Corruption in the game?

Thermopylae

24 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Great post mate and I agree with every part except the unconscious bias. 
For me they know exactly what they are doing, for some it’s simply so they and their family don’t get subjected to the usual threats and violence from the Fenians for others it’s simply they no longer have to hide behind a mask, no one is going to pull them up for giving Rangers a raw deal so they are free to do as they wish. 

Conscious/unconscious, who really knows.  But you're right, the pressure and intimidation that creates the atmosphere to even get us to considering whether the officials are "cheating" or "biased" needs to be challenged and resolved.  

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gaffbear said:

It doesn't help we have an anti unionist government . 

Since we beat them at xmas 2018 I've noticed it more and more . The victimisation of morellos and the poor junkie Griffiths media pish.

The witch hunt of beaton and since then they've had everything going . Clancy and cullum beat the same drum. Dallas and Robertson are uncle Tom's and beaton and madden give us less than nothing .. 

10 years ago wed have been top of the league 7 points clear but due to referees turning blind eyes and blatant cheating were 7 behind. 

Canny wait to see what they do tomorrow .

Oh yes, I would say it is all linked. With those cunts in power it only emboldens all the haters. Some at a subconscious level, whilst others very consciously and very obviously.

10 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Conscious/unconscious, who really knows.  But you're right, the pressure and intimidation that creates the atmosphere to even get us to considering whether the officials are "cheating" or "biased" needs to be challenged and resolved.  

There is no half way in this 

It’s been going on way too long and far too much evidence to suggest anything else 

36 minutes ago, Flatcap said:

mmmm, fair point. Not saying they are any better but maybe it could be contracted out to the EPL as they have the experience. To be honest, i'm not sure i want to see VAR up here but for every bad decision they make, they also make some good ones and they are able to focus on the 'off the ball' stuff too. For all the howling down South, it seems the reaction to it is as across the board and apart from ludicrous claims that Liverpool are favoured (as if they need the help) it is generally accepted now that it is here to stay.

Outsourcing it would be a brilliant idea, maybe that’s why the scum are so against the idea of VAR. 

Needs tweaked a fair bit, it’s used far too much for my liking. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Of course VAR is only as good as the folk in the bunker that rule on the video evidence. 
Do any of us have any faith in the SFA having impartial folk doing that job. 

This. Absolutely 100%

If they have got to the refs, the Compliance Officer, even the SFA and SPFL why on earth would anyone ever expect those operating VAR to be impartial? It would never be contracted out to anyone outwith Scottish football, the SFA wouldn't accept that, and there in lies the problem. Also which Scottish Clubs could afford to have it installed?

9 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Despite the rush to call this cheating, I don't think it's there yet.  Undue influence and pressure is playing a greater part imv, and only changing the culture by changing the people in charge would start to even things out.  

I accept the above and unconscious bias to an extent, I also think it plays a part. But central to that is it's more likely to be about decisions in favour of the club who hold power/ threat to the ref, or the home club due to hostile environment, or simply the bigger rather than provincial club, would you agree? 

So can you explain why so many decisions go against us even against us at Ibrox in games versus smaller clubs? The sheep game at the weekend was bad, for me the Hivs Beaton game was worse. How does unconscious bias work there when multiple decisions, a high majority of decisions,  were wrongly against us or went favourably for the opponent? 

I'd say the crowd being on the refs back may actually have swayed him even more against us in both games. A defiant approach. If not, it was conscious decisions against us, unconscious bias against us makes no sense in the circumstances of these games.

And if it was defiance, then its conscious and cheating.  Or just cheating from the start.

4 hours ago, coopsleftboot said:

I don't. 

What I do think  is there's a climate of fear built up that makes match officials act instinctively (unconscious bias) because the culture they work in means there is likely to be consequences of decisions they make.  Look how aggressively celtic go after those who they perceive are unjust against them.  Look how at how rabid the press placements are when perceived injustices happen, look at how often officials are threatened by their fans, as they and their homes become targets.  All this creates a working climate that influences their decision making, whether they realise it's happening or not.

With respect to the organisation that's responsible for referees, I do believe they believe they're above all this and acting professionally and with  impartiality.  But they too are subject to the effects of the same climate....with the pressure often causing them to be too weak because some have to much power.  That's not just me saying that, that's a couple of dearly departed fellow SPFL chairmen who were so feart to be honest when they could have had effected change....such is the power and influence they felt was there.

Bottom line is it's being driven by Lawwell and his friends (Mulraney etc.) and all within the rules....but the influence and pressure (club, press, fans) brought to bare depending on who's broken what rule (once an incident is taken off the pitch) is where there is the potential for bias claim to be really levied.  Problem is the weakness of the SFA.  Criticism and pressure by celtic, their fans and press placements is an entirely different beast to pressure placed by anyone else, especially us...ours fizzles out and goes away...they don't.  It really needs US to take the lead and to be persistent, and if that means taking out of the football world, and this country (e.g. CAS) then that's what must happen.

The poisonous climate that's been cultivated, where an official can make an error of judgement that doesn't benefit one club and results in disproportionate scrutiny and criticism, can have a real impact on an officials professional and personal life and needs to be reversed for the good of the game.  Only way this will change is if there's a real shake up at Hampden, and the people with the "disproportionate power and influence" that only look out for their own (or those they prefer) are removed.  It's the only way a change to a fairer sport can be achieved.

"Cowardly" to sum up is cheating in a nutshell.

11 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

"Cowardly" to sum up is cheating in a nutshell.

Cowardly it maybe, but more cowardly are our board. The real elephant in the room. With all the evidence at hand to do something about it, they do nothing. Until that changes, nothing changes and we are all howlng at the moon and the haters laughing at us.

Archived