Is the manager's job on the line

KingKirk

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends how we finish the season. Since returning it’s hardly been convincing and I can see the players heads drop.

If we turn it round and manage to take it to the last day and at least get to the cup final he should stay.

However if we end up losing the league by 15 points + he would need to get the sack after the position we’ve been in this and last new year.

Not sure we have ever had a manager go into a third year winning nothing.

He has not done it in two years and has bought a shed load of shite players who are not up to the job.

Do you gamble and let him try again next year ? And he wins fuck all again.......

6 hours ago, gleem said:

I said in another thread earlier that going to dubai is a massive mistake and we just need to get game time in at home rather than piss off abroad  

Taigs went to the same place as us in Dubai. 

He should get another year but his inability to change the obvious failings in that we can’t turn the amount of possession we have into clear cut goal scoring chances is bringing doubt in him.
The Europe run shows progress, beating teams at a far higher standard than anything in the Scottish league so why we can’t take that into the Scottish game needs rectified and if in my opinion it’s the way we are refereed then Gerrard needs to use his presence down south to highlight and shame these bastards.

16 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Not sure we have ever had a manager go into a third year winning nothing.

He has not done it in two years and has bought a shed load of shite players who are not up to the job.

Do you gamble and let him try again next year ? And he wins fuck all again.......

There’s a lot of players out of contract this summer plus the season ticket money comes in.  I would expect a lot of transfer activity to happen.  One of the main obstacles Gerrard had when he cane in was turning the squad around.  That’s still ongoing. 

I know he hasn’t won anything in 2 years but look at the state we were in when he arrived and how far in front celtic were.  We were beating battered by celtic in every Old Firm game, couldn’t reach a cup final, couldn’t qualify for the Europa group stages, couldn’t even finish second in the league.  There’s been a massive improvement.  

No one expected Gerrard to win anything during his first year.  This year expectations are higher.  It’ll be more so next season if they are going for 10 in a row.  I think he has the rest of this season and next season to deliver.  If he can’t and we need to start all o we again we’ll be in a very bad way.

7 hours ago, KingKirk said:

I agree lads however the counter argument is he's spent millions and hasn't delivered any silverware so far. 

Not many manager's will spend what he has and get away without winning anything.

If it wasn't Gerrard getting these sort of results he would be on thin ice with the fans i reckon. The fact we are still in europe is the only up side to this season so far

Dont think he'll be sacked if we win nothing this season based solely on the Europa League

But there's not many Rangers managers who have come in & spent what hes spent whilst winning nothing & escaping criticism from the vast majority of fans

Honestly got a feeling if the taigs run away with the title again & win the treble that Gerrard will walk himself at the end of the season. It's getting to the point now where it seems like hes taken us as far as he is capable of, we've hit the same brick wall as last year whilst spending more money.

17 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Dont think he'll be sacked if we win nothing this season based solely on the Europa League

But there's not many Rangers managers who have come in & spent what hes spent whilst winning nothing & escaping criticism from the vast majority of fans

Honestly got a feeling if the taigs run away with the title again & win the treble that Gerrard will walk himself at the end of the season. It's getting to the point now where it seems like hes taken us as far as he is capable of, we've hit the same brick wall as last year whilst spending more money.

There’s not many Rangers managers who came in with the team so far behind our rival, none in fact 

25 minutes ago, TMB said:

There’s a lot of players out of contract this summer plus the season ticket money comes in.  I would expect a lot of transfer activity to happen.  One of the main obstacles Gerrard had when he cane in was turning the squad around.  That’s still ongoing. 

I know he hasn’t won anything in 2 years but look at the state we were in when he arrived and how far in front celtic were.  We were beating battered by celtic in every Old Firm game, couldn’t reach a cup final, couldn’t qualify for the Europa group stages, couldn’t even finish second in the league.  There’s been a massive improvement.  

No one expected Gerrard to win anything during his first year.  This year expectations are higher.  It’ll be more so next season if they are going for 10 in a row.  I think he has the rest of this season and next season to deliver.  If he can’t and we need to start all o we again we’ll be in a very bad way.

Turning the squad around, he's brought 28 players into HIS squad and our 3 most important players were here before he arrived

The team that lost to hearts was all his, bar ryan jack, the team yesterday was all his, 

How much more squad turning around does he need when the first team squad is all his bar 3 or 4 players

The Hearts result was hard to accept and yesterday was as bad.

Personally I like Stevie and still hope he can get things right and win us 55, am I full of hope this morning after yesterday, no I certainly am not.

I also think making a call on what should happen at the end of the season is far too soon. We have a lot of games to play and still in 3 competitions although unless things change (the tarriers also drop points) we only can really hope for a SC win.

All too soon to make any decisions at the moment IMO, but if we get to the end of the season trophy less again then it is not unreasonable for fans to debate where we are after two full seasons under Stevie and his backroom staff.

1 hour ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He will keep his job due to our European run. It will also help finance  the purchase of players n the summer.

We are not buying players in the summer unless we sell as the club have confirmed a shortfall even with the Europa League 

31 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

There’s not many Rangers managers who came in with the team so far behind our rival, none in fact 

True but the issue isn't against them, our issue is against other teams in the league 

We've dropped 5 points against Hearts & 4 against Aberdeen so far this season, we've dropped 3 against the taigs. 

The league cup final was one of those games that we dominated, had countless clear cut chances but didnt win, happens to every team. 

We cant say the taigs are miles ahead of us because they've spent alot more then ignore the same reason when it's against the rest of the shite in the league

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

They'll forget about us losing a cup final to a goal that should never have stood. They'll have ignored the fact that it was a 4 year project / contract signed in 2018, extended by 2 years in Dec which most seemed happy with.  The stats which will probably show points increase in the league year on year will be ignored. Oh and most importantly there'll be few names suggested to who could replace him and deny SG a 3rd year, whilst being given a one season hit to stop 10.

Yes he's been backed but he started in a god awful position. Hes been backed but still spent less than the mob across the city on signings, still spends less on salaries, can barter for loans whilst they can afford 15m players to come in. He started with minimal experienced internationalists compared to them. All whilst trying to make cheaper players do the hardest thing which as Walter said is having the mentality to win a league (something the scum have built up in abundance in our years in lower leagues). If you were reviewing a neutral league, given these circumstances, would you think it right the 2nd top team talked of sacking their manager after 18/24 months, or is it just because its us?

So for me it's still about the rate of progress the team and Gerrard are making, and I'm pretty convinced even without trophies he'll get a 3rd year from me. I think it's the best solution to stop their 10. If he cant overcome the odds and win the league (tbh that's what itll come down to for me not cups) then we'll have given him his opportunity I'll likely question then whether it's time. But not before then if I'm still seeing progress which I am (I'm not saying enough, nor in all areas) this season.

Far too sensible. 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Thats the gamble , do you really give him more cash to sign more players. I have zero confidence in him signing players who are good enough.

They will win it this year and will go all out next year to win 10 , probably spending big to do it , making his job even harder.

He will get it big time if he fucks up again next year , with  everybody saying he should never have been allowed a third year........

Gerrard gets a lot of respect with his character and history in the game and because he has improved our general football standards from the low ebb of the likes of Warburton and Caixinha.  But he can't live off that forever and the fact we've collapsed after the winter break yet again is very hard to forgive  

Archived