Call for Johnny Hubbard to be honoured with memorial

ayrshireranger

'FOUR sports fanatics from Prestwick have launched a fundraising campaign to have one of the town’s most famous sons officially recognised.

Friends Bill Baillie, Alan Haggo, Gordon McKenzie and Tam Cairns want to have a statue or tribute erected in memory of former Ayr United and Rangers legend Johnny Hubbard.'

https://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/18173825.call-sports-icon-johnny-hubbard-honoured-memorial/

Crowdfunding link:  (over £1000 raised so far)

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bill-baillie-2?utm_term=DbQgAGvA9stGiving

cracking trivia questions that would stump all the 'so called' experts on tv

He was the first African player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first African player to score a goal in the competition.

One would hope some local businessmen would step up to help - a statue would be brilliant and appropriate -- pty they couldn't name Dam Park Stadium the Johnny Hubbard Stadium  

8 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

He was the first African player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first African player to score a goal in the competition.

One would hope some local businessmen would step up to help - a statue would be brilliant and appropriate -- pty they couldn't name Dam Park Stadium the Johnny Hubbard Stadium  

That is a great pub quiz question! 

37 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I honestly think , we should have a massive monument for many of our legends

Was over in Prague last year . Seen this amazing monument , like a massive metal circle , cut in two halves and separated .

With iconic images of their legends  and relevant messages of importance attached to the monument . It could not be damaged it appeared because of the material used

The beauty of it . It was right next to the ground and everyone from children and adults could view it free. Just as they entered the game.

I think an ideal spot would be the area around that no one walks on, near the old ticket office, so it wouldn't become an obstacle to the crowds going to the game itself

Johnny Hubbard would take his place on such a monument to many past deserving legends

6 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I honestly think , we should have a massive monument for many of our legends

Was over in Prague last year . Seen this amazing monument , like a massive metal circle , cut in two halves and separated .

With iconic images of their legends  and relevant messages of importance attached to the monument . It could not be damaged it appeared because of the material used

The beauty of it . It was right next to the ground and everyone from children and adults could view it free. Just as they entered the game.

I think an ideal spot would be the area around that no one walks on near the old ticket office, so it wouldn't become an obstacle to the crowds going to the game itself

Johnny Hubbards would take his place on such a monument to many past deserving legends

good idea and would be excellent beside a Rangers Hall of Fame Museum  --- probably just wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I'm not entirely sure that him being the first African player to play in the European Cup is totally correct. Nationality in terms of who he played for possibly, but Rafael Lesmes who played for Real Madrid in the 55-56 season was from Ceuta. Juca, who played for Sporting CP that season too was from Mozambique.

Would be great if we could commission our own "Memorial Cup" trophy, and have a wee 4 team  tournament over a weekend in July when the friendlies traditionally take place. 

Would be a terrific event and I'm sure even if we had to play our under age team, it would still attract maximum attendances. And of course part of the proceeds would go toward a suitable charity. 

Weekend would be dedicated to our now lost great players, (and occasional others who had done great things for us), and the the games  would be held in respect to our greats. 

We would invite three other teams, preferably those we share a tradition with, teams like Queen's Park, Linfield (who supported us when we were in admin), Arsenal, Moscow Dynamo and Ajax spring to mind.

The trophy itself would be held at Ibrox in a special area, for ever, but a copy and suitable medals would be awarded to the winning teams. 

Just need you guys to suggest a suitable name for it. Something along the lines of The Rangers Memorial Trophy" sits okay with me. 

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'm not entirely sure that him being the first African player to play in the European Cup is totally correct. Nationality in terms of who he played for possibly, but Rafael Lesmes who played for Real Madrid in the 55-56 season was from Cueta. Juca, who played for Sporting CP that season too was from Mozambique.

cUETA is a Spanish autonomous city and Rafael Lesmes was Spanish.  Juca born n Africa to Portuguese parents  bit a stretch to say he was African    

21 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Johnny Hubbard's parents were Australian... 

He was the first Australian player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first Australian  player to score a goal in the competition.

there you go - still a good pub night question 😄

24 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

He was the first Australian player to compete in the European Cup, having played in October 1956 with Rangers v Nice and also the first Australian  player to score a goal in the competition.

there you go - still a good pub night question 😄

Who was the second ?

If you're ever in the Bronx and visited the old Yankee Stadium.  They have a small memorial garden adjacent to the ballpark and there are statues of the greats.  I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world but you could not help but be impressed by the visuals.  Very impressive.  Why don't we do the same?

On 31/01/2020 at 01:42, The Widow's Son said:

If you're ever in the Bronx and visited the old Yankee Stadium.  They have a small memorial garden adjacent to the ballpark and there are statues of the greats.  I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world but you could not help but be impressed by the visuals.  Very impressive.  Why don't we do the same?

Probably end up with another court case tbh.

On 31/01/2020 at 01:42, The Widow's Son said:

Because it would have to be under 24hr security.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived