All about the passing

They Gnu

The difference between us playing well and floundering, as we’ve done since the break, is all down to how well we pass the ball. I’ve not seen the stats but the number of misplaced or badly weighted passes in our last three games has been ridiculous. I don’t think our system is flawed we’re just not executing it properly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres players mile off form. Theres been poor team selection and substitutions. We've lost all urgency in our play. Our defenders dominate possession not our attackers so teams recover their defensive shape. We're not creating enough chances, and miss too many. Individual errors are on the rise. We can't cope with injuries and suspensions to key players. 

Tbh it's much more than about how we pass the ball mate.

Wrong personnel.   If Gerrard is going to stick with this 4-3-3 then he needs to shake up the starting eleven.  Hagi straight in time that team for Aribo would be a start.  Something needs to be done about that midfield three but I don’t think we have any other options.

29 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

The difference between us playing well and floundering, as we’ve done since the break, is all down to how well we pass the ball. I’ve not seen the stats but the number of misplaced or badly weighted passes in our last three games has been ridiculous. I don’t think our system is flawed we’re just not executing it properly.

The most ridiculous thing in the last 3 games is lack of goals.

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Theres players mile off form. Theres been poor team selection and substitutions. We've lost all urgency in our play. Our defenders dominate possession not our attackers so teams recover their defensive shape. We're not creating enough chances, and miss too many. Individual errors are on the rise. We can't cope with injuries and suspensions to key players. 

Tbh it's much more than about how we pass the ball mate.

All spot on particularly the loss of urgency but if passes aren’t finding their targets everything stems from that, confidence drops and players are scared to take responsibility in case they fuck things up.

56 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

All spot on particularly the loss of urgency but if passes aren’t finding their targets everything stems from that, confidence drops and players are scared to take responsibility in case they fuck things up.

That then suggests that if passes find their target, less are misplaced or badly weighted, then everything will improve again.

I really dont see that being the case.

It's far from everything  but it is a massive part of it. It's very frustrating to watch.

It irritates me when I compare us to sellic. They've got players that rarely drop their level when if comes to quick, tight passing moves to open defensive outfits up and move defenders around. Edouarde, the flasher, the diver, Rogic, Johnston, McGregor . We tend to struggle with it.

The two wide players in the front three are constantly cutting inside, opposing defenders are following them and the game becomes to narrow and conjested the amount of times Kent and aribo are being forced to go backwards and sideways against teams that sit in is shocking, only when our fullbacks overlap we stretch the game hence the amount of assists tav and Borna have between them, tav has been a massive miss this month, should be back in Wednesday, hopefully it's not to late. 

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

The standard of the passing has been shocking. 

You'd expect players coming back from the break to be sharp, refreshed and highly motivated but that's not been the case. This needs to be looked into.

Team selection and tactics also need to be looked at. 3 sitting midfielders against defensive opposition is not required. Better to have one of the 3 someone who is more attack minded and regularly gets into the oppositions box.

Our forward 3 have been far too predictable in their play and movement. They should be finding space and dragging opposition defenders all over the place. Sometimes that requires going out wide, even just to create space for others.

50 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's far from everything  but it is a massive part of it. It's very frustrating to watch.

It irritates me when I compare us to sellic. They've got players that rarely drop their level when if comes to quick, tight passing moves to open defensive outfits up and move defenders around. Edouarde, the flasher, the diver, Rogic, Johnston, McGregor . We tend to struggle with it.

The thing is it was spot on for a couple of months before Christmas. Everything has went to shit since the break and not being able to find a blue shirt with a simple ball is a major part of it. I will say it yet again , how the fuck a can team regress to the extent we have in a month is baffling.

The slower the team plays the poorer the passing becomes. The runs the forwards make are ignored and by the time the pass is made the forwards are marked. When we played the high pressing game and quick passes earlier in the season  we actually looked like a quality well trained team but now we copy the play of the opposition and the last 3 games the ball has been in the air probably more than all our other games.

I can see what Gerrard is trying to do with the front 3 but it might be worth a small change where Morelos stays more within the width of the goals. Let left and right inside forwards find the pockets and overload areas. The amount of times Morelos drifts into wide areas and others are not occupying that space he has left is happening to often for me.

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

Too many players have went off the boil at the same time. You get away with one or two being off it but no 7 or 8. Gerrard job to find out why and either change it up or sort it out.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

Wrong personnel.   If Gerrard is going to stick with this 4-3-3 then he needs to shake up the starting eleven.  Hagi straight in time that team for Aribo would be a start.  Something needs to be done about that midfield three but I don’t think we have any other options.

teams are now looking for the draw at Ibrox, teams are actually wasting time at the 17 min mark, no need for Kamara, Jack and Davis,  a formation change at Ibrox is needed.  maybe two forwards? something has to change. teams are now setting up to negate our style and its working.

IMO what a miss Tav has been. 

Too pedestrian for much of the time, and then we get these passes that reall y get on my nerves..  Davis or whoever will run 10 yards to pass the ball in the same direction to someone 5 yds away.  Why not just ping the ball?    We’re not moving the ball quick enough at all and in not doing that we are helping these opponents get back into defensive shape.

also we seem to always make a really bad choice when it comes to passes around the opposite penalty area, wether that be the wrong pass, not enough conviction in the pass, misplaced pass or as what we mostly see 1 pass too many.  The movement up top is really rigid, there’s no fluency, no imagination and an incredible acceptance of players passing responsibility onto Morelos to either create his own goals or be on the end of a pass.  Where are the forward runners? Where’s Kent actually getting in behind and beating a man?  What does Aribo actually offer us other than some tippy tappy football?  I hit does Davis look like a lost sheep anytime he’s around the 18 yd line?  What is it Kamara is meant to be doing?  

too many questions and I can’t genuinely see or think what these players are meant to be offering the team on a match day .

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

THIS 😉 While some of our passing is poor,our lack of movement is worse. We seem to only ever have the wide ball as an option,what happened to our tight,defence splitting 1/2s? We've lost our way and lost our confidence.

3 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

teams are now looking for the draw at Ibrox, teams are actually wasting time at the 17 min mark, no need for Kamara, Jack and Davis,  a formation change at Ibrox is needed.  maybe two forwards? something has to change. teams are now setting up to negate our style and its working.

IMO what a miss Tav has been. 

We might have done this if Helander was fit and could play left sided of a back 3, in a 3-5-2.  Doubt he'll change it though.

Feels like a souped up version of Warburton. Passing in front of the opposition, never shooting. About the only thing missing is the short corners and the subs on 60 mins - Gerrard watches us lose control of the game and waits and waits and finally makes changes when its virtually done.

10 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Watching them it’s something that they do fairly well, pass.

We just seem to charge at the defence and bounce balls off them.

And more often than not it's our own players shins the ball bounces off, Arfield usually being a prime example.

Not saying guys like Greg Docherty is the answer, but we need players who have a bit of a get up and go attitude, if we had at least 2 or 3 guys with the attitude and commitment of guys like Docherty and Halliday on the field fighting for a win we could at least raise our game. 

Archived