Sometimes the stars just align

Thermopylae

57 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I haven’t seen that at all. Definitely not in here!

I wouldn’t think for one minute that Liverpool fans were even giving us a thought either. 

:tu:

Correct Sparkle .... our coming together is one of respect for the 66 Rangers and the 96 Reds who never made it home on those fateful days ...... and that is something that demands respect .... as both Clubs support do very well.

Other than that .... our histories are poles apart .... as who can possibly compete with .... "The World's Most Successful Team"? .... :p:

:UK:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tannerall said:

The whole football community tends to be united when showing respects after disasters and death.  This is the way it should be. 

Death and tragedy is the great leveller, it can happen to anyone. We knew in the sixties and seventies stadiums were unsafe and when disasters happened at Bradford, Heysel, Sheffield and Ibrox the whole football community grieved.    Although onIy 11 at the time I  was affected in many ways by the Ibrox tragedy, my dad and uncle usually left by stairway 13, but that day they decided to go drinking down the PRW, and left by the opposite exit.  We were worried sick til they arrived home at 8.00 and the tragic news was unfolding. I remember the aftermaths of the tragedy in detail,  There was gladness to see them but also a kind of quiet eeriness, as we realised they had come home safe. Glasgow mourned, Rangers and celtic fans alike, and Scotland mourned too. Rangers fans, cellic fans, protestants, catholics, and others all took part in helping the injured and dying.  I was taken to the first game at Ibrox afterward. Stairway 13,  with the crumbled barriers was surrounded by large wooden boards to prevent entry. There was one wee wreath pinned on the bottom wooden panels.  It came from East Fife football club. That is the main memory has really stuck with me. Just a wee thoughtful tribute from a club with no great connection except in the football sense. That small wreath from a small club in Fife had a great effect on my values, and questions of what was important in life, and the answer was empathy and respect. 

And when Maggie Thatcher enabled the wire netting to be put up at the front of terraces, those of us  who had been squashed and pushed and had goen on to the track and field of play knew there was a danger.    Innocent Liverpool fans were killed, could so easily have been another club, even ours.      

So when it comes to tragedy at the game I love, I have no allegiances, my thoughts are always close to any club and its fans who suffer injury or hurt going to watch a game of football. 

:tu:    

Top post mate.

🇬🇧

Well as a Bear that has always loved Liverpool FC and the way they played football, winning 55 with my all time Liverpool legend as Gaffer of the greatest club in the world and Liverpool getting back to their rightful place down South I’m going to be doing a lot of damage to my liver. 

Would be awesome if 55 and 19 were achieved this year.   Seriously pissed twice.    But this is a Rangers forum and whilst some of us have Liverpool allegiances, others can say the same for the Manchester clubs, London clubs and many other clubs around the UK.   90% probably only support Rangers without a passing thought for anyone else.   The one thing that does bind us together is a 100% hatred of a certain club.     I shall try and dig out my half and half 80s Rangers/Liverpool ski hat for the celebrations.  

DDE85E95-B43E-4AB0-AF7A-E70AD0E0123D.png

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

And when Maggie Thatcher enabled the wire netting to be put up at the front of terraces, those of us  who had been squashed and pushed and had gone on to the track and field of play knew there was a danger.    Innocent Liverpool fans were killed, could so easily have been another club, even ours.   

Fences were up at Old Trafford in 1974 and at Anfield in 1977, just to give two examples.

I support Rangers. I am agnostic to English teams unless there is a Rangers connection

When Walter Smith went to Everton I wanted them to win. There are a few players that have been Everton and Rangers over the years. 

When there was no real ex Rangers connection in England, I usually wanted Alex Ferguson to do well. Tenuous perhaps but hey ho  

Since Gerrard joined, and I became more aware of what a top bloke he is, I have wanted Liverpool to do well. You can’t deny the romanticism of Liverpool. It’s a proper football club. Like us, they are united in tragedy. (Man U as well). 

If not for Gerrard I would have no interest in Liverpool. While he is our manager I will wish them well. If he returns the title to us (which I fully expect him to) then I will likely always wish him well. I expect he will also one day manage Liverpool and assuming nothing happens in the meantime to diminish his achievements as our manager then I will hope he has nothing but success. 

No club could ever come close to Rangers but Liverpool are one of my "other" teams. If both win their respective leagues I'll be chuffed as fuck. 

Not sure I'd make my own thread about it though, it's a personal thing and clearly a lot of bears don't like Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, RockwellGers said:

No club could ever come close to Rangers but Liverpool are one of my "other" teams. If both win their respective leagues I'll be chuffed as fuck. 

Not sure I'd make my own thread about it though, it's a personal thing and clearly a lot of bears don't like Liverpool. 

How many do you have mate?

7 hours ago, Bigdave30 said:

Every team that isn’t Rangers can go take a flying fuck to themselves.

I don’t really care about the ones we are ‘affiliated’ with never mind Liverpool.

Liverpool love us so much they sent us fucking Ojo 😂

Perhaps it's an age thing? When I was playing football at school Souness and Hansen were lifting European cups with Liverpool and of course they also opened the new stands at Ibrox 

Archived