Ryan kent

GOAT

I really want to see this kid succeed because on his day, it seems he can be sensational (if we ever see him on his day again). Seems to me, a big difference this season to last is how he gets the ball. It's like he's always static when he's picked out. This nullifies one of his greatest strengths, that being pace. If he is allowed to run on to the ball, he has quick feet and can turn defenders on a sixpence. We've seen it and it is fantastic to watch. At the moment, we seem to be playing to a gameplan of slowly but surely, sideways passes until we get near the opposition box. By that time, there are ten men behind the ball, space down the flanks is limited and double marking is easy. The boy has it in him to change that by making runs early when we play from the back. Draw the longer ball out of Tav (or Barisic when fit) instead of seemingly standing static, waiting for the flat pass that leads to congestion. Last season, Middleton immediately changed games when he came on by making those sprints up and down the touchline. Right now, he needs a spell on the sidelines to get his hunger back.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s not nearly as bad as what people are making out in this thread.

He always wants the ball and goes looking for it if he doesn’t get it for a start. 

He’s also the closest thing to a big game player we have in the squad. Yes he’s been not on the best runs of form lately but he’s hardly been utter shite.

We are shit when teams sit behind the ball and get us on the counter. This usually mean Kent is trying to take on 4 players when he gets the ball, which usually results in him losing it.

We seriously need to start shooting from.outside the box, and this is something we have seen him do in the past.

10 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Things were going ok til then, which helps take the eye off areas which aren’t doing as well as they might.

Once results turn, we start to look a bit deeper into who’s doing what.

It wasn’t as bad because Morelos and or Defoe were  playing brilliantly and carrying us goals wise

Morelos is now off form, no league goals since break and in that time we’ve scored 7 goals in 6 league games.

9 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I'm not making excuses for him because he does need to offer us more but in recent games whenever he gets the ball he is surrounded by opposition players and we have NO MOVEMENT whatsoever. It's up to the other players we have in the team to take advantage of him getting doubled up on 

if Halliday's not making overlapping runs and midfielders aren't getting far enough up the pitch what are people expecting him to do? take 5 men on and score?

Spot on, it’s easy to look at the player on the ball and blame him but look at what’s happening around him and it’s a different story. On at least two occasions last night he ran the width of the pitch with the ball and had absolutely no one to play it to. The attackers in front of him were stood still facing him(Away from goal), they should have been on their toes ready to run for a ball played in behind. The midfield behind him not one went to make a forward run, if we don’t give him options there’s really fuck all the lad can do apart from either keep taking players on until he loses possession or a safe pass backwards.

We have suffered from a lack of creative players that can change a game since 2012. Every time we get someone on loan that shows a modicum of skill people want us to sign him. Kent was a decent loan last season but his return was along the lines of Johnston for them who had played less games. He was never worth 7 million which was borne out by the fact there was no interest down south in buying him. He was signed right after we got beat by them at home which was a useful deflection. This season is mirroring the last where he shows endeavour and passion but the overall return for his price tag is mediocre.

9 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Jamie Murphy plays the same role, is every bit is good at running from left to right, less skill but a better goal scorer. Don’t @ me

Jones got more goals in him. Pre injury jones arguably playing better.

Im not even a fan of Jones to be honest. But statistically he’s better. Stats win games of football - not having this ‘Kent contributes more than stats suggest’ he doesn’t. 

A top class contribuation on rare occasions prevents proper stick. 

Kent in his defence is a winger. Play him on the wing. If he doesn’t fit into the system don’t play him. 

50 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He’s not nearly as bad as what people are making out in this thread.

He always wants the ball and goes looking for it if he doesn’t get it for a start. 

He’s also the closest thing to a big game player we have in the squad. Yes he’s been not on the best runs of form lately but he’s hardly been utter shite.

It's the price tag that people latch on to. I get it, but it's also a bit unfair. Every player I-XI irrespective of price should step up. 

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Ojo’s assists/goals are almost comparible to Kents.

That’s how bad he’s been.

I blame last night firmly at Gerard’s door.

Kent wasn’t any worse or better than anyone else and it’s not his fault we paid the  Premiership’s over inflated price tag as we all know he’s not a £7M player in Scottish money.  

Prob 3 - 5 and at that point he would just be another target for us in amongst the other poor performers. 

He does need to up his game as do others.

last night when we were getting pegged back at 1-0 shagger held the game up with a real eye injury and other players should have started rolling about after tackles same as what the nonces done as this would eat up time and take the momentum out the game. Subs should also have been done to serve the same purpose albeit Morelos should have been hooked after his pathetic and dishonest dive.

This is all easy game management techniques but our mgt team were standing like rabbits again in the headlights. Amateur hour again but I suppose that’s what happens when we are another experiment for King and his board.

im gutted and know we fkd it big time but I’ll give them nothing until it’s mathematically over but their 4th treble is on the horizon 🤬

33 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

It's the price tag that people latch on to. I get it, but it's also a bit unfair. Every player I-XI irrespective of price should step up. 

It does seem some expect us to sign Messi if we’re paying 7m. Unfortunately we need to realise that outside of the penniless Scottish game 7m doesn’t get you much, probably an average English championship player and most of them would be on wages far higher than the majority of our squad. 

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

It does seem some expect us to sign Messi if we’re paying 7m. Unfortunately we need to realise that outside of the penniless Scottish game 7m doesn’t get you much, probably an average English championship player and most of them would be on wages far higher than the majority of our squad. 

Folk on here turned their nose up at oli mcburnie, who went for TWENTY MILLION 

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He's also nowhere near as good as people make out either mate. As Stepps Boy said it's not just a bad run of form, he's had a handful of good games all season.

Kamara goes looking for the ball and never hides, does not stop him getting severe criticism and people mentioning him looking every bit like a 50K signing.

It may be unfair on him with the price tag, but many on here call him a big game player, if that's the case and he's as talented as some on here believe, he should be producing the goods more than once every 5+ games.

Don’t disagree with anything you have said.

19 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Starting to ask why we bothered paying 7million for him. The most worry thing both he and the manager said this week that hes improved on last season going by his numbers.

Not justifying his fee at present.   Something isn’t clicking, should be ripping the arse out of the defences  he comes up against.    Hopefully the “class is permanent and form is temporary”  comes into play.   Worry is we bought a player based on form rather than class.

1 hour ago, Bristol loyal said:

But at least we’ve got 38yr old Defoe injured with another year on his contract picking up huge wages...

Hard to blame Defoe when he's the leagues top goalscorer for us in a Kent thread.

Kent has missed a pre-season and it shows.

2 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:
11 minutes ago, Smile said:

Hard to blame Defoe when he's the leagues top goalscorer for us in a Kent thread.

Kent has missed a pre-season and it shows.

Sorry misread that at first.

Not Defoe’s fault. But at his age injuries and returning to full fitness is a big concern 

I was delighted when we signed him - really thought it was a signal of intent from the board, and that he would have a significant impact this season. Unfortunately, once again, I have been left disappointed. as somebody else said, its the hope that kills us!

6 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Sorry misread that at first.

Not Defoe’s fault. But at his age injuries and returning to full fitness is a big concern 

True but you always get that with an older player, in saying that if not for Defoe's goals in January we would have been even further behind.

Kent topic which makes it an odd point by the poster.

Archived