Defoe to be signed permanently

Marky.

Over the moon with this deal ..... to have someone of his calibre in all areas is a major win win situation for us ..... when you think of some of the signings we have had to suffer over the last eight years .... this is one of the best who actually has a gift for a goal when it counts ..... just like Alfredo.

He is also one of the only players who actually gets what we are all about .... proper class act ....... I'm over the "fucking" moon actually ...... when "moon" is just not good enough ..... :p:

:UK:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Depending on the bids that come in, defoe being here after the summer might convince morelos to give it another season, you can see the difference in morelos since defoe joined

or it may help us recruit another young striker -- been looking at a couple have we not?  any young player would love to work with Gerrard and Defoe. 

17 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

No. Notice the word “if”. I think whether it’s a good deal or not depends on his wages. I’d be surprised if he has taken a pay cut to less than 20k a week in his last earnings season. Knowing he could have one last big hurrah on 50-100k in China.

If it is 20k then great. His experience will be valuable and at 38 he probably will still be good enough for one more season.

If it’s 40k I’d say I’d rather take the money and have a punt on a few more strikers that might pay off or use those wages to attract someone of a higher calibrate to replace Morelos. 

I tend to bring this up quite often but people (I think) then to overlook the lack of transfer fee.

So if we didn't sign Defoe we would most likely have to pay to bring someone in, who doesn't know the club and would be very unlikely to be of the same impact and influence of Defoe.

If Defoe is on 40k a week for a year then that's the equivalent of paying someone else 20k a week and about £1M on a transfer fee for the same year.

Defoe on £40k a week is a bargain, with his experience, his ability to be the most prolific striker in Scotland despite being 2nd choice, accepting that he's 2nd choice and mentoring the other strikers. That's what he brings.

3 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

I tend to bring this up quite often but people (I think) then to overlook the lack of transfer fee.

So if we didn't sign Defoe we would most likely have to pay to bring someone in, who doesn't know the club and would be very unlikely to be of the same impact and influence of Defoe.

If Defoe is on 40k a week for a year then that's the equivalent of paying someone else 20k a week and about £1M on a transfer fee for the same year.

Defoe on £40k a week is a bargain, with his experience, his ability to be the most prolific striker in Scotland despite being 2nd choice, accepting that he's 2nd choice and mentoring the other strikers. That's what he brings.

I really don’t rate him as highly. Anyone will score goals in that Rangers team.

But he’s just not good enough to win us games away from home. And at his age only getting worse.

he looked legless, slow and weak today.

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

Today has shown he’s never a lone striker. Too small to win the balls in the air and too slow to run in behind. He’s a poacher, and a very good one but he needs someone with him.

He was playing today??

5 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Before the fingers start coming out for Defoe, the rest of the team left him with nothing to play for. Shocking team performance. 

Gaffer is hanging him out to dry playing him up top alone, needs a player that can win the ball in the air next to him 

A complete and utter waste of wages. 

Aye he'll score some goals because he used to be quality and has a tiny bit of that left in him but at the end of the day hes a 37 year old who is done

The money on his wages shouldve been spent on 1 or even 2 young promising players who we could develop as backups to Morelos

24 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Before the fingers start coming out for Defoe, the rest of the team left him with nothing to play for. Shocking team performance. 

This is the thing.  Defoe needs service or it’s like playing with a man down.  Even when Morelos isn’t scoring he’s battling with defenders, dragging them all over the place, setting up goals, etc.  Defoe is never a lone striker and when we’re up against it he’ll offer is nothing. 

20 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

A complete and utter waste of wages

Aye he'll score some goals because he used to be quality and has a tiny bit of that left in him but at the end of the day hes a 37 year old who is done

The money on his wages shouldve been spent on 1 or even 2 young promising players who we could develop as backups to Morelos

Ffs.

Lock this.

Archived