Should we spend the summer budget now ?

stevotrueblue

Was  wondering what your thoughts on spending our expected summer cash now in advance?  I know its never the best idea spending money before you have it etc,, and I am well aware on oor thoughts on how it was done to us the wrong way before.

I was just thinking ,, celtic are there for the taking this season,, esp after the last game  the most vulnerable in recent times with a shite manager to boot.  If the right player(s) was out there and available,, should we just go for it?

I think we need a good kent style right winger and a backup striker,, but rather than just go for a loan or pay peanuts for another squad player,, if there is someone out there (and we have heard a few touted recently) should we spend it now?

I reckon this is our best chance to stop the tims getting 10IAR,, if they win nine this year then they will most likely spend big in the summer to try and ensure it,, so now is the time imo.  

With the amount we would have in the summer (bar players leaving and needing replaced, plus wages) we could get a decent right winger and another forward now.  If Morelos does leave for mega bucks in the summer we could recoup some of that back into the squad anyway.  Personally, I would even take losing the league next year ,,,so long as we won it this year and put a stop to them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a real test of whether we really want 55 this year which I think we do. 

Not sure we need to spend lots though, just  a few  decent incoming maybe, a really good loan or two  and a bit of money on a proven name. 

And if we get 55 then we can worry about the summer budget when it happens with Champions league beckoning and potential tim meltdown. 

3 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

Think we have already... 

According to transfer markt we spent net around 11-12m in the summer.  I think that is roughly the season ticket money.  We should have at least that coming in again next summer.  Not saying we have to spend it all,, but two key players could make the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

A left footed Arjen Robben style right sided attacker and I would be happy for the window along with some of the shite leaving 

Think a good forward is more necessary to cover potential suspension/injury to Morelos and Defoe. We can shift around rest of team with current squad and a few loans.

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think it all depends who were to become available. If the right player came  who would improve the starting line-up, then definitely, but no point in spending just because.

We should know already who is available and who we want/can afford.

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Think a good forward is more necessary to cover potential suspension/injury to Morelos and Defoe. We can shift around rest of team with current squad and a few loans.

I would like a third choice striker but if the right option isn't out there it doesn't press too much as we have Stewart that can play through the middle. 

We also have Mbude that could fill in if needed. 

Just as an example,, I dont believe for a sec we will,, but that Berghuis that was linked to us for 6/7mil or the two Croatians  ,, Ryan kent cost us about 7/8mil,,, IF and big if,, if Gerrard wanted someone like  one of them do you think the board would release the likes of that for one player now, someone who would walk into the first team .   And would we be happy spending as much now,, knowing it means a very quiet summer,, bar a mega bucks windfall from morelos  etc

2 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I would like a third choice striker but if the right option isn't out there it doesn't press too much as we have Stewart that can play through the middle. 

We also have Mbude that could fill in if needed. 

We do need to start chucking some of these boys into the first team. Sink or swim 

1 minute ago, stevotrueblue said:

Just as an example,, I dont believe for a sec we will,, but that Berghuis that was linked to us for 6/7mil or the two Croatians  ,, Ryan kent cost us about 7/8mil,,, IF and big if,, if Gerrard wanted someone like  one of them do you think the board would release the likes of that for one player now, someone who would walk into the first team .   And would we be happy spending as much now,, knowing it means a very quiet summer,, bar a mega bucks windfall from morelos  etc

Signing some big name player and crow barring him into the first team is the absolute last thing we need to do

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The January window is, in the main, a lot of shite.

Not a lot of players are available.

Exactly, but it tends to mostly involved with teams and players who have clear sights and ambitions, i.e. the big players and ambituous big or cash rich clubs.

Not as relevant to smaller clubs who have already budgeted for season and have no choice but to hold on to what they have got or sell. 

Just now, Ger_onimo said:

We do need to start chucking some of these boys into the first team. Sink or swim 

Although I would normally agree in giving youth a go,,, I think this season is too vital,, unless its a game we are already out of sight on.  Too much to ask of a youngster to carry us if something happened to Mo or Defoe,, every point will count 

2 minutes ago, stevotrueblue said:

Although I would normally agree in giving youth a go,,, I think this season is too vital,, unless its a game we are already out of sight on.  Too much to ask of a youngster to carry us if something happened to Mo or Defoe,, every point will count 

Yep, experience and proven virtue are a necessity, too much at stake to risk inexperience and big changes. 

3 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Exactly, but it tends to mostly involved with teams and players who have clear sights and ambitions, i.e. the big players and ambituous big or cash rich clubs.

Not as relevant to smaller clubs who have already budgeted for season and have no choice but to hold on to what they have got or sell. 

I’d like a right winger/ Number 10 but can’t see us doing any business bar mibbe a midfielder if Docherty goes.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’d like a right winger/ Number 10 but can’t see us doing any business bar mibbe a midfielder if Docherty goes.

I'm happy with Tavernier bombing down the right wing getting in crosses and shooting opportunities as long as we have a decent inside right (old fashioned number 10) to cover/support, so dont need a winger there.  Whether Aribo/Arfield can fulfil that role is maybe still up for debate.

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

I'm happy with Tavernier bombing down the right wing getting in crosses and shooting opportunities as long as we have a decent inside right (old fashioned number 10) to cover/support, so dont need a winger there.  Whether Aribo/Arfield can fulfil that role is maybe still up for debate.

Aye, i meant inside right/number 10.

Archived