New formations/systems

CoplandRoad83

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

Need to be tried out the rest of the season to try make us more creative and learn more about our players for next season.

We should have already done this tbh.

We know that the 4-3-3 with inside forwards can work against better teams.  We now need a system that massively improves our ability to create chances and score goals against the shite

I would suggest the following options are tried out (with players rotated based on form and suitability for the system not on name, this is just suggestions)

4-2-3-1 - with a number 10 and natural wingers

McGregor

Tav Katic Goldson Barisic

Jack Arfield

Jones Hagi/Stewart Kent

Morelos

4-4-2 - with natural wingers

McGregor

Jones/Hastie Jack Arfield Kent

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

4-4-1-1 - with natural wingers and a number 10

McGregor

Hagi/Stewart

Morelos

3-5-2 - with advanced fullbacks and two strikers

McGregor

Katic Goldson Edmundson

Tav                                         Barisic

Jack Arfield Aribo

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

Wish we had been trying things like this out behind closed doors in January rather than running players into the ground in Dubai.

Would definitely give 3-5-2 a run of games. 

Just need to have more goalscorers on the park in these games its tht simple.  having davis, kamara,jack and arfield on. And kamberi, defoe, stewart. On the bench is wrong. 

Morelos Stewart Aribo Hagi Kent and Defoe/kamberi, should be starting every game at home to  these defensive teams  

McGregor

Tav Goldson Jack Barisic

Stewart  Aribo     Hagi     Kent

Morelos    Kamberi/Defoe

With jack pushing into the holding role n dropping back if the opponent cross the half way line.

We might concede with that approach but would fancy us to be scoring at least 3

8 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Still don’t understand why we signed 4 wingers Jones Hastie Ojo Barker 5 if you include Kent yet we don’t apparently play with any anymore just 2 number 10s. 

Seems like a real lack of communication to me from Gerrard and whoever is making the signings

What’s even more mental is that four out of the five are worse players than Candeias is. 

His stats weren’t the best but at least he pressed and worked for the entire 90 minutes and at least he actually looked to get down the line rather than just go from out to in all the time.

16 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

Need to be tried out the rest of the season to try make us more creative and learn more about our players for next season.

We should have already done this tbh.

We know that the 4-3-3 with inside forwards can work against better teams.  We now need a system that massively improves our ability to create chances and score goals against the shite

I would suggest the following options are tried out (with players rotated based on form and suitability for the system not on name, this is just suggestions)

4-2-3-1 - with a number 10 and natural wingers

McGregor

Jack Arfield

Jones Hagi/Stewart Kent

Morelos

4-4-2 - with natural wingers

McGregor

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

4-4-1-1 - with natural wingers and a number 10

McGregor

Hagi/Stewart

Morelos

3-5-2 - with advanced fullbacks and two strikers

McGregor

Katic Goldson Edmundson

Tav                                         Barisic

Jack Arfield Aribo

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

Wish we had been trying things like this out behind closed doors in January rather than running players into the ground in Dubai.

3-5-2 

Replace Aribo with Hagi.

We need to be more flexible so we can have different formations depending on the opposition, as well as the ability to change formation during a game if required. This has the benefit of also keeping the opposition guessing, as they're not sure how we'll line up. We also need to better use substitutions.

We need to give a few of the fringe players a chance, Jones, Stewart or Kamberi deserve a chance if they're looking good in training. Gerrard needs to be ruthless, no players position in the team is guaranteed including Goldson, Tav, Morelos, Kent etc.

But most of all we need  players who are willing to give 100% every game. Too many of our team look like they treat the games as if they were friendlies instead of a battle to win the league.

1 minute ago, five stars said:

We need to be more flexible so we can have different formations depending on the opposition, as well as the ability to change formation during a game if required. This has the benefit of also keeping the opposition guessing, as they're not sure how we'll line up. We also need to better use substitutions.

We need to give a few of the fringe players a chance, Jones, Stewart or Kamberi deserve a chance if they're looking good in training. Gerrard needs to be ruthless, no players position in the team is guaranteed including Goldson, Tav, Morelos, Kent etc.

But most of all we need  players who are willing to give 100% every game. Too many of our team look like they treat the games as if they were friendlies instead of a battle to win the league.

Gaffer has questioned the character and mentality of the side. I’d expect the axe to drop for the weekends game

Players shitting it from running forward with the ball, shitting it from shooting outside the box and passing backward because it’s easier will not change with a change in formation.

The manager needs to tell them their job is to show some balls and if they can’t then they shouldn’t be picked. 

Tactics and formations only work if the players are capable. 

Sadly a lot of our players look incapable. 

System is fine for me we need to stop pussy footing around taking to many touches.

Every time Kent, Aribo and Jones get the the ball just run at them, commit the defenders draw fouls and get down the flanks, not the usual cut inside lay it off pish we do.  RUN at the bastards.

on a side note we can never play Halliday or Flanagan again. 

Halliday really pissed me of on wed, strutting about like he’s a player.

18 hours ago, bluenoz said:

When was the last time a substitution made an impact? Someone who changed the outcome of a game. And I don't mean Greg Stewart coming on and scoring when we are already comfortably in the lead. Gerrard's subs are usually like for like in the same formation which never really alters a game. I would say this is the thing that Gerrard has yet to learn.

Morelos, boxing day.

We don't seem to be cutting teams open or making many clear cut chances. We need to get Kent into positions where he is one on one with a defender and can use his pace to beat a man instead of running of across the field and into congestion. Stewart def needs a start, prob  in place of Aribo. I'd also like to see more of Jones, in place of Kent if he continues to be off form.

For me our problems are down to how slow we are at passing and moving. I don't know how many times halliday gave the ball to Kent the other night and didn't even offer an overlap leaving Kent with Burke and o'donnell marking him or to shut him down.  Even though I thought Arfield got stuck in and scored a cracker he was also an offender of passing the ball either wide or up to morelos and then standing still.  Aribo also doesn't move much, he has a bit of skill on the ball but far too many times he either slows the play right down by pissing about on it or doesn't move enough to offer options basically just takes up a statuesque central role. 

Our pressing game has went to shit and if our players don't get their fingers out and start running for each other it won't matter what formation we play it will still be the same old predictable slow shite we've seen since the turn of the year. 

I put this in the match thread andI totally agree with OP. This is time for him to change some things and try something new because we've been found out tactically. 

We're not scoring enough goals, we've scored 7 in our 6 league games since coming back whereas celtic have scored 22 in their 6 games back. Before the break we were matching celtic for goals. I also think the midfield have been overused as well and we're left ourselves with little depth.

A change to 3-5-2 could solve both these situations. Changing from effectively 4 or 5 central midfielders to just 3 opens up all kinds of possibilities in there with the 6 or 7 options we have. It leaves a question about Kent but he could certainly play as a 10 as he has been almost anyway, but to be quite frank I think he needs a game or two on the bench.

Then up top we have to get more goals into the team because nobody in that midfield has contributed anything near enough. Arfield has been in decent form scoring 5 in his last 6 starts but before that he hasn't contributed much overall. Changing to a back 3 also gives the deepest of the central midfielders a bit of freedom to go forward without worrying what's happening in behind them.

This idea that Morelos can't play with someone else has to change. We literally rely on him whether we win games or not and it's no fair on him though I'm sure he enjoys being the man. Him and Kamberi going up against two opposition centre halfs seems like a decent match up for us and when Defoe is back then even better. With players like Tav, Barisic whipping in balls like they can having two strikers in there seems a logical step. The creativity of Hagi, Kent or even Stewart in behind them two is an interesting prospect along with ability of Arfield or Aribo to run in behind a defence that has been pulled apart by Morelos, Kamberi or Defoe.

McGregor

Goldson Edmundson  Katic

Tavernier      Arfield    Jack       Barisic (if fit)

Hagi

Morelos  Kamberi

It's all too late now but this is a time to experiment now and try different things. What are we going to lose? Second place?

20 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

Wouldn't you want to test that assumption given the league is over, rather than blindly accept the system we've used to lose two leagues is not the problem?

I’d rather assume the league wasn’t over and stop all this surrender monkey shite - it wasn’t over when we beat them and it ain’t over now - to experiment is to concede! 

30 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I’d rather assume the league wasn’t over and stop all this surrender monkey shite - it wasn’t over when we beat them and it ain’t over now - to experiment is to concede! 

Fair enough tbh.

I was pissed off, still think the league is a long shot and actually still I think its worth experimenting at least to find a way of improving our (albeit) slim chances of the league this year by looking to be more creative and attacking.  We are simply not creating or scoring enough goals atm

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Just did this on fifa 98 and won the African cup of nations wae Rangers. Dae it!

Deliberately made some of the positions wonkey so confuse the opposition. Tactic is called "shock the cunts".

20200214_170710.jpg

Get Gerrard to fuck and give this man the job now.

Playing McGregor at the top of the box is a master stroke.  The new Beckenbauer sweeper keeper role.  Ideal against the low block. 

1 minute ago, Copeland1983 said:

Get Gerrard to fuck and give this man the job now.

Playing McGregor at the top of the box is a master stroke.  The new Beckenbauer sweeper keeper role.  Ideal against the low block. 

Am probably in the top 5 best managers in ma street.

Archived