Patterson

35 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Its StMirren ffs and Jim Goodwin has already said he is going to park 2 buses, until the kid is stretched and out his comfort zone we will never know how good he can be, I would defo play him.

Its not the st mirren game everyone is bothered about, its the dilemma of

Playing tynecastle away with a raw and untested youngster 

Playing tynecastle away with flanagan or polster who havent had any game time in months

Hence why a few of us on here believe that either flanagan or polster should get the st mirren game

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The same would be the case if Patterson starts, surely? Which was what my post replied too...

Im assuming that the poster you replied to was inferring that we drop points through conceding goals, well that's what i took from it

But you are right, if we criticise ANY defender before an attacking player after a 0-0 draw then we are fucking barking mad

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not the st mirren game everyone is bothered about, its the dilemma of

Playing tynecastle away with a raw and untested youngster 

Playing tynecastle away with flanagan or polster who havent had any game time in months

Hence why a few of us on here believe that either flanagan or polster should get the st mirren game

The only way you will find out if they are good enough is to play them, imo Flanagan and Polster are not very good and  you can not wrap players in cotton wool forever, this guy has the physical attributes and the skill to easily handle the next two games. we are not playing the high flying Hearts of a few seasons ago we are playing a team adrift at the bottom of the league.

3 minutes ago, pcbear said:

The only way you will find out if they are good enough is to play them, imo Flanagan and Polster are not very good and  you can not wrap players in cotton wool forever, this guy has the physical attributes and the skill to easily handle the next two games. we are not playing the high flying Hearts of a few seasons ago we are playing a team adrift at the bottom of the league.

Oh i agree about the cotton wool part, but not just now when we are in the best position in nearly a decade to win this league, more experienced title winning managers for us previously valued experience over youth when we had the chance of the title, 

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Oh i agree about the cotton wool part, but not just now when we are in the best position in nearly a decade to win this league, more experienced title winning managers for us previously valued experience over youth when we had the chance of the title, 

If the experienced players were quality I would also agree, but.....

3 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

While Patterson did okay on Friday he was up against a team from a lower division who offered zero going forward. None of us have seen how the boy will cope defensively and to throw him right in at the deep end in games of such importance is madness. Gerrard would be rightly criticised for it should he play him and results go against us.

If Patterson continues to play, does well, then Gerrard will be praised for having faith in him.  The door swings both ways.

When we are still raving about him 20-30 games into his Rangers career.......

Impressive debut, but lets not get carried away and put pressure on the lad - he has only just turned 18 and is 5-6 years away from being anything like a finished article - and 10yrs away from his peak. A lot of learning to do before then!

Seen too many young players come into the team, look good, get plaudits only to end up in League 1 in 4-5 years time. 

I think he's done well but we do fall into the trap of wanting our own to do so well that we heap masses of pressure on them. We've done it so many times over the years with players that have gone on to have pretty decent careers elsewhere but haven't cut it with us. It is rare that you get a Wayne Rooney who can make an instant impact in the first team. Looks at guys like Jamie Ness etc who have gone on to do nothing. Even our best young player in recent years Billy Gilmour,  while doing well is not exactly getting regular first team football down south. Even Barry Ferguson was nurtured for a season in a strong team by Walter Smith before making the step to play regularly under Advocaat. Arguably the best player in the world, Ronaldo did not play week in week out initially at Man U. It takes time to make the step. 

There is a massive difference between a friendly and a cup game we should win easily compared to a highly competitive SpL fixture list with people parking the bus, booting you and heightened expectations from us. The other factor is the sheer number of assists the Tav contributes within our style of play. We know he is not everyones cup of tea for a variety of reasons but this alone shows how key he is to how we set up. It is a very big ask to expect a young player to come in and replicate that. 

He certainly looks like he has potential but he will need to be nurtured over time and hopefully can make an impact in the future. It is in our interest to have a great academy with a path to the first team. 

I have not seen the  boy playing but in general almost every top team in UK and Europe, in higher level and higher pressure leagues, have no problem playing youngsters. It is hardly any wonder we do not produce our own players and make no money from our supposed top class youth set up if youngsters are wrapped in cotton wool until they are binned or freed for other teams to benefit.

6 hours ago, docspiderman said:

I have not seen the  boy playing but in general almost every top team in UK and Europe, in higher level and higher pressure leagues, have no problem playing youngsters. It is hardly any wonder we do not produce our own players and make no money from our supposed top class youth set up if youngsters are wrapped in cotton wool until they are binned or freed for other teams to benefit.

Take england for example, what youngsters have liverpool used this season in their romp to the title? Man city? The rest are so far away from the title their comparison to us isnt close

15 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Take england for example, what youngsters have liverpool used this season in their romp to the title? Man city? The rest are so far away from the title their comparison to us isnt close

Maybe no-one currently at Liverpool but there are many examples of players who have graduated through the youth system at huge clubs. - Phil Foden - Man City, Harry Winks - Spurs, Mason Greenwood - Man U to name a few.

Promoting youth is essential. 

Your lack of belief/trust in young Nathan Peterson may end up biting you in the arse. He needs to be tried and tested and the rest will play itself out. I know Gerrard is a lot more open-minded to promoting youth.

40 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

They're no playing against joiners though.

58 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Harvey Elliot aged 16 has played for liverpool 6 times this season including the League, Fa Cup and League Cup. So the best club in world football are giving him opportunities.

Phil Foden  aged 18 made 26 appearances for City in various comps including the League which they won. He turned 19 in May and has 22 appearances to date this season.

Our direct opponents this season have played Frimpong aged 18 plenty times before he turned 19, and even their 16 year old superstar wonderkid in the Europa.

Its Rangers that buck the trend.

Now I'm not remotely suggesting that Patterson is on the same level as either English club's player. But we need to not limit opportunity and gaining experience due to age, we need to play players based on ability and performance. If we molly coddle or wrap them up too long we'll waste the potential and successes from the Academy as the route to 1st team will seem as far away as it's always been.

I'd love the kid to take this opportunity fully and play well until Tav returns. It'll benefit us and him longer term more than holding him back. Hes been at the club 10 years and is now a 1st team squad member so he should be treated like others and played if good enough. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Maybe no-one currently at Liverpool but there are many examples of players who have graduated through the youth system at huge clubs. - Phil Foden - Man City, Harry Winks - Spurs, Mason Greenwood - Man U to name a few.

Promoting youth is essential. 

Your lack of belief/trust in young Nathan Peterson may end up biting you in the arse. He needs to be tried and tested and the rest will play itself out. I know Gerrard is a lot more open-minded to promoting youth.

How can you say gerrard is a lot more open minded to promoting youth when last january we got two players over 30 instead of promoting youth, home vs stranraer and away to tynecastle where we've dropped points already this season are completely different scenarios

I dont have lack of faith, i have a massive desire to see us win the league this season and imo its experience we need over untested youth 

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How can you say gerrard is a lot more open minded to promoting youth when last january we got two players over 30 instead of promoting youth, home vs stranraer and away to tynecastle where we've dropped points already this season are completely different scenarios

I dont have lack of faith, i have a massive desire to see us win the league this season and imo its experience we need over untested youth 

Because Gerrard always mentions that he was given a chance as an academy player.

We all want to win the league. Playing Patterson instead of Flanagan against St Mirren at Ibrox is not going to hinder that.

Btw, I will have no problem if Flanagan plays on Wed. He is a good defender but he doesn't play to the same style we try to play.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Because Gerrard always mentions that he was given a chance as an academy player.

We all want to win the league. Playing Patterson instead of Flanagan against St Mirren at Ibrox is not going to hinder that.

Btw, I will have no problem if Flanagan plays on Wed. He is a good defender but he doesn't play to the same style we try to play.

Its not Wednesday thats the worry imo, its going to Tynecastle with either a virtually untested defensively young player, or someone like flanagan who has absolutely no match fitness what so ever

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not Wednesday thats the worry imo, its going to Tynecastle with either a virtually untested defensively young player, or someone like flanagan who has absolutely no match fitness what so ever

Flanagan played against QOS but I hear you.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Harvey Elliot aged 16 has played for liverpool 6 times this season including the League, Fa Cup and League Cup. So the best club in world football are giving him opportunities.

Phil Foden  aged 18 made 26 appearances for City in various comps including the League which they won. He turned 19 in May and has 22 appearances to date this season.

Our direct opponents this season have played Frimpong aged 18 plenty times before he turned 19, and even their 16 year old superstar wonderkid in the Europa.

Its Rangers that buck the trend.

Now I'm not remotely suggesting that Patterson is on the same level as either English club's player. But we need to not limit opportunity and gaining experience due to age, we need to play players based on ability and performance. If we molly coddle or wrap them up too long we'll waste the potential and successes from the Academy as the route to 1st team will seem as far away as it's always been.

I'd love the kid to take this opportunity fully and play well until Tav returns. It'll benefit us and him longer term more than holding him back. Hes been at the club 10 years and is now a 1st team squad member so he should be treated like others and played if good enough. 

Harvey elliot, the guy who's played 1 minute of epl football this season, great example 

Fodens first appearance in the league for city was as a sub near the end of a 4-1 win to spurs

See the pattern here, these youngsters werent starting away at a tough ground that their teams had drew earlier in the season, they were gradually introduced to the first team, we are talking about throwing patterson into an away trip to Tynecastle, totally different

Archived