Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SeparateEntityMyArse

Patterson

Recommended Posts

Most Tav-like out of all the options so best to play him v St Mirren surely, came through last night very well for a young guy in his competitive debut for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The kid did more than I saw from pros such as Halliday last night, or Flanagan and Polster before him. He's not better than Tav right now, but he's the best replacement we have and did enough last night to warrant keeping the jersey for St Mirren. Not playing him until Tav returns is riskier to our shape and performance than playing him imo.

He is a totally different player from Flanagan as for Polster we haven’t seen enough of him at RB 
So you want to just throw a young lad still learning his trade into 2 must games without even knowing if he can really defend as we need him to. 
As for us losing our shape? We played all last season and the start of this season with only one side attacking and Tav was struggling at the start of the season and we never lost our shape, when we have seen Polster he is more than capable of getting up and down the wing and Borna is flying on the other side. 
 

This kid is going to be huge player for us but because I’ve said he isn’t ready yet for a full start in high pressure league games give him time to really learn his trade everyone is going off the deep end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

He is a totally different player from Flanagan as for Polster we haven’t seen enough of him at RB 
So you want to just throw a young lad still learning his trade into 2 must games without even knowing if he can really defend as we need him to. 
As for us losing our shape? We played all last season and the start of this season with only one side attacking and Tav was struggling at the start of the season and we never lost our shape, when we have seen Polster he is more than capable of getting up and down the wing and Borna is flying on the other side. 
 

This kid is going to be huge player for us but because I’ve said he isn’t ready yet for a full start in high pressure league games give him time to really learn his trade everyone is going off the deep end. 

I get where you're coming from but we don't really particularly need Flanagan's defensive capabilities against St Mirren. It'll be a case of dominating them and trying to get the breakthrough against a packed defense. Patterson is much more attacking than the alternatives, I'd just play him. Don't think Gerrard will right enough.

theiconicman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, badjon said:

If you are good enough you are old enough.

I think he will. Flannagan does not offer the service he showed in the final third.

Repeat my above comments.

Your above comment is rubbish as we don’t know if he is good enough yet for the weekly grind of league games where no mistake is allowed and every game is a must win especially this season. 
To just throw the young lad into that is stupid wholly irresponsible for his long term career 

Remember the full Academy team beat Stranraer in the cup earlier this season they aren't much of a bench mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He is a totally different player from Flanagan as for Polster we haven’t seen enough of him at RB 
So you want to just throw a young lad still learning his trade into 2 must games without even knowing if he can really defend as we need him to. 
As for us losing our shape? We played all last season and the start of this season with only one side attacking and Tav was struggling at the start of the season and we never lost our shape, when we have seen Polster he is more than capable of getting up and down the wing and Borna is flying on the other side. 
 

This kid is going to be huge player for us but because I’ve said he isn’t ready yet for a full start in high pressure league games give him time to really learn his trade everyone is going off the deep end. 

The kid played, and played well, at RB. No more a gamble playing him than Polster who also has had next to no exposure. Flanagan has had some good games, and some fucking stinkers, including his last one.

Our shape is to have wide men come inside, full backs overlap. That's not Flanagans game so yes the shape would be altered.

What we should do is give young Patterson his debut, tell him to prove himself, see him one of the few players to do that on the night and then drop him for St Mirren at home. That's the spirit, that'll show him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amato said:

I get where you're coming from but we don't really particularly need Flanagan's defensive capabilities against St Mirren. It'll be a case of dominating them and trying to get the breakthrough against a packed defense. Patterson is much more attacking than the alternatives, I'd just play him. Don't think Gerrard will right enough.

We will against Hearts and it would be a far tougher test against St Mirren for him as they will attack down that side as he a young raw player. 
We need whoever is playing Polster hopefully to get a game today  and play against St Mirren to try and get some match sharpness into their legs for Hearts. 
 

Patterson is going to be huge and I honestly can’t wait until he is ready because he is going to be 10 times the player Tav will ever be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The kid played, and played well, at RB. No more a gamble playing him than Polster who also has had next to no exposure. Flanagan has had some good games, and some fucking stinkers, including his last one.

Our shape is to have wide men come inside, full backs overlap. That's not Flanagans game so yes the shape would be altered.

What we should do is give young Patterson his debut, tell him to prove himself, see him one of the few players to do that on the night and then drop him for St Mirren at home. That's the spirit, that'll show him.

Fed up with this stupid debate. 


Tell you what do it your way throw the young lad to the wolves cross your fingers he hope doesn’t make a mistake and has 50k on his back and the damage that would do to his fledgling career. It has been the Rangers way over the years to throw them in too early and hope they cope. Must work because look at all the young talent that emerged for us.......... Oh wait. 

Ivybank likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Fed up with this stupid debate. 


Tell you what do it your way throw the young lad to the wolves cross your fingers he hope doesn’t make a mistake and has 50k on his back and the damage that would do to his fledgling career. It has been the Rangers way over the years to throw them in too early and hope they cope. Must work because look at all the young talent that emerged for us.......... Oh wait. 

Ffs dry your eyes man

Throw him to the wolves. Fucking hell. 

OhW likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ffs dry your eyes man

Throw him to the wolves. Fucking hell. 

I think CB has a point here mate. His debut last night was good, but it was Stranraer.  He will be high and running on nervous energy right now. That in itself can take its toll on a young player. If he comes up against some clugger v St Mirren then there is a risk of a rash challenge and/or injury.  He looked good last night and is one for the future for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

I think CB has a point here mate. His debut last night was good, but it was Stranraer.  He will be high and running on nervous energy right now. That in itself can take its toll on a young player. If he comes up against some clugger v St Mirren then there is a risk of a rash challenge and/or injury.  He looked good last night and is one for the future for sure. 

He's been promoted to the 1st team squad. He's been in Dubai training with them and done enough to warrant a start in Tavs absence. He performed well and was one of few pass marks in terms of individual performers. Gerrard says he's done everything asked of him both pre last night and during the game.

One of the barriers to youths getting a  chance is experienced pros in front of them. Tav being out injured means the opportunity is here and now.

If I were to pick a league game to put him into after a good debut, home v St Mirren woukdn't be a bad shout.

Or we could say you've done well, everything asked but we're going to sit you out now as age isnt on your side. Instead we'll play an ex college footballer who has played 30 mins since august or a very experienced naturally defensive pro who has had some stinkers including his last game where points were dropped.

If the kid cant do well on a Fri night at home to Stranraer and be ready for St Mirren on the Wednesday then he's never going to be a  footballer.

Finally, Rangers dont play enough games of minimal importance or where a result is a good as guaranteed that we can gently blood players. There'll not be another game like that this season.  All players of all ages need to hit the ground running. Physicality is part of that, if they cant handle it then again, they'll not cut it here. 

Each to their own. I'd prefer to see the kid get more chances he's earned than not appear again this season as we're apprehensive about some aspect of his age / physique / whatever.

😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He's been promoted to the 1st team squad. He's been in Dubai training with them and done enough to warrant a start in Tavs absence. He performed well and was one of few pass marks in terms of individual performers. Gerrard says he's done everything asked of him both pre last night and during the game.

One of the barriers to youths getting a  chance is experienced pros in front of them. Tav being out injured means the opportunity is here and now.

If I were to pick a league game to put him into after a good debut, home v St Mirren woukdn't be a bad shout.

Or we could say you've done well, everything asked but we're going to sit you out now as age isnt on your side. Instead we'll play an ex college footballer who has played 30 mins since august or a very experienced naturally defensive pro who has had some stinkers including his last game where points were dropped.

If the kid cant do well on a Fri night at home to Stranraer and be ready for St Mirren on the Wednesday then he's never going to be a  footballer.

Finally, Rangers dont play enough games of minimal importance or where a result is a good as guaranteed that we can gently blood players. There'll not be another game like that this season.  All players of all ages need to hit the ground running. Physicality is part of that, if they cant handle it then again, they'll not cut it here. 

Each to their own. I'd prefer to see the kid get more chances he's earned than not appear again this season as we're apprehensive about some aspect of his age / physique / whatever.

😁

 

Valid points mate. He’ll be like a kid right now that has just got his hole for the first time. Doesn’t make him a shagger. Lol😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I think CB has a point here mate. His debut last night was good, but it was Stranraer.  He will be high and running on nervous energy right now. That in itself can take its toll on a young player. If he comes up against some clugger v St Mirren then there is a risk of a rash challenge and/or injury.  He looked good last night and is one for the future for sure. 

So he’d be as well leaving then, since everybody in Scotland is one of them.

OhW, TamCoopz, DBBTB and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Valid points mate. He’ll be like a kid right now that has just got his hole for the first time. Doesn’t make him a shagger. Lol😀😀

It doesn't, but nor should we stop him getting his hole again in case he gets the clap 😂

Hadron Collider likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Fed up with this stupid debate. 


Tell you what do it your way throw the young lad to the wolves cross your fingers he hope doesn’t make a mistake and has 50k on his back and the damage that would do to his fledgling career. It has been the Rangers way over the years to throw them in too early and hope they cope. Must work because look at all the young talent that emerged for us.......... Oh wait. 

And at the same time we’ve had plenty of young players who haven’t  emerged and reached the potential initially expected of them because there was too much of  a fear of giving them first team games at a key stage of their development.

Hearts is a different situation completely but on paper St Mirren and Ross County are just about as easy home games as we will get. If we can’t trust one academy player to play in those games then we might as well just shut the academy down.

Rangers_no1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

So he’d be as well leaving then, since everybody in Scotland is one of them.

He’s 18 and I said he’s one for the future. Never said anything about him leaving. Would you start him in the next game v the scum? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

He’s 18 and I said he’s one for the future. Never said anything about him leaving. Would you start him in the next game v the scum? 

I know you never, but if you don’t want to play him now due to that reason then you’d never want him to play. If Tavernier wasn’t fit then probably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I know you never, but if you don’t want to play him now due to that reason then you’d never want him to play. If Tavernier wasn’t fit then probably 

No matter our thoughts and reasons mate, it’s all down to SG. We can go on and on about him and we see he has serious potential and a good future ahead of him. I’d like to see him involved with the first team  the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Fed up with this stupid debate. 


Tell you what do it your way throw the young lad to the wolves cross your fingers he hope doesn’t make a mistake and has 50k on his back and the damage that would do to his fledgling career. It has been the Rangers way over the years to throw them in too early and hope they cope. Must work because look at all the young talent that emerged for us.......... Oh wait. 

Patterson is one of the standouts players currently coming through our youth system.  He was going to be promoted to the first-team squad next season anyway as cover for Tavernier.  He was in Dubai with the first-team and apparently impressed Gerrard very much with his ability to get up and down the pitch.

This young lad is at the point whereby he’s ready to make the step up.  There must be a pathway to the first-team for our youth players or there’s no point having an academy.  Flanagan and Polster have no future at this club, nor are they the type of full-back our system needs, so while Tavernier is out why not develop the very promising attacking RB we have?  I’m pretty sure he’ll be okay at home to St.Mirren.

6superbarry6 and Jacklondon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BookWorm said:

Get him in against st mirren. Long overdue we give youngsters a decent run. The boy has already earned it.

Agreed

BookWorm likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

And at the same time we’ve had plenty of young players who haven’t  emerged and reached the potential initially expected of them because there was too much of  a fear of giving them first team games at a key stage of their development.

Hearts is a different situation completely but on paper St Mirren and Ross County are just about as easy home games as we will get. If we can’t trust one academy player to play in those games then we might as well just shut the academy down.

This the whole crux of the argument on this one. 
If Tav is fit, last night is the perfect game for Patterson as he finds his feet against a team that he has beat already this season and the RB that is regularly playing gets a rest and is ready to go in the next two league games. 
The problem is Tav can’t play the next 2 games and I don’t think for a minute Stevie is going to play Patterson in the next 2 games, there is absolutely no chance he plays at Hearts. So he has to give whoever he is going to play some game time to get him ready, so that player will play against St Mirren even though there may have been a chance he could’ve started Patterson against St Mirren. 
The way people are going on though you would think anyone saying he shouldn’t play on Wednesday night is screaming he is shite and won’t make the grade, this lad is going to be a star and we will get a few great years out of him before he moves on to a better league and we make some serious money, but that is in the future it’s not on Wednesday night. 
Plus on your assumption that if he can’t handle a game against St Mirren he isn’t up to much is nonsense it is far harder to bring on a young defender as any mistake is amplified because he is the last line even harder on a run of games to the end of the season that is win at all costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

After about 25 mins a clown behind me yelled “fuckin mon you do something for fuck sake” when he got the ball.

Makes you wonder eh ! pure weirdos out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerrard would never hang the kid out to dry the way Beerman was with Pedro. If he feels confident that the kid is ready, he will play him on Wednesday. He must be leaning towards that thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...