Helander

plymouthranger

I think many posters (myself included) have forgotten how much more solid we look with him at the back.

Katic is the RM darling, but we look a far better side with Helander as one of the 2 cbs. We’re regularly conceding 1-2 goals a game in the league since he’s been injured, so it’s no surprise we’re dropping points. 

Sooner the big Swede is back the better. Katic/Edmundson don’t currently look like the answer and Goldson isn’t a good enough player to carry them

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defense isn’t the problem it’s the attack.  Midfield to front we don’t score enough goals.  We should be setting up to score 3 or 4 goals against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, St.Mirren, Kilmarnock, etc.  Too many games we’re trying to scrape by having scored one goal.  We need to be more attacking and direct.

Just now, Inigo said:

Don't think the defence is a massive issue tbh. Just looking at the stats, we've conceded 1 more goal than them. We've scored 17 fewer though. The bigger issue is further forward.

Whilst I partly agree, having a solid back 4 means there isn’t the same pressure on the forwards to score 3+ goals a game. 

When you’re barely conceding, it gives the forwards the freedom to know they can miss a chance and still keep going. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the taigs best goal scoring period has mirrored their best defensive record. 

Agreed, a defender isn't going to make a difference. The main problem is the midfield/forward areas which aren't creating enough chances or scoring goals. The team as a whole has become very predictable and seems to have abandoned the high press which worked so well in the first half of the season. Is their fitness in question, or is it purely a mental/attitude thing ?

Just now, thehost said:

im quicker than helander and I possess a blue badge FFS

cunt runs in treacle and cannot be played with the golden boy, who is also as slow as fuck

I agree with you there,Goldson is the only one who never gets dropped but imo is the worst of the 4 centre backs.

3 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Whilst I partly agree, having a solid back 4 means there isn’t the same pressure on the forwards to score 3+ goals a game. 

When you’re barely conceding, it gives the forwards the freedom to know they can miss a chance and still keep going. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the taigs best goal scoring period has mirrored their best defensive record. 

Yeah, but conceding 16  in 24 league games is a good record by the standards of this league. I mean, there are fuck ups occasionally, but by and large it's not a huge issue.

11 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

When you’re scoring heavily there’s less pressure on the defence.  We can afford to concede one or two goals because we’re outscoring the opposition constantly.  The door swings both ways.

We have the players to be more attacking and score more heavily.  Gerrard seems quite conservative with his tactics and I do think it’s holding the team back. 

7 minutes ago, xaldub said:

Agreed, a defender isn't going to make a difference. The main problem is the midfield/forward areas which aren't creating enough chances or scoring goals. The team as a whole has become very predictable and seems to have abandoned the high press which worked so well in the first half of the season. Is their fitness in question, or is it purely a mental/attitude thing ?

the main problem is we have far too many nicey nicey tippy tappy players who when the going gets tough they hide warburton made the same mistake  this league is full of hammer throwers especially against us  we have to realise that and get some physical players in the team  i was brought up with Rangers teams having a tough spine  a no nonsense centre half  a tough tackling midfielder and a striker who could hold his own  the quality in this league is not good but it is tough and until managers accept that we will get nowhere  we players like ojo aribo kent haji though i think there is a player there  barker jones etc who are not strong enough and dont have the heart

8 minutes ago, billscott said:

the main problem is we have far too many nicey nicey tippy tappy players who when the going gets tough they hide warburton made the same mistake  this league is full of hammer throwers especially against us  we have to realise that and get some physical players in the team  i was brought up with Rangers teams having a tough spine  a no nonsense centre half  a tough tackling midfielder and a striker who could hold his own  the quality in this league is not good but it is tough and until managers accept that we will get nowhere  we players like ojo aribo kent haji though i think there is a player there  barker jones etc who are not strong enough and dont have the heart

Yup, I agree - we have too many players who shy away from the physical side of the game. This is where the poor refereeing comes into the equation, though. I do wonder if some of the timidity we're seeing is due to the players feeling they aren't getting enough protection. Also, if we did have a few midfield enforcer types etc do you honestly believe they wouldn't get red carded in this current climate ?

This seems like a classic case of the forensic teams on RM looking for answers in the wrong places. 

We were fucking pish but the defense hasny been the worst and is far from our biggest problem.

I was the first person to slate Goldson but truth is, he has been solid lately and at times looked like he was the only one trying a leg. 

Oh well, I suppose someone had to do it.

Hellander, the slowest player in Scottish football, with a turning circle of a cruise liner. Not to mention his turtle neck performances. A CD who can't head a ball. A CD who intimidates no one. He does have a nice touch in a pass. When he get's the time and space. Just what we need. He's that bad, I'd even put Goldson in front of him.

He is the epitomy of all that is wrong in what Gerrard sees in a player and a complete waste of money, but heh ho, Stevie will play hm and drop Katic, bcause that's just how fucked up we are.

7 minutes ago, xaldub said:

Yup, I agree - we have too many players who shy away from the physical side of the game. This is where the poor refereeing comes into the equation, though. I do wonder if some of the timidity we're seeing is due to the players feeling they aren't getting enough protection. Also, if we did have a few midfield enforcer types etc do you honestly believe they wouldn't get red carded in this current climate ?

Not getting enough protection ffs? They are grown fucking men and highly paid to a job, but some are that spineless they need their mammy with them.

5 minutes ago, xaldub said:

it is too easy to blame refs for our failings  i never heard much on here about the stonewall pen that hamilton did not get on sat  when it was 1 1  this place would have been in meltdown if it had happened at the other end  also you can be a physical midfielder and tackle fairly

dont believe some of the timidity is due to refs  it is due to the players being gutless shits some of our players should start growing a pair

44 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Don't think the defence is a massive issue tbh. Just looking at the stats, we've conceded 1 more goal than them. We've scored 17 fewer though. The bigger issue is further forward.

The defence is an issue too. The goals we conceded last night were a joke.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The defence is an issue too. The goals we conceded last night were a joke.

Like I say, occasional fuck ups. 16 in 24 is good though. Better than league winning teams of the past.

49 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

We are struggling to score 1 a game nevermind 3 

Archived