We need to get behind SG and the team - they have been excellent and can still win the league

Blue_Devil

Over the season we have been excellent and have a record that would put us top of most leagues in Europe. Plenty teams have had a stumble and are back on their way back to the top, from Plymouth to Bayern Munich.

The important thing is to get calm, determined heads back on, and the crowd can help with that.

SG has picked up an average of 2.4 points per game. To put it in context, here are our points per game from 9 in a row (adjusted to 3 points for a win):

1988/89: 2.27

1989/90: 1.97

1990/91: 2.19

1991/92: 2.38

1992/93: 2.41*

1993/94: 1.81

1994/95: 1.91

1995/96: 2.42*

1996/97: 2.22

So the current team have results on a par with the most prolific 9 in a row teams. Only 2 have a better points per game than the current Rangers team (marked with *). A win tomorrow would put SG this season on a higher points per game than any season from 9IAR.

It is a different era and a different context but this team has also gone further in Europe than many of the 9IAR teams. SG's results are not just about a poor SPFL. This team does not deserve abuse. The league is not over, others will drop points. We have a game in hand and 2 games to come against the leaders. We have battered them twice and can do so again. Now is the time for calm, clinical heads.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Difference is the rest of the league are now utter dogshit and put up zero challenge to the filth. 

Comparing our average points with previous years means nothing.

Only thing to compare with is how many the filth have.

We have also gone further in Europe than most Walter Smith teams.

3 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

That this team has not just had excellent results because the SPFL is sh*t. They have had other excellent results.

It is not over. Everyone has a wobble.

We haven’t had excellent results. We’ve dropped points to the team bottom of the league twice. 

I try to stay positive but it is these last few performances that have me seriously doubting 55 Is possible this season. Yes every team has a wobble on the way to a title but we look like an incredibly bad team the we we are playing. Really bad and it doesn't look like the management are changing that. Just at the time we had to put big pressure on tlb and the scum the team just turned to crap.

Just now, BookWorm said:

I try to stay positive but it is these last few performances that have me seriously doubting 55 Is possible this season. Yes every team has a wobble on the way to a title but we look like an incredibly bad team the way we are playing. Really bad ,and it doesn't look like the management are changing that. Just at the time we had to put big pressure on tlb and the scum the team just turned to crap.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

We haven’t had excellent results. We’ve dropped points to the team bottom of the league twice. 

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

What point are you making here? 

League is done. 

2 minutes ago, bighorse said:

Need to educate our players to understand , no one likes us but we dont care . So man up and fight like fu-k.

Over the season, the number of games won is excellent - in any historical or other league context.

Let's say celtic draw away to Aberdeen ( or any other single game) and we win next OF game. If we match every other result we would go into the split 2 points behind. 2 points. It is not over.

We need to keep fighting.

17 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

We have also gone further in Europe than most Walter Smith teams.

most walter smiths teams played in the champions league not the europa league which is a 2nd   when we played in the uefa cup we got to the final 2008

23 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Difference is the rest of the league are now utter dogshit and put up zero challenge to the filth. 

Comparing our average points with previous years means nothing.

Only thing to compare with is how many the filth have.

While I agree with you about how dogshit the rest of the league are the filth still struggle at livi and hivs. Aberdeen away is a usual 3 pts for them but I have a feeling.

Aberdeen are starting to find form. 

Other than those fixtures and ibrox I cannot see them dropping points anywhere. Our run before the split is a lot better. We must win every game - then who knows.

5 minutes ago, billscott said:

most walter smiths teams played in the champions league not the europa league which is a 2nd   when we played in the uefa cup we got to the final 2008

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C._in_European_football

Have a wee refresh. This is one of our best seasons over the last 4 decades (note 1 of, I am not saying the best. 1992/93 and 2007/08 are the stand outs in that time).

4 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

While I agree with you about how dogshit the rest of the league are the filth still struggle at livi and hivs. Aberdeen away is a usual 3 pts for them but I have a feeling.

Aberdeen are starting to find form. 

Other than those fixtures and ibrox I cannot see them dropping points anywhere. Our run before the split is a lot better. We must win every game - then who knows.

aberdeen are not starting to find form they won the other night 3 1 at hamilton  which was their first win since they beat dumbarton 1 nil in the cup with a 88th min pen  also the game the other night was their first goals in 6 games

1 minute ago, Blue_Devil said:

Have a wee refresh. This is one of our best seasons over the last 4 decades (note 1 of, I am not saying the best. 1992/93 and 2007/08 are the stand outs in that time).

It’s worth noting the game has changed. We are dwarfed in budgets in the CL now. 

Back in those days there was still a gap but it was narrower. Cannot overlook this euro run.

I don't think we'll win it now but if we win all of our games up to the split that'll put  us just 4 points behind them with 5 games left, with another crack at them. They've got Livi and Hibs away either side of the game against us, its not impossible that they'll drop points, even a draw would crank up the pressure. We just have to get back to winning games ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, billscott said:

aberdeen are not starting to find form they won the other night 3 1 at hamilton  which was their first win since they beat dumbarton 1 nil in the cup with a 88th min pen  also the game the other night was their first goals in 6 games

Hamilton away is a good result as is their draw with us.

They have been lacking goals and brought Main into the picture. They are not playing badly. They are turning it around.

See how that mob enjoy 70mph winds up by the North Sea. It’s not an easy game.

2 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

i am not arguing that on paper this season and last  our record is very good  the  point i am making is walters teams played a far better quality of opposition than we have played in the last 2 seasons  you are not looking at like for like

What this team have to do is give the fans reason to feel optimistic.  The fans have to see that crunching tackle or an excellent passage of play to get a reaction.

imo it’s the players that have to get a reaction from the fans- the Rangers supporters follow everywhere- preseason friendlies to pointless tournaments in Florida and these players just don’t repay that loyalty enough. We can all say “aye but the fans jump on the 1st bad pass”. But the fans always have done from as far back as I can remember and that pressure is what separates little weak minded pansies from hardened winners.

as you say the league isn’t mathematically over but psychologically it’s done and dusted. This lot will not pull back a 10 point gap even if we had another 38 games to play they wouldn’t do it and no amount of singing from the crowd will change that. 

Archived