Defoe to be signed permanently

Marky.

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Never understand Gerrards naivety to stick to the same formation week in week out. Could've dropped a midfielder and played Stewart up top with Defoe. Defoe does a great job for what he can do but needs support and today he didn't get it.

Good idea....drop a midfielder and play an injured forward.

Lumping fuck.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I’m thankful it’s only 1 year after today 

He was worth keeping but no more than 1 year would be justified

I’m quite worried we’ve got Davis, Defoe and Arfield on big wages for another year when their legs have gone. I thought it was a risk when Davis signed his extension at his age so early in the season, I hope Gerrard and the board know what they’re doing.

17 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

At the time i thought big Moult would be an ideal partner for Morelos.......

Not even as a partner mate but even just to bring on sometimes you need to go route one. Especially the amount of crosses we put into the box.

6 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

He didn't 

Chance at end he blasted over. Through on goal in first half missed and through in second half the hearts player came in with a good slide tackle. Good chances missed 👍

10 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Not even as a partner mate but even just to bring on sometimes you need to go route one. Especially the amount of crosses we put into the box.

Agreed, the fact putting crosses in to the box seems to be such an important part of the way we play without a big man upfront is very strange. 

Personally the reliance on crossing and getting it wide drives me mad but if that’s how Gerrard wants us to play we need a big strong bully in the middle.

Defoe struggled today because we were trying to turn Hearts, especially in the first half, and Defoe just doesn't have pace he used to. 

We also need somebody close to him and there just wasn't that. His best football at Ibrox was when he had Arfield playing as a second striker. Wednesday and today we just didn't give him that option whether it was Arfield, Aribo or Kent.

Not excusing Defoe for any bad play on his part but we all know what we have with Defoe and he needs support a lot more than Morelos does. 

I don't criticise the manager on much but his use of Defoe really doesn't get the best out of him for me.

31 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

I’m quite worried we’ve got Davis, Defoe and Arfield on big wages for another year when their legs have gone. I thought it was a risk when Davis signed his extension at his age so early in the season, I hope Gerrard and the board know what they’re doing.

Arfield should be hunted at end of season.

29 minutes ago, Sket said:

You're an idiot if you think we're paying anyone 35 grand a week.

You're also an idiot claiming a 37 year old offers us very little in the style we play when that 37 year old has scored 12 league goals in 18 appearances this season,in the style we play.

So in essence,you are talking absolute fucking pish.

He was on reported 100k a week at Bournemouth & took a reported 65% paycut to join us on a permanent = 35k

If we're saying the media are spouting pish as usual then fair enough but hes not going to be on 15k a week for example.

Quite clearly said aye he can score goals but he offers absolutely nothing else apart from being a poacher. When the team plays well he'll score, when the team struggles like today we might aswell be playing with 10 men

Can’t expect Defoe to do anything when the other 10 players play like Morelos is up front. 

For professional footballers not able to adjust their game to Defoe being up front is absolutely fucking criminal. At least a dozen times the ball was launched up the park to a player in his whole career has never held up the ball, yet our players still expect him to do that against the CBs of Scottish football. 

We had the exact same problem last season where it took us 3 games to even create a chance for Defoe. Need to get a grip and adapt to different challenges in football

I wasn't doing cartwheels when Jermaine signed permanently. I wanted him to stay and be part of the coaching staff because he is a great influence and person. But as a player, he's just about finished. It doesn't matter what he eats or how he trains, Father Time catches up to everyone and next year will really show that.

Centre mid go from just getting it forward to a man that can do it all himself to having to put it on a plate for Defoe , having a centre mid that throughout the season contribute very little in assists and goals is always a big problem of ours 

12 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

He was on reported 100k a week at Bournemouth & took a reported 65% paycut to join us on a permanent = 35k

If we're saying the media are spouting pish as usual then fair enough but hes not going to be on 15k a week for example.

Quite clearly said aye he can score goals but he offers absolutely nothing else apart from being a poacher. When the team plays well he'll score, when the team struggles like today we might aswell be playing with 10 men

Was on 65k a week at Bournemouth was he not?

Can't be arsed working out the exact maths but that would work out at about 20k a week, which is still too much for someone of that age regardless of his 'pedigree'.

44 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Agreed, the fact putting crosses in to the box seems to be such an important part of the way we play without a big man upfront is very strange. 

Personally the reliance on crossing and getting it wide drives me mad but if that’s how Gerrard wants us to play we need a big strong bully in the middle.

Your last point is so true. 

Archived