*** The Official Hearts V Rangers Match Thread***

RFCRobertson

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon thisll be easier than last night. The fact that hearts are at home means that they cannot sit in like st mirren did last night and thatll suit us a bit more. By all accounts they were poor again last night and lucky to get a draw after looking like they might be turning the corner at the weekend.

10 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

Same team as last night except Patterson in for Flanagan.

I'd expect this one to be easier than last nights performance.

paterson wont play in this game i think he had flanagan in mind for the hearts game where we have to defend more. thats the reason he started last night to get some game time  not saying that was the right thing to do  just thing that was the reasoning behind it

I’d be embarrassed as a Hearts fan to watch my team no win in 10 games and won 2 all season but the players somehow find another gear against Rangers. 

Doesn’t matter cause Hearts fans are happy with that. 

They were lucky to draw last night and should’ve been 3 down in the first half. 

For us we need to find a way of creating space for Barisic if Flanagan is playing cause Hearts will just pack our left side and let Flanagan have it. But we also need one of the midfield 3 to help out on the right hand side and almost act as a winger when we have the ball. 

Anycunt that moans about Tavernier again fuck off. 

Actually think that going 3 at the back could work better for this game.

Something like:

Mcgregor

Edmundson Goldson Katic

Patterson                                        Barisic 

Aribo   Davis/Kamara   Jack

Kent (Free Role)        Defoe 

11 hours ago, bluebell82 said:

Would def play Arfield, we've got to get players in and around Defoe. 

Agree with this. We need to tweak the formation without Morelos up there. Thinking back to end of last season where Arfield and Defoe were very effective playing up there.

Apparently Hearts were woeful again last night which should bode well for Sunday. However they are at home, they are desperate for the points and we have not exactly hit the ground running after the break. We are probably in for a nervous afternoon.

Can see it being a carbon copy of our last visit there. They'll be right up for it and come flying out the blocks so hopefully our players should be prepared for it. If they score first it'll be tough but if we can get in front early on the atmosphere from the home fans will die and their players heads will drop and hopefully will end up being a comfortable night.

New manager or not Hearts are bottom of the league for a reason. Last night showed how much we miss Tav and Morelos. Lacking the ball played up to Alfredo who can either go it alone or bring the midfield into attacking positions we look ponderous with too many square balls. The way that Tav can drive us forward cannot be underestimated.

However we face this fixture without them. Hearts will treat it like a cup final and at least will not park the bus for 90 minutes. Another 1-0 for us is my prediction.

2 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Actually think that going 3 at the back could work better for this game.

Something like:

Mcgregor

Edmundson Goldson Katic

Patterson                                        Barisic 

Aribo   Davis/Kamara   Jack

Kent (Free Role)        Defoe 

That will thankfully, not be happening. 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I don’t think so either but it’s a discussion point as Flanagan stops us attacking down that right side.

Agree with your last point, but look how unbelievably exposed our right side would be with that formation?

There is a very simple way to combat Flanagan's inability to attack, just swap Patterson in. 

Kamara, Davis and Jack are all fairly similar and may be useful as a combination against European sides or the better sides in Scotland.

Aribos been playing better of late but against packed defense's he's less effective as he needs space to play.

So in games against packed defense's, I'd play Arfield or Aribo as an attacking midfielder with 2 from Jack, Davis and Kamara.

That will leave a space upfront for Stewart (if defoe is playing to add a physical presence) or Jones/Barker/Ojo if Morelos is playing. 

Otherwise we're going to continue to struggle to break teams down who park the bus.

------------------mcgregor----------------

Flannagan--goldson--katic----barasic 

-------arfield-------jack----kamara--------

Aribo-------------defoe--------------Kent 

I don't think he'll play Patterson so id like to see arfield on the right of the 3, giving a bit more width when he can , when barasic is forward. I prefer kamara on the left to the other midfielders we have.  Jack has more energy than Davis and quicker on the ball,id rather that this Sunday to Davis in there controlling the tempo. Front 3 is best we have just now. 

2-0 aribo Kent 

Archived