***** The Official Rangers V St Mirren Match Thread *****

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

That as well but we don’t seem keen on that idea 

Despite being a team that absolutely rains crosses into the box....

Pointless high crosses into the box wi Defoe at 5 foot nothing surrounded by 6 footers,does nobody think of driving low crosses wi pace across the box?

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Called the result and that we would struggle.

Midfield is far too defensive, less said about Flanagan the better.

Missing two players through injury and we look shite and the bench could lead you to the drink.

People suggesting signing Cosgrove lol

Cosgrove is absolute shite but just about any 6ft+ player who can head would be a very effective option for us 

What summed up St Mirren and Scottish football in general was in the first half the ball was played to their RB who could’ve ran up the park 20 yards into a decent area of the pitch. Because the ball took the slightest nick off Kent he let it go through his legs and out for a throw in. Was genuinely pathetic 

17 minutes ago, Vision said:

Can't quite get the heavy over reaction here, we thankfully won (ugly) and move on to Hearts at the weekend.

The thing is with these teams parking the bus, we have 60 - 70 mins of possession to try and get a goal. Its up to us to create the chances as the other team is basically giving up possession to play a certain formation it's down to us to score.

We try to play the same way as Liverpool, so for that to work Kent and Aribo really need to step up their goals contribution.

As other posters have said would like to see at least 2 coming in, there's no game changers on the bench.

You're spot on and this post should be pinned.

Some posters have noted that Defoe is sometimes isolated and is up top on his own. That's NOT how we play.

Some posters have noted that Aribo and Kent constantly cut inside and that we need wingers who go on the outside. That's NOT how we play.

Up front we have a three and our width is supposed to come from Borna and Tav which works well most of the time. I'm no major tactician but that should give us at any one time 4 players attacking (one of the full backs crossing while one stays back) no matter what the three in midfield are doing (holding their position I would hope unlike tonight listening to the crowd and the RM match thread).

Those three up front should all be contributing to the goals. Naturally the central player will get more chances therefore more goals but Kent's and Aribo's return compared to Alfies makes for some scary reading.

The team as a whole needs more goal scorers regardless of position.

Katic got on the end of a few set pieces tonight and was raging with himself that he didn't convert them. It's a team game and people may think this is mental but Katic needs to stay in the team for his attacking set-piece presence. Every time we take a corner I say to my wife watch this, big Katic here. Always looks dangerous and defends well enough.

So aye, more goals. From eveybody.

Actually think a toiled 1-0 isn’t such a bad thing. 

Tynecastle will be a battle and that result plus the performance allows Gerrard to fucking gut them, tell some home truths and get their heads in the game again.

Fully expect a better performance on Sunday. 

Just now, GA1972 said:

Should’ve also added the part about this hypothetical player not being built like a stick man 

You didn't need to mate. Build and height don't matter as much as people think. Naismith was a midget and excellent in the air. Boyd scored more goals than Miller but despite his height advantage and certainly weight advantage I'd bet my house on Miller scoring more than Boyd from headers.

37 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Or sign a big fucking striker mate. 

I think you are right, as long as the big striker can also use his feet.

I feel to go into the rest of the season as we are will be a mistake. 

I was happy with the three points tonight but left feeling we need another option up front to give us a real chance of this league. 

Dreadful stuff tonight. However, a win is a win.

But... Flanagan is fucking terrible. Thought Davis was really poor tonight and Defoe didn’t want to know after he scored. His attitude has been stinking the last few games he’s played tbh.

Aribo best player for us by a mile. Deserved man of the match. 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Dreadful stuff tonight. However, a win is a win.

But... Flanagan is fucking terrible. Thought Davis was really poor tonight and Defoe didn’t want to know after he scored. His attitude has been stinking the last few games he’s played tbh.

Aribo best player for us by a mile. Deserved man of the match. 

That bit about Defoe :lol: 

This place is fucking wild 

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

You're spot on and this post should be pinned.

Some posters have noted that Defoe is sometimes isolated and is up top on his own. That's NOT how we play.

Some posters have noted that Aribo and Kent constantly cut inside and that we need wingers who go on the outside. That's NOT how we play.

Up front we have a three and our width is supposed to come from Borna and Tav which works well most of the time. I'm no major tactician but that should give us at any one time 4 players attacking (one of the full backs crossing while one stays back) no matter what the three in midfield are doing (holding their position I would hope unlike tonight listening to the crowd and the RM match thread).

Those three up front should all be contributing to the goals. Naturally the central player will get more chances therefore more goals but Kent's and Aribo's return compared to Alfies makes for some scary reading.

The team as a whole needs more goal scorers regardless of position.

Katic got on the end of a few set pieces tonight and was raging with himself that he didn't convert them. It's a team game and people may think this is mental but Katic needs to stay in the team for his attacking set-piece presence. Every time we take a corner I say to my wife watch this, big Katic here. Always looks dangerous and defends well enough.

So aye, more goals. From eveybody.

Nice one José. Hopefully the management team read this, and implement your unique, and informative ideas...

Archived