Patterson

33 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Gerrard would never hang the kid out to dry the way Beerman was with Pedro. If he feels confident that the kid is ready, he will play him on Wednesday. He must be leaning towards that thinking.

This.

There is a lot of justification for what other posters are saying but the stakes are just to high in this title race.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Who DO you want to play RB? Which of the players with no future?

The ex college guy with no experience other than 30 mins in recent months and no Rangers future or the experienced guy who has played twice since Aug, those being defeats to the scum and a draw at the sheep where he was rank, and has no Rangers future?

For me it would be Polster that plays the next 2 games he is far better on the ball than Flanagan and as someone who can play in Midfield he is far better getting forward. 
You use Flanagans bad games as some sort of stick to beat him with, he has also had good games, do we simply say to any player you’ve had a shite game before so you aren’t getting used again, if that was the case Borna would’ve off months ago instead you help him and now we have one of the players of the season and being chased by Roma. 
Do we stop using any player that is due to leave us before the window closes or in the summer because they have no future with us, again a very naive stance and one thank god Stevie and his back room staff think is bollocks as well. 
Where do you stop with that view point, any player that can’t get a game is moved on and we simply go with 11 first team players and the academy players as back up, there has to be certain squad players that are not going to get much game time because the first 11 are on song but you still need them there for the very reason we find at the moment Tav is out and if we didn’t have Flanagan or Polster we would have no choice but to play Patterson.

What if Tav was out for the season we are all saying he could probably cope with St Mirren at home, do you believe he could cope with the rest of the season home and away League and Europe? 

As long as tav is here and fit he will not be dropped save for the odd cup game against lower league opponents, so if this boy is going to be the next first team right back, promoting him to the first team only for him to sit on the bench for 40 odd games of the season is a waste

He should go on loan to a team with the stipulation he plays x amount of games, and we keep flanagan or polster as tavs back up, 

Also, surely to fuck we have a promising left back in the academy as well

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

As long as tav is here and fit he will not be dropped save for the odd cup game against lower league opponents, so if this boy is going to be the next first team right back, promoting him to the first team only for him to sit on the bench for 40 odd games of the season is a waste

He should go on loan to a team with the stipulation he plays x amount of games, and we keep flanagan or polster as tavs back up,

Flanagan and Polster are terrible backups for Tav because they are completely different players to him. We rely on our fullbacks to create and so we can’t really carry defensive backups.

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You didn't want him playing against Stranraer in the first place.  Don't you think he gained valuable experience last night and deserves to keep that spot until Tav returns?

Just now, bluenoz said:

You didn't want him playing against Stranraer in the first place.  Don't you think he gained valuable experience last night and deserves to keep that spot until Tav returns?

Would that be the same experience he gained when the academy team beat them 2-0 earlier in the season. 

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Would that be the same experience he gained when the academy team beat them 2-0 earlier in the season. 

CB, he was arguably the best player on the park last night. Why is it ok for Hickey & Fringpong but not for Rangers players? Like I said earlier, Gerrard won't hang him out to dry like Beerman was. He will monitor him very carefully. He earned a start on Wednesday imo.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

This the whole crux of the argument on this one. 
If Tav is fit, last night is the perfect game for Patterson as he finds his feet against a team that he has beat already this season and the RB that is regularly playing gets a rest and is ready to go in the next two league games. 
The problem is Tav can’t play the next 2 games and I don’t think for a minute Stevie is going to play Patterson in the next 2 games, there is absolutely no chance he plays at Hearts. So he has to give whoever he is going to play some game time to get him ready, so that player will play against St Mirren even though there may have been a chance he could’ve started Patterson against St Mirren. 
The way people are going on though you would think anyone saying he shouldn’t play on Wednesday night is screaming he is shite and won’t make the grade, this lad is going to be a star and we will get a few great years out of him before he moves on to a better league and we make some serious money, but that is in the future it’s not on Wednesday night. 
Plus on your assumption that if he can’t handle a game against St Mirren he isn’t up to much is nonsense it is far harder to bring on a young defender as any mistake is amplified because he is the last line even harder on a run of games to the end of the season that is win at all costs. 

It’s not as nonsense as your assumption that he’s potentially got a mistake in him because he’s young. 

How much defending are you expecting us to do at home against a St Mirren side who will come, sit behind the ball and try to play on the counter attack?

On top of that we have Jack, Goldson and Davis who are all experienced senior players in our squad who will be playing in close proximity to him in the pitch and talking him through the game.

Win at all costs or not St Mirren at home is the perfect game to play him in again.

Just now, bluenoz said:

CB, he was arguably the best player on the park last night. Why is it ok for Hickey & Fringpong but not for Rangers players? Like I said earlier, Gerrard won't hang him out to dry like Beerman was. He will monitor him very carefully. He earned a start on Wednesday imo.

I’m just joking with you mate. 😂

But it wasn’t much of a test for the lad he is head and shoulders better than anything Stranraer have to attack him by a long long way. If it wasnt for the fact we don’t have Buff up front on Wednesday and Tav isn’t there to come back in for Hearts I could be persuaded to give him another 90 mins against St Mirren. 

Just now, DBBTB said:

It’s not as nonsense as your assumption that he’s potentially got a mistake in him because he’s young. 

How much defending are you expecting us to do at home against a St Mirren side who will come, sit behind the ball and try to play on the counter attack?

On top of that we have Jack, Goldson and Davis who are all experienced senior players in our squad who will be playing in close proximity to him in the pitch and talking him through the game.

Win at all costs or not St Mirren at home is the perfect game to play him in again.

My assumption he has a mistake in him because he’s young is nonsense. 😂😂

You want to show me a young player at that age that doesn’t make mistakes, ffs. Difference between the good ones and the journey men is the good ones learn and he will learn but he will still make mistakes. 

So do you think he is ready for Hearts away?? Because you can’t actually expect Flanagan or Polster to come in cold for Tynecastle and actually be ready do you?? 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I’m just joking with you mate. 😂

But it wasn’t much of a test for the lad he is head and shoulders better than anything Stranraer have to attack him by a long long way. If it wasnt for the fact we don’t have Buff up front on Wednesday and Tav isn’t there to come back in for Hearts I could be persuaded to give him another 90 mins against St Mirren. 

I understand winning this title is of the utmost ( which one isn't?) but he plays in a similar style to Tav's so it doesn't really affect our flow. In fact, I would say he reminds me of a young Hutton with better ball retention and Hutton made his debut as an 18 yr old and took off from there. 

Of course, Tav starts when fit.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

I understand winning this title is of the utmost ( which one isn't?) but he plays in a similar style to Tav's so it doesn't really affect our flow. In fact, I would say he reminds me of a young Hutton with better ball retention and Hutton made his debut as an 18 yr old and took off from there. 

Of course, Tav starts when fit.

Once I see him tested in defence then I will have a better idea how far away he is. 
So who starts at Hearts? Or do you think he is ready for that? 
That’s the whole point of my argument for him not starting because we need to give whoever is playing at Hearts more game time to get ready. If Tav was fit that conundrum doesn’t exist Tav simply comes back in. 
Although I wonder if everyone would be calling for Patterson to play against St Mirren if Tav was fit? 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Once I see him tested in defence then I will have a better idea how far away he is. 
So who starts at Hearts? Or do you think he is ready for that? 
That’s the whole point of my argument for him not starting because we need to give whoever is playing at Hearts more game time to get ready. If Tav was fit that conundrum doesn’t exist Tav simply comes back in. 
Although I wonder if everyone would be calling for Patterson to play against St Mirren if Tav was fit? 

All depends how he plays on Wednesday. If he is good, why not play him against Hearts? Tav could possibly be back for Hearts in any case.

Sending the kid back to the development squad when Tav is fit is ok. They have big games against Inverness & Bratislava. Regardless, he is on the right track and it is exciting to see. Who was the last young player to break through? B Ferguson?

16 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

All depends how he plays on Wednesday. If he is good, why not play him against Hearts? Tav could possibly be back for Hearts in any case.

Sending the kid back to the development squad when Tav is fit is ok. They have big games against Inverness & Bratislava. Regardless, he is on the right track and it is exciting to see. Who was the last young player to break through? B Ferguson?

He’s a first team squad member he trains with them. 
He has to go back and play with the reserves or he won’t be playing any football. 
I think if a young player breaks through or not has a lot to do with the current squad at that time and just how good they are just as much as who good the player is. If we had a more recognised alternative for Tav we wouldn’t even be having this debate. 
Honestly can’t wait until he is starting it’s going to brilliant to watch him grow as a player and reach his full potential under Gerrard and Beale. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

For me it would be Polster that plays the next 2 games he is far better on the ball than Flanagan and as someone who can play in Midfield he is far better getting forward. 
You use Flanagans bad games as some sort of stick to beat him with, he has also had good games, do we simply say to any player you’ve had a shite game before so you aren’t getting used again, if that was the case Borna would’ve off months ago instead you help him and now we have one of the players of the season and being chased by Roma. 
Do we stop using any player that is due to leave us before the window closes or in the summer because they have no future with us, again a very naive stance and one thank god Stevie and his back room staff think is bollocks as well. 
Where do you stop with that view point, any player that can’t get a game is moved on and we simply go with 11 first team players and the academy players as back up, there has to be certain squad players that are not going to get much game time because the first 11 are on song but you still need them there for the very reason we find at the moment Tav is out and if we didn’t have Flanagan or Polster we would have no choice but to play Patterson.

What if Tav was out for the season we are all saying he could probably cope with St Mirren at home, do you believe he could cope with the rest of the season home and away League and Europe? 

So you dont want a kid thrown in due to there being no room for slip ups. But a guy that's played 30 mins since august and never really shown much in his overall time here makes more sense to you. Ok.

Flanagan HAS had stinkers, but is still likelier the more obvious option than Polster given his experience. As said and which you disputed, he makes our attacking play lopsided (or he has when at LB), and isnt the forward thinking defender Gerrard wants our full backs to be. That the kid showed last night he appears very comfortable with.

Theres 18 year olds playing regularly in our league. They deal with it in their stride. Now we've got a kid in the 1st team squad who looks a capable deputy until Tav is back in weeks time but you want barriers such as age to stand in his way. For Polster. 

Neither of the 3 can be considered shoe in replacements for Tav, but the young lad shouldn't be held back if he's taking his chances. 

As for the full season I dont think I'd feel comfortable with any of the 3 as permanent right back and us not being vulnerable. 

Hard to judge but was a good game to bring a young player into the fold. Stranraer were poor, in fact I would say nearer junior level than pro. iif he’s any good hopefully those who count will recognise it in him. Good luck to him it’s a ruthless game, there’s not many home grown players to the fore. It’s a wait and see job.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So you dont want a kid thrown in due to there being no room for slip ups. But a guy that's played 30 mins since august and never really shown much in his overall time here makes more sense to you. Ok.

Flanagan HAS had stinkers, but is still likelier the more obvious option than Polster given his experience. As said and which you disputed, he makes our attacking play lopsided (or he has when at LB), and isnt the forward thinking defender Gerrard wants our full backs to be. That the kid showed last night he appears very comfortable with.

Theres 18 year olds playing regularly in our league. They deal with it in their stride. Now we've got a kid in the 1st team squad who looks a capable deputy until Tav is back in weeks time but you want barriers such as age to stand in his way. For Polster. 

Neither of the 3 can be considered shoe in replacements for Tav, but the young lad shouldn't be held back if he's taking his chances. 

As for the full season I dont think I'd feel comfortable with any of the 3 as permanent right back and us not being vulnerable. 

Once again Experience, not hard to grasp. 

Here we go with the lopsided bollocks again. 

More bollocks that it’s simply age, and I’m putting barriers in the way 😂😂 ok then play him and keep playing him until he has a shit game leave Tav on the bench..... oh wait that’s right those pesky barriers again.

Ah the old other teams are playing teenagers and they are rocking the league myth, can’t be rocking that much because the rest of the league are shite. 

Again with the holding him back tell it to Stevie, drop Tav if the young lad is that good and he’s ready to go, sell Tav before the end of January make some money it’s a win win. Never mind the meltdown on here when Stevie said Tav was out for 2 weeks.

Just what chance did he take last night the Academy team beat that lot, yes he’s going to be a huge player for us but don’t paint it up as if he just played the game of his life against the Scum. 

So he’s good enough to play the next 2 games but not a direct replacement for Tav. So what is it  is he good enough or not?? 

12 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Hard to judge but was a good game to bring a young player into the fold. Stranraer were poor, in fact I would say nearer junior level than pro. iif he’s any good hopefully those who count will recognise it in him. Good luck to him it’s a ruthless game, there’s not many home grown players to the fore. It’s a wait and see job.

Far too sensible for this thread. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

No and yes to experience but no to him keeping the spot

We have a chance to go on a run that could put us in the best position to win the league since walter chucked it, we need everybit of experience possible

People used the wintet break and shaking off cobwebs as an excuse for last nights lacklustre performance, but we could be potentially using flanagan or polster in massively important league games who havent shaken off the cobwebs

Every game from now till the end of the season has to be treated like its a must win imo, because it builds up momentum, consistency, removes complacency 

The players treated last night like a training game, what if they do the same against st mirren, or at tynecastle, and it bites us on the arse, the good work done at the piggery will be wiped out

People are making comparisons with hutton coming through, huttons debut was mid season in our treble winning year under eck, he never played again that season while we used guys like maurice ross and kevin muscat, because the league race was so tight mcleish knew experience would be vital

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Flanagan and Polster are terrible backups for Tav because they are completely different players to him. We rely on our fullbacks to create and so we can’t really carry defensive backups.

We have no real idea how polster would play as a right back, apart from his appearance against st josephs where he pretty much played the whole game in their half

Flanagan is a totally different type of player to tav, but then defoe is totally different to morelos in how they play and how we play, we still make changes to accomodate defoe, so why cant we do it for two games while tav recovers, 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

No hutton but ferguson is a good example of why Patterson wont and shouldnt play over flanagan or polster

Ferguson stepped up under advocaat, a year after walter tried to flog him to hearts, walter didnt give him a chance in the 9iar season and the ultimately doomed 10iar season, because he knew we needed experience because the stakes were so high

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No hutton but ferguson is a good example of why Patterson wont and shouldnt play over flanagan or polster

Ferguson stepped up under advocaat, a year after walter tried to flog him to hearts, walter didnt give him a chance in the 9iar season and the ultimately doomed 10iar season, because he knew we needed experience because the stakes were so high

Flanagan is fucking shite mate, gee up. 

Archived