Is the manager's job on the line

KingKirk

23 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

No for most, yes for those who have been pretty negative about him where possible from day one.

That's unfair mate. If he gets to the season end without a trophy sorry but its hard to arguing against anyone saying he should be sacked. 

He has had a very easy ride for the last 18months or so in regards to pressure.

He will get a third year absolutely no question but that's based on the credit he's built up and nothing else

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any Rangers manager in the past would have survived watching the tarriers stroll to two consecutive trebles during their tenure. Hopefully we'll pull it together and it won't play out that way, but I'm sure Gerrard would survive it, unless he walked himself.

Will be a different matter though if this time next year we're in the same position, falling apart in the league and trophyless, but by that stage it would be too late for anyone else to come in and change things anyway.

47 minutes ago, gleem said:

But this time we’ve actually witnessed progress and now have a steady squad that doesn’t need a major overhaul 

The starting 11 and a few others are certainly fine but ideally in the summer we'll see at least 11 peripheral players get to fuck.

Frankly it’s way too hypothetical. 

we are still in 3 competitions. The league is looking tougher now but still a lot of football to be played. 

Scottish cup is definitely winnable and how anyone could watch that league cup final and not see we were the better side I’ll never know. I get it. We lost and winning is all that matters. But that defeat was hardest to take. 

we came back from Dubai without our captain and our talisman striker. We have failed to turn it back on and it may have cost us the league again but we are still way better off than last season and we are still improving. 

we need to get back to our December form. If we go through against Braga and pull together a few wins let’s see where we are in April. 

Gerrard and his back room staff are the best we can do at this point.  If they left I’d worry about who we might bring instead.  Replacing him would do more harm than good IMO.  The club needs stability.  We are improving under Gerrard and as long as that remains the case we need to stick with him.  

To be honest i don't give a fuck about their 10....its a bullshit mickey mouse tainted 10 and deep down they know it. 

Stevie needs to stay at least another year, but he needs to learn from his dumb mistakes quick fast because the blowtorch is pointed at his baws and is at the ready at the moment 

5 minutes ago, offminorthreat said:

To be honest i don't give a fuck about their 10....its a bullshit mickey mouse tainted 10 and deep down they know it. 

Stevie needs to stay at least another year, but he needs to learn from his dumb mistakes quick fast because the blowtorch is pointed at his baws and is at the ready at the moment 

I do. I care about 9 to be honest. History books don’t reflect our situation. They just say who were the winners. 

as for them knowing deep down..... they are ambulance chasing cheating fenian bastards. They would happily steal the fucking trophy and claim they won it. There is fuck all deep down in them other than hatred and bitterness. 

our manager is not our problem. Our problem remains mentality of our players. The manager is changing that but it takes time to turn perennial losers into winners. I thought we had turned the corner with the win in their dump but it appears there remain weaknesses and my concern is that that fragility seems to exist in our most creative players. 

Normally a Rangers manager wouldn’t get two years of winning fuck all, current circumstances suggest there’s been massive progression however. 

Hes clearly a massive draw to the club but he’s also making the same mistakes over & over, failing to learn from them so how long can that be ignored because of who he is? 

I don’t think he will & I don’t feel he warrants it but if we slip 10 points behind say & get kicked out of both  remaining cups then you couldn’t argue with some calling for his head.

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

I agree lads however the counter argument is he's spent millions and hasn't delivered any silverware so far. 

Not many manager's will spend what he has and get away without winning anything.

Give him a chance. He's only had 1 full season at the helm so far. 

Unlike other managers before we have went all in with him so would not have the option of getting rid off. Anyone neutral would most likely say he is doing a excellent job given the closeness in the league and the strides we have made in Europe.

Could and should be a great manager for us . I'd say he already is well or his way to being one , but results might say different at times .

Seems to be some problem with our squad which has existed since Pedro . We can have some cracking games and look like world beaters , then suddenly go on a 4 or 5 match run of total dross . 

Not sure what's going on , but it's the players that are downing tools and it's not a new thing . 

I like what Gerrards done for us so far but the fact is we are no closer to winning the league now than we were under murty.

we can’t bank in a cup win with these players, just look at the league cup final for example.  Chance after chance to finally end their run and we ultimately failed.  Morelos wouldn’t be missing that many sitters against other sides on other occasions.

we can say aye but we beat them at Parkhead-  well that so far looks to have no bearing on the destination of the title. We’re a good team when the pressure is off us but extremely fragile when the pressure is cranked up

I seriously couldn't give a fuck about their false and empty 10 in a row.

What i am looking for is Gerrard and his team to lay the groundwork for the coming decade and beyond.

He has took us forward, no doubt about it, and I would love for the guy to deliver us the trophies that we crave.

We need to get out of this rut of lethargy ASAP. That's 5 games since the break where we have been poor, very poor.

He and his team need to come up with something sharpish.

And the players need to get their finger out of their arses pronto.

No, the sad thing is, if he were offered a premier league job then he’d be off in a shot. He is working under restricted conditions due to the boards lack of ability to actually get money into the club.

playing shite like Ojo and Aribo is down to him, hiring them in the first place - not so sure that’s all Gerrards doing. 

He gets another year at least. 

We’ve made good domestic progress, generated huge revenues after our European exploits and raised our brand by a million miles under him. 

He’s always been up against a stacked deck. 7 in a row champions with cash in the bank and a league set up for their sole benefit (from compliance officers, to refs, to fixture scheduling). 

A league winning mentality is something you only get by doing it. You can’t buy it. You can’t teach it. Need the players to step up and be counted. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

No, the sad thing is, if he were offered a premier league job then he’d be off in a shot. He is working under restricted conditions due to the boards lack of ability to actually get money into the club.

playing shite like Ojo and Aribo is down to him, hiring them in the first place - not so sure that’s all Gerrards doing. 

I’m not sure he would. There’s only one job he wants, and he needs success here to get it. 

32 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

I like what Gerrards done for us so far but the fact is we are no closer to winning the league now than we were under murty.

we can’t bank in a cup win with these players, just look at the league cup final for example.  Chance after chance to finally end their run and we ultimately failed.  Morelos wouldn’t be missing that many sitters against other sides on other occasions.

we can say aye but we beat them at Parkhead-  well that so far looks to have no bearing on the destination of the title. We’re a good team when the pressure is off us but extremely fragile when the pressure is cranked up

Come on man.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

I’m not sure he would. There’s only one job he wants, and he needs success here to get it. 

Only so much he can take and unfortunately being held back in his aspirations due to the club being short on cash would be a major factor imo. I think he would do far better at a club with money. 

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

That's unfair mate. If he gets to the season end without a trophy sorry but its hard to arguing against anyone saying he should be sacked. 

He has had a very easy ride for the last 18months or so in regards to pressure.

He will get a third year absolutely no question but that's based on the credit he's built up and nothing else

Maybe. Maybe not.

They'll forget about us losing a cup final to a goal that should never have stood. They'll have ignored the fact that it was a 4 year project / contract signed in 2018, extended by 2 years in Dec which most seemed happy with.  The stats which will probably show points increase in the league year on year will be ignored. Oh and most importantly there'll be few names suggested to who could replace him and deny SG a 3rd year, whilst being given a one season hit to stop 10.

Yes he's been backed but he started in a god awful position. Hes been backed but still spent less than the mob across the city on signings, still spends less on salaries, can barter for loans whilst they can afford 15m players to come in. He started with minimal experienced internationalists compared to them. All whilst trying to make cheaper players do the hardest thing which as Walter said is having the mentality to win a league (something the scum have built up in abundance in our years in lower leagues). If you were reviewing a neutral league, given these circumstances, would you think it right the 2nd top team talked of sacking their manager after 18/24 months, or is it just because its us?

So for me it's still about the rate of progress the team and Gerrard are making, and I'm pretty convinced even without trophies he'll get a 3rd year from me. I think it's the best solution to stop their 10. If he cant overcome the odds and win the league (tbh that's what itll come down to for me not cups) then we'll have given him his opportunity I'll likely question then whether it's time. But not before then if I'm still seeing progress which I am (I'm not saying enough, nor in all areas) this season.

In all honesty if we sack him in the summer we would just be handing them 10 before the season even starts, we can’t expect a new manager to come in and have a mass overhaul of the squad, coaching team etc and then go on to win the title under the pressure they’ll be under next season. However this is Rangers and certain standards must be met. If Gerrard goes two seasons without silverware, next season the only way to keep his job will be to stop 10 in a row imo.

Archived