankland is as good as Morelos for gods sake  what I am saying is we should have taken the gamble when he was available   Morelos was a massive gamble and  has paid off big time   We need to take these low risk gambles some will work out some won’t but you won’t know until you try

The SG management team have made half decent players into very good players. Ryan Jack is now the 2nd/3rd best midfielder in the country. Tav has got better, Barisic, Goldson, Katic, Morelos, Kent, Arfield - our entire squad has improved under SG.

With that, I would have taken a punt on Shankland, definitely when he was a freebee.

19 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

His all round game isn't very good and it's why he'd never oust either Alfie from the starting kine up or defoe from the bench. 

These 2 are light years ahead in every department 

Have you seen him? His all round game is good. He is not  comparable to Morelos totally different type of player   And defoe  is a great finisher  although I don’t think his Akron’s game is great  he makes up for it with his experience and finishing.  
shanklands game is similar in my opinion to McCoist  there is a lot of similar traits    Look I am not saying he is as good as any of these players my point is we missed the boat with this guy he was a very low risk gamble in the summer that’s when we should have moved.  Morelos is out next 3 games. If Defoe get an injury we are fucked  we need 3 strikers every team does 

15 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

Have you seen him? His all round game is good. He is not  comparable to Morelos totally different type of player   And defoe  is a great finisher  although I don’t think his Akron’s game is great  he makes up for it with his experience and finishing.  
shanklands game is similar in my opinion to McCoist  there is a lot of similar traits    Look I am not saying he is as good as any of these players my point is we missed the boat with this guy he was a very low risk gamble in the summer that’s when we should have moved.  Morelos is out next 3 games. If Defoe get an injury we are fucked  we need 3 strikers every team does 

Aye I've seen him. He offers nothing that would suit this Rangers set up. We play a high intensity, high pressing system that requires players to be fit and be able to chase, harrass, turn players, create from nothing, interchanging of the forward 3. 

He doesn't have any of that in his locker, a daft sub to throw on with 10 mins to go needing a goal, aye then he'd possibly do well but as an all round striker for how we play or what we need then no. 

44 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

What???? Are you for real!!!  Give me a list of the last 10 opponents Columbia have played????   Your knowledge of football is very minuscule    Did you play the game at any level?   I am bc not saying Shankland is as good as Morelos for gods sake  what I am saying is we should have taken the gamble when he was available   Morelos was a massive gamble and  has paid off big time   We need to take these low risk gambles some will work out some won’t but you won’t know until you try

Aye, played pro youth till I was 18, played top level amateur for near on 11 year after that. 

Here's who alfies caps are against btw Mr football knowledge

On 28 August 2018, Morelos received his first call-up to the Colombian senior national team for the friendly matches against Venezuela and Argentina.[70] He made his international debut on 8 September 2018, coming on as a 77th minute substitute against Venezuela. He missed an open goal on 83 minutes, but then in the last minute provided an assist for Yimmi Chará's winning goal for Colombia.[71][72][73] He made a further two appearances in March 2019 in friendlies against Japan and South Korea, making his first international start against the latter side.[74][75] He was not named in the 40-man preliminary squad announced on 16 May for 2019 Copa America, with several media outlets speculating his poor on-field discipline at club level in Scotland contributed to his omission.[76][77]

Morelos scored his first international goal on 15 November 2019 in a friendly during injury time against Peru as Colombia won the match by 1–0.[78]. 

No exactly San Marino and Russia right enough. 

This is a boy who had 17 top flight games and scored 0 goals. 

He also struggled nearly everywhere till for whatever reason it clicked at Ayr utd for him. 

He's had two good seasons in his career this one and his last one. I watched him.very closely vs us last season as I wanted to know what the fuss was and it was over very little. Keep reading how pish Goldson is on here and yet "shanks" as the sun kept reffering to him yesterday, couldn't get a sniff from him. 

I wish the boy nothing but success bar if he goes to the taigs or where he is now as he sat next to me at the Motherwell away play off defeat in the Motherwell end hoping like me that day to see us turn it around. A good bluenose doing well is always good to see, but he isn't good enough for us at this point in his career and he doesn't fit into how we play at present. 

Slight edit, you could say 3 good seasons as he hit double figures for queen's Park which got him a move to Aberdeen 

7 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Aye, played pro youth till I was 18, played top level amateur for near on 11 year after that. 

On 28 August 2018, Morelos received his first call-up to the Colombian senior national team for the friendly matches against Venezuela and Argentina.[70] He made his international debut on 8 September 2018, coming on as a 77th minute substitute against Venezuela. He missed an open goal on 83 minutes, but then in the last minute provided an assist for Yimmi Chará's winning goal for Colombia.[71][72][73] He made a further two appearances in March 2019 in friendlies against Japan and South Korea, making his first international start against the latter side.[74][75] He was not named in the 40-man preliminary squad announced on 16 May for 2019 Copa America, with several media outlets speculating his poor on-field discipline at club level in Scotland contributed to his omission.[76][77]

Morelos scored his first international goal on 15 November 2019 in a friendly during injury time against Peru as Colombia won the match by 1–0.[78]. 

He also struggled nearly everywhere till for whatever reason it clicked at Ayr utd for him. 

He's had two good seasons in his career this one and his last one. I watched him.very closely vs us last season as I wanted to know what the fuss was and it was over very little. Keep reading how pish Goldson is on here and yet "shanks" as the sun kept reffering to him yesterday, couldn't get a sniff from him. 

I wish the boy nothing but success bar if he goes to the taigs or where he is now as he sat next to me at the Motherwell away play off defeat in the Motherwell end hoping like me that day to see us turn it around. A good bluenose doing well is always good to see, but he isn't good enough for us at this point in his career and he doesn't fit into how we play at present. 

Slight edit, you could say 3 good seasons as he hit double figures for queen's Park which got him a move to Aberdeen 

Mon the Statto.

The time to gamble on Shankland was last year when he left Ayr - I'd say there is maybe a 40% chance he signs, comes on a bit as a players and is a successful signing - Worth a punt if the price was low enough. 

The lad has something, but it would be a risk spending comparative big bucks on him just now. His stock is high and he would surely be looking at £1.5m or there about. He was a relatively low risk signing 12mths ago, and paying any sort of 7 figure fee for somebody unproven wouldn't be wise IMO - it might be something we live to regret, but (more probably) it is a David Goodwillie type swerve. 

With guys like Shankland, I think a lot of the question is mentality. If he can mentally make the step from being the best player at a smaller club, to a club where winning every week is the expectation - and any hint of laziness or small mistakes will have 50,000 on your back. Lesser players have made the step just by having the right stuff between the ears, and being able to move up a level when the move came.  

Shankland is nowhere near good enough for us now and neither is Hickey - another who is regularly mentioned on here for some reason.

Both would've been worth the risk and good championship signings or even decent signings for our first season back in the premier league, but they wouldn't/shouldn't make bench of a team fighting for the league/cups and in Europe.

Shankland would need Morelos, Defoe and Stewart to be injured or suspended at the same time to even get near our team and Hickey would need the same with Barisic, Flanagan and Halliday.

Flanagan and Halliday are both pish and we need better btw.

3 hours ago, GeeSS said:

I will always just think of Clark costing us the SCF .and all the hurt and fall out . The image of him, just coming on as a sub , flaffing around with the ball , losing it and not being arsed to track  back in those final few seconds ,will stay with me forever .

3 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

He had 4 in 6 in Europe for Helsinki too. 

Even if he was good enough to develop at us, when will he do it, he wouldn't get a game and just stagnate in the reserves etc

We're lucky that defoe is the professional he is and has had the career he had, imagine we had a different striker who had a good fee years ahead of him as backup to morelos, they'd be kicking the door down wanting games, maybe disrupting the morale etc

4 hours ago, GeeSS said:

Calm doon Jim Spence

4 hours ago, GeeSS said:

Morelos had scored in Europe before joining us. 

Archived