Steven Gerrard reflects on Rangers century

Smile

0_Rangers-v-St-Mirren-Ladbrokes-Scottish

Steven Gerrard hopes to rack up another 100 games at Rangers as he reflected on his Ibrox century

The Light Blues boss is set to hit the milestone this Sunday with a Premiership trip to face Hearts at Tynecastle.

Gerrard is confident there has been considerable progress made since he arrived at the club in 2018 as Rangers look set to mount celtic a serious title challenge.

The former Liverpool captain recalled a warning from Kop boss Jurgen Klopp over the non-stop nature of management which he admits has rung true from day one.

He said: "It has been a massive ride so far, a lot of ups, some downs but I am sitting here just as hungry on day one still as hungry and ambitious and hopefully I'm still here for the next 100. I like to think I have learned from my mistakes and grown.

0_Rangers-v-St-Mirren-Ladbrokes-Scottish

It's been a journey that I thoroughly enjoyed," Gerrard said. "This is a massive job, a massive club and I've enjoyed the ride so far.

"There's been a lot of ups, there's been some downs. Exactly what I expected but I'm sitting here just as hungry and ambitious as I was when I arrived.

"Hopefully I'm still around for the next 100 games.

"I'd like to think I've grown and learned from the mistakes I've made. I'd like to think I've done some things OK along the way as well.

"I believe there is more still to come from these players. We've got a real ambitious group, we've been through a lot in a short space of time. One hundred percent we've improved, we've added some fantastic talent to the group that have helped us and that will continue.

"I'm still young and inexperienced. People who said I lacked experience at the start were right. But there's only one way to get it and that's to get in there and face the challenges.

"That's what myself and my staff have tried to do. We're a new group but we're all ambitious and hungry. We've done ever so well to get to where we are but there's still a lot of work to be done and we're all aware of that.

We've come very close to getting that first bit of success. We've had European qualification and progression (to the last 32) which is a massive achievement from where the club was.

"But I know you get judged at this club on trophies. That won't change going into my next 100 games.

"There's been a few surprises I suppose. But it's everything I expected. A lot of pressure, big responsibility. A job that goes round the clock.

"If anyone has plans on going into coaching and thinks they can put a time on it then forget about it as it's a job when your phone and the job goes on round the clock - early morning, late at night.

"Maybe that's one part that has shocked me. You don't get away from it and switch off, even on an international or winter break. You are constantly on the phone or checking up on your players, how they are or where they are.

For a young manager he has been excellent and learned a lot about himself I would think. Clearly loves managing us the improvement despite a few blips and poor performances in  2 years is staggering the european runs have been a major bonus for us financially and on the park,  Trophies are coming.

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

If he stays for another 100 games, he will be here for 56.

Honestly think he’ll be here for at least 2 more years. Of course he knew in football terms who and what Rangers where, but I seriously don’t think he or anyone else for that matter without being part of our support knew exactly just how massive we really are. In terms of financial clout were miles apart from European giants now and that’s only down to being unfortunately stuck in the SPL, it’s such a shame t hat only 20 odd years ago we were on a level playing field with anycunt world wide. Fuck me ronald de boar, left Barca turned down Man U to sign for us, Numan was touted as the best full back in the world after the World Cup he had before coming here, Gazza and laudrup of course. Fuck sake, van persie, is still waiting for the wee general to call ha ha. But I have no doubt, for someone like Gerrard, it would have become apparent very fucking rapid, just what we are all about, and with Gary Mac to reinforce it, plus all the absolute shite we face day on day from our own governing body, press, pundits and worse of all, blatantly biased referees, I’m certain he wants success here almost as much as we do. Plus outwith a few clubs in England who can offer him the chance of Europe (hopefully CL next season) and the realistic chance of actually winning something? He won’t go to city or Chelsea, no guarantee of even reaching top 4 with arsenal or spurs, and it’s not even worth mentioning United 😂. He’s only wanting one job, and there is absolutely no guarantee he will get it, and no chance of it unless he’s a success here. 
money isn’t his motivating factor or he’d have gone to Chelsea when Jose wanted him, not many can offer what we do, and we’re on the verge of something huge, who wouldn’t want to be part of history 

Archived