Sometimes the stars just align

Thermopylae

Was thinking how cool it would be if the famous Glasgow Rangers and Liverpool both returned to winning ways at the same moment. We have both known tragedy with the 66 and 96 brave souls and have also waited long to reclaim our rightful places at the top so why not together :pipe:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could start singing Penny Arcade at the beginning of every game and pass it off as their own song.

Then before every game they play (and I mean every single game they play) the TV cameras could pan across the stadium showing the fans singing it talking about what a 'special' song it is. 

15 minutes ago, Sket said:

I couldn't give a single fuck about Liverpool.

The clamour from some of our fans to act like lifelong Liverpool fans since Gerrard came in has been nauseating.

I haven’t seen that at all. Definitely not in here!

I wouldn’t think for one minute that Liverpool fans were even giving us a thought either. 

2 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

Was thinking how cool it would be if the famous Glasgow Rangers and Liverpool both returned to winning ways at the same moment. We have both known tragedy with the 66 and 96 brave souls and have also waited long to reclaim our rightful places at the top so why not together :pipe:

Stevie Gerrard likes this 😉

The whole football community tends to be united when showing respects after disasters and death.  This is the way it should be. 

Death and tragedy is the great leveller, it can happen to anyone. We knew in the sixties and seventies stadiums were unsafe and when disasters happened at Bradford, Heysel, Sheffield and Ibrox the whole football community grieved.    Although onIy 11 at the time I  was affected in many ways by the Ibrox tragedy, my dad and uncle usually left by stairway 13, but that day they decided to go drinking down the PRW, and left by the opposite exit.  We were worried sick til they arrived home at 8.00 and the tragic news was unfolding. I remember the aftermaths of the tragedy in detail,  There was gladness to see them but also a kind of quiet eeriness, as we realised they had come home safe. Glasgow mourned, Rangers and celtic fans alike, and Scotland mourned too. Rangers fans, cellic fans, protestants, catholics, and others all took part in helping the injured and dying.  I was taken to the first game at Ibrox afterward. Stairway 13,  with the crumbled barriers was surrounded by large wooden boards to prevent entry. There was one wee wreath pinned on the bottom wooden panels.  It came from East Fife football club. That is the main memory that has really stuck with me. Just a wee thoughtful tribute from a club with no great connection except in the football sense. That small wreath from a small club in Fife had a great effect on my values, and questions of what was important in life, and the answer was empathy and respect. 

And when Maggie Thatcher enabled the wire netting to be put up at the front of terraces, those of us  who had been squashed and pushed and had gone on to the track and field of play knew there was a danger.    Innocent Liverpool fans were killed, could so easily have been another club, even ours.      

So when it comes to tragedy at the game I love, I have no allegiances, my thoughts are always close to any club and its fans who suffer injury or hurt going to watch a game of football. 

Archived