Pro Youth -- current

thehost

• 2 weeks later...

My boy was at Livingston but chucked it years ago to go back to his youth team. 

My opinions

1. Coaches no better than me. It's a fact.

2. Team was not great.

3. My son wasn't ever going to make it as a pro. As per usual they had 2 or 3 top players and needed a team round about them.

4. Coach shouted for boys to play offside defending a corner !!!

5. Never more delighted when my boy said he wanted to go back to our team. Not just because of the 60 mile round trip 3 times a week. 

6. Games could be Ayr Utd then Elgin City then Raith Rovers and he might get just over an an hour in total. 

7.  He is now early to mid 20s playing for a decent amateur team and is a good amateur player.  

Is your boy special. I mean really special. If he is great. If not let him play with his pals.

2 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

My opinions

2. Team was not great.

3. My son wasn't ever going to make it as a pro. As per usual they had 2 or 3 top players and needed a team round about them.

5. Never more delighted when my boy said he wanted to go back to our team. Not just because of the 60 mile round trip 3 times a week. 

6. Games could be Ayr Utd then Elgin City then Raith Rovers and he might get just over an an hour in total. 

7.  He is now early to mid 20s playing for a decent amateur team and is a good amateur player.  

Is your boy special. I mean really special. If he is great. If not let him play with his pals.

Worst advice ever tbh ,all differnt kids develop at different levels even if his boy was decent but no special he could end up even better 

35 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

My opinions

2. Team was not great.

Just think how good he could have been if he had a supportive dad behind him...

1 hour ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Worst advice ever tbh ,all differnt kids develop at different levels even if his boy was decent but no special he could end up even better 

Wrong mate. Been involved in coaching youth football for 19 years. You can tell very quickly ( for most kids) who has the ability to make it. Then its attitude. 

3 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

Wrong mate. Been involved in coaching youth football for 19 years. You can tell very quickly ( for most kids) who has the ability to make it. Then its attitude. 

What u mean wrong it's a fact kids develop at differnt paces,dont care if u have coached its shite advice to the guy imo  but do agree with attitude tho 👍

4 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Not every player is a rolls Royce ffs bud 

To make it you can almost always tell early. 

I have had one player make full Scotland team.  And two in age group Scotland team. Loads in Junior and a few in pro. (Many years remember) Only once has a player surprised me and gone pro. At 12 he couldn't kick his own backside. His parents were huge into fitness and running. At 13/14 he got really fit running and training with his parents. He went from not getting a game to being exceptional and getting picked up by pro team. That is not the norm at all. 

1 minute ago, Dickie1963 said:

I have had one player make full Scotland team.  And two in age group Scotland team. Loads in Junior and a few in pro. (Many years remember) Only once has a player surprised me and gone pro. At 12 he couldn't kick his own backside. His parents were huge into fitness and running. At 13/14 he got really fit running and training with his parents. He went from not getting a game to being exceptional and getting picked up by pro team. That is not the norm at all. 

Nae bother Jose 

In fact I saw one of our younger age groups play a Scottish cup tie recently and I looked at the number 8 of the opposition and I thought wow.  There must be a reason why he hasn't been picked up. Parental support. Attitude. I dont know but superb. 

16 hours ago, Dickie1963 said:

16 hours ago, Dickie1963 said:

In fact I saw one of our younger age groups play a Scottish cup tie recently and I looked at the number 8 of the opposition and I thought wow.  There must be a reason why he hasn't been picked up. Parental support. Attitude. I dont know but superb. 

This pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with football imo.

You seem to just hope a "rolls royce" will appear in your group rather than develop one yourself. Looking at players at a young age and deciding instantly that they'll never make it is probably why you're coaching amateurs and not higher up the ladder yourself.

Also looking at the young opposition player and deciding there must be some sort of underlying issue for him not being picked up is incredibly arrogant imo. Maybe you're seeing him improving and he's just not been picked up yet.

Guys like Didier Drogba, Ian Wright and Dado Prso didn't make it as professionals until they were in their 20s. Thankfully none of them were coming through the youth set up in Scotland or they would probably all be working in a factory somewhere.

3 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

You seem to just hope a "rolls royce" will appear in your group rather than develop one yourself. Looking at players at a young age and deciding instantly that they'll never make it is probably why you're coaching amateurs and not higher up the ladder yourself.

Also looking at the young opposition player and deciding there must be some sort of underlying issue for him not being picked up is incredibly arrogant imo. Maybe you're seeing him improving and he's just not been picked up yet.

Guys like Didier Drogba, Ian Wright and Dado Prso didn't make it as professionals until they were in their 20s. Thankfully none of them were coming through the youth set up in Scotland or they would probably all be working in a factory somewhere.

They’d all be back playing with their pals 

6 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Guys like Didier Drogba, Ian Wright and Dado Prso didn't make it as professionals until they were in their 20s. Thankfully none of them were coming through the youth set up in Scotland or they would probably all be working in a factory 

I stand by everything I said.

Archived