Journalists - are there any serious ones left?

dummiesoot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Glory awaits said:

boy I work with is 23, never bought a newspaper in his life, his mates are all the same. My parents in there 70s don’t even get a paper anymore they use an iPad..... 5-10 years max they will be gone

I don't think there's a newspaper in the country that doesn't have a digital presence, everyone knows print is dying. Has been for years.

There may be serious ones but they are seriously flawed and biased. 

Neutral unbiased journalists would'nt get a job on most Scottish media. 

It's all about the reaction now, not the impartiality of the journalists.  Scottish media only employs  reactionary wind up merchants. 

9 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

This rancid cesspit of a country continues to reach new lows with regard to reporting of serious issues, such as racism. 

The blinkers stay on full block mode when it comes to Rangers. Not one comes out and says, 'do you know what, this is wrong! We need to do something about it.'

Nope let's drag anything to do with Rangers through the mud, sully the name, sully the players, sully the fans. Adults behaving like children to keep petty grievances going. 

An ailing art form is professional journalism, many of the old ones will be turning in their graves.

There used to be one within BBC . Vanished . there used to be one on snyde . Vanished 

Now both are filled with haters and haters/patsies

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

1/  ...... If I'm paid a salary to 'pretend' to be one, doesn't that actually just make me one?

2/ ...... Nowhere do I imply that. It seems your grip on the English language is far weaker than mine on reality.

:lol:

1/ ....... Without any solid proof of formal qualifications in the profession .... I'm afraid not ...... you can "Keep Believing" it is ..... but it won't make it true ...... funny I never knew that Big Marvin was the patron saint of .... "pretend journalists" ..... every day's a school day sure enough.

2/ ....... Yes you did ...... and no ....  my understanding of the English Language is more than strong enough to fend off any pretentious .... "pretend journalist" .... who has lost all sight of reality and is more inclined to bend over and attempt to  kiss his own arse than be honest and face reality square on .... stop pretending you are something you are ..... in reality .... not ..... it makes you no better than the dross up here in the Scottish media.

🇬🇧

10 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Here’s a journo cunt

He's a feckin oddball. You cant publicly defend yourself because of the age of the racist ?

The go at Traynors writing is pathetic from the guy who cant talk without breathing in at the same time. 

Alison McConnell's article in the Evening Times makes interesting reading. 

A single banana was thrown at Mark Walter's on that infamous day and Paul Elliot's disproven claims of racism given an airing. Pretty much using the whole thing, especially at the start of the article, as another excuse to boot Rangers fans. Showing her biases.

23 minutes ago, Inigo said:

A single banana was thrown at Mark Walter's on that infamous day and Paul Elliot's disproven claims of racism given an airing. Pretty much using the whole thing, especially at the start of the article, as another excuse to boot Rangers fans. Showing her biases.

Called it as did most tbf. 

a weak statement shows weakness, the weak prey on the weak. 

we should have blown the fucking house down when we made our statement and given them no grounds to recover. I’d have personally named and character assassinated every one so there was no come back, and any offered was laughable.

we gave they cunts a platform man n it was so obvious to see 

7 hours ago, Inigo said:

Another distortion of the truth  , sad because it used to be a good paper too . 

20 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Here’s a journo cunt

Putting that question mark straight after the word resentment is extremely bad syntax, the sentence should have carried on till the next question mark, 

Even the phrase "And, believe me, it is Jim, from the tortured syntax" is very poorly constructed, and contrived in my opinion.

Or maybe, it's just a mistake and Spiers feels he is above checking and proof reading his journalistic output.

Might even be that he  just gets over excited and a bit damp when constructing Rangers hating sentences.

I don't pretend to be well versed in syntax, but that all seems to be very poor, in my opinion. 

21 hours ago, Gaffbear said:

Bring back Alex Cameron,Archie McPherson and Arthur Montford and Hugh MacIllvaney..

Just about to mention Hugh McIlvanney, I recently read a piece he did on Welsh boxer Johnny Owen and when you compare something like that to the sensationalist, clickbait, shite churned out by the Spiers, Hartsons or Jackson’s in Scotland it shows how far standards have fallen. When a retarded spunk bubble like Chris Sutton can forge a career in sports journalism you know the games a bogey.

12 hours ago, KingKai said:

I could be wrong, but I thought Ian Archer was not particularly a 'friend' to Rangers, so to speak.

Id say bring back John Fairgreive!

Archer was an alcoholic dribbling cunt who spent his time propping up the bar of Kilmacom Golf Club and hating all things Rangers. I’m glad he’s dead and hope he suffered horribly before he died.  

16 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Just about to mention Hugh McIlvanney, I recently read a piece he did on Welsh boxer Johnny Owen and when you compare something like that to the sensationalist, clickbait, shite churned out by the Spiers, Hartsons or Jackson’s in Scotland it shows how far standards have fallen. When a retarded spunk bubble like Chris Sutton can forge a career in sports journalism you know the games a bogey.

Sports journalism at its' best can be right up there with the best of literature. (Except, it seems ,in Scotland.)

Muhammad Ali came through the double doors into the living room of his hotel suite on slow, tender steps. I held out my hand. He opened his arms. Ali lowered himself into a wide, soft chair, and I sat on an adjacent sofa. “I’ve come,” I said, “to ask about the wisdom you’ve taken from all you’ve been through.” Ali seemed preoccupied with his right hand, which was trembling over his right thigh, and he did not speak. “George Foreman told me that you were the most important man in the world. When I asked him why, he said that when you walked into a room, it didn’t matter who was there—presidents, prime ministers, CEOs, movie stars—everybody turned toward you. The most famous person in that room was wondering, Should I go to meet him? Or stay here? He said you were the most important man in the world because you made everybody else’s heart beat faster.”

The shaking in Ali’s right hand seemed to creep above his elbow. Both of his arms were quivering now, and his breaths were short and quick.

I leaned in awkwardly, not knowing quite what to do. Half a minute passed in silence. I wondered if I should call for his wife.

Ali stooped over, and now his whole body was trembling and his breaths were almost gasps.

“Champ! You okay? You okay?”

Ali’s head lifted and slowly turned to me with the smile of an eight-year-old.

“Scared ya, huh?” he said.

13 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

:lol:

1/ ....... Without any solid proof of formal qualifications in the profession .... I'm afraid not ...... you can "Keep Believing" it is ..... but it won't make it true ...... funny I never knew that Big Marvin was the patron saint of .... "pretend journalists" ..... every day's a school day sure enough.

2/ ....... Yes you did ...... and no ....  my understanding of the English Language is more than strong enough to fend off any pretentious .... "pretend journalist" .... who has lost all sight of reality and is more inclined to bend over and attempt to  kiss his own arse than be honest and face reality square on .... stop pretending you are something you are ..... in reality .... not ..... it makes you no better than the dross up here in the Scottish media.

🇬🇧

You're a riddy

23 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

This rancid cesspit of a country continues to reach new lows with regard to reporting of serious issues, such as racism. 

The blinkers stay on full block mode when it comes to Rangers. Not one comes out and says, 'do you know what, this is wrong! We need to do something about it.'

Nope let's drag anything to do with Rangers through the mud, sully the name, sully the players, sully the fans. Adults behaving like children to keep petty grievances going. 

An ailing art form is professional journalism, many of the old ones will be turning in their graves.

Main stream journalism is about headlines - click bait. Negativity sells, we are the biggest story in town so we get the most negativity. However, speak to any other supporter of the better supported teams and they all have gripes about MSM. 
the funny thing is when they do break a story about us, it gets posted on here, usually with the link, and debated to the nth degree - perpetuating the click bait , headline writing culture that seems to make them money. 

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

Another distortion of the truth  , sad because it used to be a good paper too . 

It's dead, they call it the Glasgow times now, like a lot of the publications including the bigger ones staffed with what is basically bloggers.  

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Neil Cameron in the ET thus morning the latest to rebut Rangers' statement. Again full of blinkered arguments.

"Now, I may have missed the trivialising of racism. Please send me a link to any comment piece which has done so. The outcry was all about THAT Morelos interview which was wrongly translated."

He actually typed that 👆. 🤬 

Conveniently ignoring the general lack of condemnation of blatant acts of racism, of condemnation of further alleged racism and sectarian abuse, articles full of drug taking mafiosa hyperbole, being called a waster, out his nut mentally, and encouraged to leave Glasgow if couldnt deal with it. Not forgetting a pundit asking 12 times for proof of racism that he has been copied into a million times on social media. Barely commented on as a victim.

Scandalous.

Archived