New formations/systems

CoplandRoad83

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Copeland1983 said:

Likewise.  I'm a firm believer in basing formations on previous success in FM19 and also throwing in current buzzwords like "low block" and "false 9" to let folk know a ken ma stuff.

Been on S1 jobs for about 8 years now looking for manager roles but apparently the manager roles in Tesco don't care much for "won the champions league was Crawley town".

The one thing we need to do is move the ball quicker and get it into Morelos more quickly.

There has to be a degree of directness in your play in this league to be a success. This slow possession based stuff is fine for certain occasions but by and large it’s not working because we are struggling to break teams down so much.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Been on S1 jobs for about 8 years now looking for manager roles but apparently the manager roles in Tesco don't care much for "won the champions league was Crawley town".

Short-sighted idiots.  If you can achieve that with Crawley just think what you could achieve with 20 members of staff, 10 aisles, a butchers, a fishmongers and a bakery.

Don't let them get to you.

14 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Just did this on fifa 98 and won the African cup of nations wae Rangers. Dae it!

Deliberately made some of the positions wonkey so confuse the opposition. Tactic is called "shock the cunts".

20200214_170710.jpg

Shock the cunts system sounds good mate.  Can we win the Scottish cup instead of the ANC?

Too predictable at all times. 
Kent- run down the line and swing in a cross to no one, or cut to the middle and lose possession 

Tav- beat a man wide and then send a cross into the stands 

Barisic- overlap with Kent and send in a cross 

Davis/Kamara - is McGregor open? 

Aribo- recover from a heavy touch and get rid of it 

we all know just watching what is going to happen next. Pretty easy to defend when you know what’s coming. Hagi seems to be the only one willing to show creativity 

Liverpool play a 4-3-3 but adjust to how the game is playing out. We just keep banging our heads off the same wall hoping something good will happen. 

59 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I put this in the match thread andI totally agree with OP. This is time for him to change some things and try something new because we've been found out tactically. 

We're not scoring enough goals, we've scored 7 in our 6 league games since coming back whereas celtic have scored 22 in their 6 games back. Before the break we were matching celtic for goals. I also think the midfield have been overused as well and we're left ourselves with little depth.

A change to 3-5-2 could solve both these situations. Changing from effectively 4 or 5 central midfielders to just 3 opens up all kinds of possibilities in there with the 6 or 7 options we have. It leaves a question about Kent but he could certainly play as a 10 as he has been almost anyway, but to be quite frank I think he needs a game or two on the bench.

Then up top we have to get more goals into the team because nobody in that midfield has contributed anything near enough. Arfield has been in decent form scoring 5 in his last 6 starts but before that he hasn't contributed much overall. Changing to a back 3 also gives the deepest of the central midfielders a bit of freedom to go forward without worrying what's happening in behind them.

This idea that Morelos can't play with someone else has to change. We literally rely on him whether we win games or not and it's no fair on him though I'm sure he enjoys being the man. Him and Kamberi going up against two opposition centre halfs seems like a decent match up for us and when Defoe is back then even better. With players like Tav, Barisic whipping in balls like they can having two strikers in there seems a logical step. The creativity of Hagi, Kent or even Stewart in behind them two is an interesting prospect along with ability of Arfield or Aribo to run in behind a defence that has been pulled apart by Morelos, Kamberi or Defoe.

McGregor

Goldson Edmundson  Katic

Tavernier      Arfield    Jack       Barisic (if fit)

Hagi

Morelos  Kamberi

It's all too late now but this is a time to experiment now and try different things. What are we going to lose? Second place?

We have tailor made wing-backs in Tav and Barisic to be fair.

Altho Tavs crossing is often fucking infuriating 

15 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Likewise.  I'm a firm believer in basing formations on previous success in FM19 and also throwing in current buzzwords like "low block" and "false 9" to let folk know a ken ma stuff.

The best false nine we ever had was Kenny .  

Remember when he was first appointed he wanked on how the team would play different formations blah blah blah.

Apart from the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1 from end of last season he’s played 3 at the back once which was a disaster against Motherwell, a 4-4-2 against Killie which cost us the title last year, and that weird thing at Parkhead last season that could have ended up 10-0 at half time.

1 hour ago, docspiderman said:

Playing 3 central defenders against teams which park the bus?

Why not, tarriers went to killie and done it, they were 3 up by half time

3 centre halves isnt defensive when your wing backs are essentially wingers and your midfield are all interchanging and supporting the 2 front men 

Besides, he's played 2 centre halves and 3 sitting mids against park the bus teams

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Remember when he was first appointed he wanked on how the team would play different formations blah blah blah.

Apart from the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1 from end of last season he’s played 3 at the back once which was a disaster against Motherwell, a 4-4-2 against Killie which cost us the title last year, and that weird thing at Parkhead last season that could have ended up 10-0 at half time.

The 352 was shite because we had a full back playing centre half that day, and ejaria and halliday in centre mid

Put kamara and arfield in centre mid that day and dont bring wallace on for the motherwell corner in the 94th min and we win, probably more comfortably

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The 352 was shite because we had a full back playing centre half that day, and ejaria and halliday in centre mid

Put kamara and arfield in centre mid that day and dont bring wallace on for the motherwell corner in the 94th min and we win, probably more comfortably

Probably, but I was trying to make the point that when he's tried to change it up its not gone well at all. It's almost as if he's written it down on a whiteboard and we never trained that way during the week - which I know is not the case.

What annoys about our team/system is we repeatedly do well for long spells then get in a rut. We concede far too many goals for my liking. I’d really like to see us go to a conventional 442. Let the wingers be wingers with a little and large up front! Can even change it to 352 for different games. 

3-5-2 worth a shout , what about putting Barisic on left of back three.? Push Tavernier and  Jones possibly onto the wide areas  . Got to try  something different , other teams have got us figured out . Especially now the weather / pitches are worse . Playing each other 4 times a season  gives the opposition the chance to get familiar with our style . Mibee I’m just clutching at straws. 

This so-called rigid 4-3-3 has all the fluidity as a formation that anyone is looking for. Kent, Aribo and Hagi have the freedom to do what they want when we're attacking. Morelos covers the whole attacking third and isn't just sat around the box. Both full backs already effectively play like wing backs etc.

What people are basically saying is that they want two strikers up top.

Which is all well and good if we had a second striker who's so good we're desperate to make room for him in the team.

Not so good when that striker is Kamberi.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

This so-called rigid 4-3-3 has all the fluidity as a formation that anyone is looking for. Kent, Aribo and Hagi have the freedom to do what they want when we're attacking. Morelos covers the whole attacking third and isn't just sat around the box. Both full backs already effectively play like wing backs etc.

What people are basically saying is that they want two strikers up top.

Which is all well and good if we had a second striker who's so good we're desperate to make room for him in the team.

Not so good when that striker is Kamberi.

4-3-3 was a fluid system which works well if used as such. Basically interchanging 3,s or even a simple when ball is on one wing the opposite wide player goes in to make 2 strikers and the full back becomes the wide forward.

Where it fails is when the wide forwards rigidly stay wide. However like all systems success depends on movement and passing and that is where our players fail.

27 minutes ago, MillwallLoyal said:

this 3-5-2 for me later, and take it from  there 

McGregor

Goldson  Edmundson  Katic

Tavernier  Hagi  Jack  Aribo  Barisic

Morelos  Kent

Subs: Foderingham, Polster, Arfield, Davis, Kamara, Stewart, Kamberi

I think that was my team and formation on page 1 of the match thread. However, looks like Barisic is injured unless an extra days rest gives him a miraculous recovery.

Archived