Kent looks like a donkey right now!

superallysbears

39 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The whole double marking Kent is a complete myth on here. 

He was double marked for large parts of the game last night.

But if the opposition put two on one then provided we move the ball quickly enough we should be able to find a free man.  Just not moving quick enough at present. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

He’s not delivered enough this season, particularly given his price tag but he has scored at Easter Road, Tynecastle & the Piggery which is something we’ve also lacked the last few seasons. 

Really wish he would use his pace/movement to stretch teams rather than coming deep and playing in front of a packed defence 

His goals have been very important, and he should've had a few assists (including one at the piggery if Morelos had finished it). 

I completely agree, it's so clear he has the ability to really hurt teams. It just feels like he's currently being under utilised, annoyingly.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

He was double marked last night and also won us a stonewall penalty.

He was double marked last night, second half he was much more effective with our slight change in system. Hagi just appeared in any pocket of space he could find which was pulling them all over the shop. 

30 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

He was double marked last night, second half he was much more effective with our slight change in system. Hagi just appeared in any pocket of space he could find which was pulling them all over the shop. 

I thought all the players were better second half I think the problem was our players didn't really trust Hagi to give him the ball when in a tight area will have learned now that he's good at that.

He's just had a dip in form........... he'll be back to his best soon enough. Think he looks like he's trying too hard at times.

He is a quality player despite his critics............I think 7 million will prove to be a snip in the long run for Ryan.

18 hours ago, cogsy69uk said:

The team aren’t set up to fully utilise his strengths, running behind defenders or running onto cut backs for a shot at goal is where he is at his most dangerous.

We seem to be asking him to beat 2 or 3 players from a standing start to create chances and that’s not the type of player he is IMO

How do you suppose we get him in behind defensive lines of 6 who camp edge of there own box?

24 minutes ago, Jackal said:

How do you suppose we get him in behind defensive lines of 6 who camp edge of there own box?

I think the staying wide and making diagonal runs into the box, or starting closer to the centre and running across defenders to the wide areas is what I would like to see more of!

The guy has real quality and a change to how we play the ball into him, as other posters have also suggested will benefit the whole team.

He doesn’t have to beat the 6 defenders camped on the edge of their box, he only needs to get past 1 and then commit a second for space and gaps to appear that his team mates need to then take advantage of! 

4 hours ago, andyhrfc said:

He was double marked for large parts of the game last night.

But if the opposition put two on one then provided we move the ball quickly enough we should be able to find a free man.  Just not moving quick enough at present. 

Thats cause we need to wait for the fullbacks to move up, instead of getting kent out wide himself and doing the job we ask of barisic only kent does it quicker 

4 minutes ago, cogsy69uk said:

I think the staying wide and making diagonal runs into the box, or starting closer to the centre and running across defenders to the wide areas is what I would like to see more of!

The guy has real quality and a change to how we play the ball into him, as other posters have also suggested will benefit the whole team.

He doesn’t have to beat the 6 defenders camped on the edge of their box, he only needs to get past 1 and then commit a second for space and gaps to appear that his team mates need to then take advantage of! 

Exactly, we ask barisic to skin a fullback instead of kent who is actually the one who can do it

I genuinely think assist stats are very flawed. For example if you run by 10 players and pass it to another player who then lays it on for someone to tap it in then it's the other boys assist. 

I don't think it's a stat to get to worked up over

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

I genuinely think assist stats are very flawed. For example if you run by 10 players and pass it to another player who then lays it on for someone to tap it in then it's the other boys assist. 

Exactly. Type of guy who will get us up the park and win a free kick in a dangerous position. Plus he’s a big game player as well. 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Exactly. Type of guy who will get us up the park and win a free kick in a dangerous position. Plus he’s a big game player as well. 

I don't like this mentality the support seem to have at the minute constantly looking for someone to pass the blame to for our issues. 

It's a collective that we haven't came back well from Manager to players, but hopefully last night is the kick on we need. Imo the 2nd half was much more like how we played in December. Killie will be huge next week 

18 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I don't like this mentality the support seem to have at the minute constantly looking for someone to pass the blame to for our issues. 

It's a collective that we haven't came back well from Manager to players, but hopefully last night is the kick on we need. Imo the 2nd half was much more like how we played in December. Killie will be huge next week 

I think Kent’s been fine. At least he doesn’t hide. Demands the ball time and time again and always puts a shift in. Same with Arfield even if they haven’t been on form.

First half on Wednesday was to be expected with the team the Manager put out. Hands tied with Alfie who isn’t fit but Tav was nowhere near ready to play. 

I think we will see a turning point on the weekend and then going into Wednesday. Hagi will be good on a plastic pitch. I don’t think we will win the league but I hope we push them until the final day.

29 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I agree entirely.

I'd love to know how many of our goals from last season Candias was involved directly with, even though he didn't supply the final 'assist' (which was usually Tav, having received it from Candias).

For kent to function the rest of the team have to function. Davis and Arfield didnt give Kent enough fast service, indeed I was thinking it was all very laborious in the midfield in the first half. Point I'm making is, Kent is more effective when we get our high tempo game going. When we're slow in our tempo, he takes on too much himself and very often it comes to nothing. 

6 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The whole double marking Kent is a complete myth on here. 

It’s not.  The League Cup final was a perfect example.  Scott Brown was never more than a few yards away from Kent during the  match.  When Kent did get it Brown and Frimpong would crowd him out.

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

He has all the skill in the word but a £7m man has to do it more than once every ten times. It comes with the price tag.

He’s averaging a goal every 194mins in the league.  That’s hardly “once every ten games”.  His game time in the Europa was limited due to his late arrival and injury shortly after.

Archived