Is the manager's job on the line

KingKirk

2 minutes ago, Jb85 said:

I never realised Klopp has been at Liverpool for 4 1/2 years and that’s his formation just starting to work this season. Could be down to Man City/Man U/ Chelsea having their problems but still. I get that they have players far superior too but Gerrard gets next season. Win nothing again then bye. 

Klopp system was doing well in Europe (3 finals) but it's only real clicked into place domestically last 2 seasons.  Right now our system works well in Europe as well vs domestic form. 

Yes of course they have world class talent but klopp system is flexible. They might start 433 but the shape can change depending on circumstances during the game if things arent going well. 

Our formation is completely ridged.  We need to be able to change things up if not going to plan. This is major bug bearer for me as gerrard seems afraid to make changes. He needs to be braver. 

Klopp got a lot of time and patience to get liverpool where they are now. That's something Gerrard won't get from out support with another trophyless season. 

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Jb85 said:

I never realised Klopp has been at Liverpool for 4 1/2 years and that’s his formation just starting to work this season. Could be down to Man City/Man U/ Chelsea having their problems but still. I get that they have players far superior too but Gerrard gets next season. Win nothing again then bye. 

Klopp’s formation has been working for three seasons now.

22 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I'm fairly certain the formation we played to break this cycle was 4-3-3. 

We’re going back quite a bit now.  I remember McLeish used a 3-4-3 with very quick forwards.  

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Klopp’s formation has been working for three seasons now.

In europe it has worked but only in the last 2 seasons has it clicked in thier league. Before that they finished 4th under klopp twice.  Dropping points to weaker sides and beating the bigger teams. 

If gerrard is set on emulating that approach. Then he needs to look at the way klopp can change a game. Starts 433 but can change to 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4.  How many times have we wanted to see our midfield pushing further forward in support. 

Gerrard reluctance to deviate will end up costing him. Even lennon by no means a tactical genius knew that a change was needed. 

15 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Nah hes right it was 443 lovenkrands through the middle.

You might be right about the 4-3-3.  I remember we went to Parkhead with Lovenkrands and Kanchelskis wide and Flo in the middle.  The pace really caused them problems.  

1 hour ago, Jb85 said:

How has it just started to work this season, they lost a CL final, won the CL league, runners up in a league with a points total that would have won it any other year had city not been outstanding, all in previous seasons

25 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

If it wasn't Gerrard he'd be on the brink by now imo 

10points behind now and that mob coasting to a 4th treble the second on his watch.

I started this thread saying regardless he gets another year but that above is bad reading.

That same name could destroy him, standing looking lost while the shite of Scottish football come back to beat you, the substitutions, or lack of, playing your favourite every week, rotten or not, rigid tactics, doesn't go unnoticed in bigger leagues. 

7 minutes ago, ZZed said:

For any system to work you need the players that can play it, we don't have players who can switch a system around and that is why we are stuck with this ridged 433

We don’t know if our players can play to a different system as Gerrard hasn’t the bottle to try something else.

11 minutes ago, ZZed said:

For any system to work you need the players that can play it, we don't have players who can switch a system around and that is why we are stuck with this ridged 433

We have the player to try a 4-2-3-1.  We could setup on a more attacking way.  We just haven’t tried it.  

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

We don’t know if our players can play to a different system as Gerrard hasn’t the bottle to try something else.

Locked into the Liverpool system...for which you need a specific type of player for.  Once teams have got it sussed, and you're players aren't of the quality to raise the bar further, then you have to adjust tactics.  Until you get that type of player that can raise the bar, then you simply must try something else.  It's getting to that stage with Steve.  ffs even TLB recognised he had to change tactics after the OF; the've gone to a 3-5-2 and it's paying off big time for them.   If Stevie has designs on being a top manager he has to show he's adaptable and can make changes to get the job done and not stick with the same formula all the time.

Liverpools system has some of the best players in the world in it. We are trying to do a budget version and it will never be as effective even when you account for lesser opposition. Where Salah will go past his man and create something or score a brilliant individual goal, we have got Ryan Kent doing two step overs, stopping, passing back the way or running inside into a dead end. Not having a go at Kent specifically but just an example.

15 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

That same name could destroy him, standing looking lost while the shite of Scottish football come back to beat you, the substitutions, or lack of, playing your favourite every week, rotten or not, rigid tactics, doesn't go unnoticed in bigger leagues. 

Am just disillusioned by it all mate in 5 games we've gone from a game in hand away from being top to 10points behind. How's that happened man.

Gerrard was a great commercial decision by the board, but he is learning on the job and that's not easy with a supporter base with our expectation and rightly so.

His signings have not helped him, plus 20 months in the job and 20 odd million spent and zero out of five trophies certainly puts pressure on him.

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Shite in big moments, like last night. Absolutely sleeping for both goals. 

Stats only tell part of the story. 

And the fact that we’re a goal worse than the filth’s who we all widely regard as a terrible defence says it all really. 

That one big moment, yeah. But that one moment is only a part of the story, itself. And a much smaller part of the story than the defence over the course of the season, 

Or to look at it slightly differently, if we had £10m to spend in January there, how many of us would have spent it on the defence compared rather than attacking midfielders or another forward or another winger?

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

Am just disillusioned by it all mate in 5 games we've gone from a game in hand away from being top to 10points behind. How's that happened man.

We all watched Rangers walk off the pitch at celtic park after a great win, in fact, it was the end of a really hard run of matches, game in hand and we are top, mid February, the tarriers have the league won, there's something not right, maybe there is something we don't know, frustrating as fuck 

What struck me last night was why he had Hagi wide on the right ?. He looked totally lost there and that was the fault of SG.

On what I've seen on videos of this lad and the small time he's been here,  is that he has a quick football brain and is a natural midfield player.  IMO, He and Ryan Jack could work very well together in that area. 

We have got to change the rotten system and playing players out of position that SG  insists upon.

If you're wrong (and he knows he is ) changes have to be made.

2 hours ago, 2nd Flute said:

This, the tarriers have identified where they were going wrong against us, we were winning the midfield, next time they will put the numbers in there, how will we react to that. 

Worryingly last night, Killie were over-running our midfield for a large part of the game.

34 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How has it just started to work this season, they lost a CL final, won the CL league, runners up in a league with a points total that would have won it any other year had city not been outstanding, all in previous seasons

Tbf I completely never even gave champions league a second thought. I was on about the league. Can anyone say they’d have won it if Man City were as good as last season. Who knows. 

Archived