Press Conference : Gerrard and Jack

Virtuoso

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Empty words until they can follow it up with their actions

33 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

The first press conference of the season I’ll be wide berthing, as said empty words. 

This. 

All a bit pointless now saying the players will fight blah blah blah. 

Even if the players got a kicking off the manager after Wednesdays game why wasn't it done at Tynecastle? 

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Why?

He should be able to criticise officiating without being prompted!

Criticising refs now looks like sour grapes and a deflection tactic.

It should’ve been done after Parkhead or Hibs last week or any other game.

He did, he said the goal was wrongly chopped off. 
Any other manager would be asked to back that up elaborate.

Why didn’t the press take a chance for a juicy headline? Maybe they been told to leave it alone by their bosses.

They seemed more interested in talking about a manager giving his players a bollocking and whether that was wise. 

45 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Absolutely no mention of the poor refereeing we’ve suffered in the last few games from the media.....

You can’t criticise the referee or it’s fines and sanctions.  That’s why Gerrard will stay clear of that topic for the most part.

36 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He looks fizzy mad and I think a few of that squad got told some very uncomfortable home truths on Wednesday night. 
He mentions the goal from Buff that got chopped off but didn’t back it up by going on to say decisions like that are happening far too often and something has to be done. 
Of course the Fenian press aren’t going to force him on that because that would mean they would have to talk about the elephant in the room. 

Maybe he didn't follow it up because Beale got a 5 match ban the other week for calling the ref a cheat. This makes me think that he and the team know what's going on and are feeling frustrated and at a loss. The club as a whole needs a strategy to combat this situation with the refs, the team and the managers can't do it alone.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Have you seen Aribo’s interviews?  Anymore laid back and he’d be horizontal.  

I don’t really see that as him being laid back to be honest. He’s got anxiety issues and I’m pretty sure he referred to getting a psychologist to help him while he was at Charlton.

21 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Why?

He should be able to criticise officiating without being prompted!

Criticising refs now looks like sour grapes and a deflection tactic.

It should’ve been done after Parkhead or Hibs last week or any other game.

He had the chance there and didn’t take it. 

33 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

He consistently makes a point of not aiming criticism directly at the standards of refereeing. He did mention the fact that Alfredo had a perfectly good goal disallowed, so indirect criticism at best. 

If he were suddenly  come out now and have a go at refereeing standards he would get slaughtered in the media as it would come across as deflecting from below par performances.

Any criticism of refereeing will have to come from the board or one of Jim Traynors pals.

That will be the boards decision he has previously called out refs as has his backroom staff.

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Maybe he didn't follow it up because Beale got a 5 match ban the other week for calling the ref a cheat. This makes me think that he and the team know what's going on and are feeling frustrated and at a loss. The club as a whole needs a strategy to combat this situation with the refs, the team and the managers can't do it alone.

You don’t need to call them a cheat. 

Gerrard is right to say we need to have 'proper people that are prepared to win'. Trouble is the evidence says we don't have enough of them at the moment. We've got some good technical players that lack the bite and bottle that is needed. For every Ryan Jack and Alan McGregor we've got a Joe Aribo and James Tavernier. A further incremental improvement on the same template isnt going to get it done next year either. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So he shouldn’t do it then, they have just let a ScumFC employee of with calling the Refs cheats. So fill your boots Rangers employees. 

I think the club need to take a footballing route to complain.

the nature of sport itself, based on fair-play and equal competition, requires that unethical practices and behaviors in sport be forcefully and effectively countered (Council of Europe 2012).

2.5. Reporting mechanisms
FIFA has made various channels available which can be used to confidentially report suspected match
manipulation activities:
 The FIFA/EWS Integrity Hotline, which is available to the football community for anonymous 24/7
reporting on match manipulation and corruption;
 The confidential reporting mechanism for potential infringements of the FIFA Code of Ethics and
the relevant FIFA regulations and for suspected match manipulation incidents (https://www.bkmssystem.net/FIFA).

3 minutes ago, middli said:

Gerrard is right to say we need to have 'proper people that are prepared to win'. Trouble is the evidence says we don't have enough of them at the moment. We've got some good technical players that lack the bite and bottle that is needed. For every Ryan Jack and Alan McGregor we've got a Joe Aribo and James Tavernier. A further incremental improvement on the same template isnt going to get it done next year either. 

What, like Brandon Barker, Ojo, Hastie, Andy King, Jordan Jones etc.

9 minutes ago, middli said:

Gerrard is right to say we need to have 'proper people that are prepared to win'. Trouble is the evidence says we don't have enough of them at the moment.

Too many of them don't give the impression of being hurt by losing either.

28 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I don’t really see that as him being laid back to be honest. He’s got anxiety issues and I’m pretty sure he referred to getting a psychologist to help him while he was at Charlton.

I always wondered about that as he does come across as quite an anxious person. Good on the lad for doing as many interviews as he does. 

Archived