Lost The Dressing Room

BridgeIsBlue

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Saying pro footballers are burnt out by valentines day is a shite excuse as well, tarriers have played one game more than us, how are they battering teams the now

Don’t thing they are, either, tbh.

However, when you’re winning and playing well tiredness tends not to appear quite so readily - think it’s psychosomatic, or something like that,

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BillStruthBear said:

The exception, rather than the rule - so a very weak argument. But to answer your question, when we signed Tav, he had been playing in the Championship at Wigan (2014/15 season). So what's your point?

Tav spent nearly all his career in league one, so saying their players are shite and their league is shite, meanwhile we buffed our squad up with guys from killie, motherwell, and Liverpool youth teams, is absolute bonkers

And people having a go at aribo, he has the most assists in our team, so he must be doing something right

Screenshot_20200218-094738_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Possibly, I'm not saying Gerrard is exempt from any criticism as I've been quite critical about his tactics and substitutions since he's came in but he's learning. 

A fair few of his signings have baffled me a bit for example, Hastie played wide right for Motherwell and scored a few belters and that was the form we signed him on yet when he came here Gerrard has played him wide left. He is now playing this system where his wide men come inside but at no point did he try Hastie or Middleton in that position(I'm not suggesting they would have made a big difference) so maybe trusting others is something he needs to work on. 

He’s learning very, very slowly re tactics and substitutions - I think glaciers move quicker.

I agree with the signings right enough.

1 minute ago, left winger said:

Don’t thing they are, either, tbh.

However, when you’re winning and playing well tiredness tends not to appear quite so readily - think it’s psychosomatic, or something like that,

We just pumped the tarriers at their ground, how much more of a boost did the players need

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

We just pumped the tarriers at their ground, how much more of a boost did the players need

You’d think, wouldn’t you 🤷‍♂️
I wish I could explain the response to that - the break must surely have a large part to play? Not sure why, though.

30 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I don't think he's lost the dressing room at all. I know others or most might disagree with this but I think it's more to do with being burnt out and mentally drained. 

We've played 46 competitive games so far (50 including friendlies) and pretty quickly he started to see who he could trust and rotate and others who just weren't up to the standard. We had a great season up to January where the same group of players were being used and others sporadically, we made the last 32 of the EL, we had the low of losing the cup final and then the massive high of beating them at the piggery on the last game before the break. All that is mentally and physically draining considering there's still about another 20 games to go after the break. Gerrard should've gave the players an easy time of it in Dubai and not run them hard, we were off for 3 weeks so giving the players about 10 days to rest up and enjoy a bit of team bonding before starting the work on the Stranraer and St mirren game would've been better. I honestly think the highs and relief of beating they cunts at home has taken more out of our players than we are willing to acknowledge. Football and sport isn't always about how hard and fast you can run and the mental side of it can be just as effective but playing 46 games at that point and not using a big squad of players will take its toll and we are starting to see the effects now. 

We haven't became a bad team over night for no reason and I genuinely don't think he's lost the dressing room, what the answer is we can only guess and point fingers but our form needs to pick up soon and we need to get behind them. 

We have had people advocating people running on the dunes before like Wallace used to have them........I trust the staff we have that the Dubai trip did not impact on their fitness and it was the right amount done unless someone actually provides some data behind that to say otherwise. The amount of games that we have will have an impact on some players that have not been used to playing many games which we saw before with the likes of Goldson last season.

However the other team is playing the same amount of games as us with some of their players having done that for years. I think the main difference is that we have too many core players prepared to hide when it gets into the tough parts of the season.

We had Hagi the other night just in the door trying to make things happen when really other players should be stepping up that have been there for years. If you then look at the respective benches generally the strength in depth is evident in theirs and lacking in ours. However the annoying thing is that we have the likes Jones and Stewart on the bench who have in the past scored/performed well against many of the teams we are struggling to break down.

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not silly, for a start not every players has played every game for the full 90 either, secondly a lot of our games have been like training games for the last half hour, fuck the stranraer game was a full game of fuck all intensity

Plus in your 46 games you include shite like st josephs, absolutely no way they two legs were played at high intensity for the full 90

Theres plenty of excuses for players falling out of form, burnt out by february is a cop out

He's not exactly used the full squad on a regular basis and the St Joseph's games were played when the players were in the middle of pre season where they would be running hard off the pitch. 

We have some players who will have played the majority of these games, mixed with the emotional side of how the season has panned out, they could easily be burnt out. 

People dismissing this clearly have never kept fit or know the burden of training hard and playing games so regularly. Fitness in football is in a different world now and that's why there was discussions in the summer about maybe trying to restrict players from playing x amount of games. 

We've been emotionally through the wringer and the players feel that and take it home with them. We spout off on a forum but they can't as they need to be seen as being professional. It all adds up and as I said in my original statement I think the high of beating them at the piggery was like winning the league for our players, the emotion, relief and celebrations after would make us think that but the job was only half done and we've came back flat. 

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Saying pro footballers are burnt out by valentines day is a shite excuse as well, tarriers have played one game more than us, how are they battering teams the now

They've got a much bigger squad which they've used, we haven't. 

6 minutes ago, gj923 said:

We have had people advocating people running on the dunes before like Wallace used to have them........I trust the staff we have that the Dubai trip did not impact on their fitness and it was the right amount done unless someone actually provides some data behind that to say otherwise. The amount of games that we have will have an impact on some players that have not been used to playing many games which we saw before with the likes of Goldson last season.

However the other team is playing the same amount of games as us with some of their players having done that for years. I think the main difference is that we have too many core players prepared to hide when it gets into the tough parts of the season.

We had Hagi the other night just in the door trying to make things happen when really other players should be stepping up that have been there for years. If you then look at the respective benches generally the strength in depth is evident in theirs and lacking in ours. However the annoying thing is that we have the likes Jones and Stewart on the bench who have in the past scored/performed well against many of the teams we are struggling to break down.

You compare them to having played the same amount of games and then answer it by saying their bench is stronger than ours. Sports fitness is completely different to what it was running the dunes. 

I don’t think he’s lost the dressing, far, far from it in fact.  However I don’t think he’s managed the squad particularly well.

For months, and especially at the start of the season, he continually banged on about needing a ‘squad’, that he would need all his ‘squad’ and it wasn’t about the 11 or 18.

In truth though, he’s marginalised, often unfairly, a number of them (none more so that Stewart and Jones, for example) and instead kept playing guys that were out of form/not contributing.

We were all crying out for Aribo, Kamara and Arfield, even Kent at times, to be dropped earlier in the season.  And he steadfastly refused to do so.  It took him until December/just recently to bench/omit Ojo, which is just insane.

What kind of message does that send to your ‘squad’ that you so explicitly said would be required? 

I certainly don’t think he’s lost them but a few will be disgruntled, and understandably so.

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Exactly, the relief of beating them and thinking the job was done is my point about the mental side of the game. It's been years since we beat them there and the euphoria that came with it could easily lead to the team on a come down. 

It's mentally and physically taxing and our players are showing it. 

4 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

I don’t think he’s lost the dressing, far, far from it I’m fact.  However I don’t think he’s managed the squad particularly well.

For months, and especially at the start of the season, he continually banged on about needing a ‘squad’, that he would need all his ‘squad’ and it wasn’t about the 11 or 18.

In truth though, he’s marginalised, often unfairly, a number of them (none more so that Stewart and Jones, for example) and instead kept playing guys that were out of form/not contributing.

We were all crying out for Aribo, Kamara and Arfield, even Kent at times, to be dropped earlier in the season.  And he steadfastly refused to do so.  It took him until December/just recently to bench/omit Ojo, which is just insane.

What kind of message does that send to your ‘squad’ that you so explicitly said would be required? 

I certainly don’t think he’s lost them but a few will be disgruntled, and understandably so.

Good post, I can understand and see that as well. 

Stewart has scored a few goals for the limited time he's been given, I'm not sure what else he needs to do to get a run in the team. 

1 minute ago, left winger said:

You’d think, wouldn’t you 🤷‍♂️
I wish I could explain the response to that - the break must surely have a large part to play? Not sure why, though.

Tbh , after a good couple of months before the break , winning hard league  games away from home , being robbed in a cup final , qualifying from the Europa group stages and generally playing some great football , I think some of these players thought the hard work was done. 

We had an easier January / February to what we had in December with a majority of home games while the tarriers faced some difficult away ties . Our attitude stank when we came back , thinking we only had to turn up against teams like StMirren , Ross County and bottom of the league,  Hearts . 

Now the shit has hit the fan ,with the realisation of what theyve thrown away   with panic now setting in on how to recover the pole position they had at the turn of the year. 

I honestly think it's that simple more than anything else . 

13 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Tbh , after a good couple of months before the break , winning hard league  games away from home , being robbed in a cup final , qualifying from the Europa group stages and generally playing some great football , I think some of these players thought the hard work was done. 

We had an easier January / February to what we had in December with a majority of home games while the tarriers faced some difficult away ties . Our attitude stank when we came back , thinking we only had to turn up against teams like StMirren , Ross County and bottom of the league,  Hearts . 

Now the shit has hit the fan ,with the realisation of what theyve thrown away   with panic now setting in on how to recover the pole position they had at the turn of the year. 

I honestly think it's that simple more than anything else . 

Could be some truth in that, it was certainly well documented on here, and elsewhere, that our run of matches up to the break was much harder than our run after the break. And we know how that’s gone so far.

29 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

You compare them to having played the same amount of games and then answer it by saying their bench is stronger than ours. Sports fitness is completely different to what it was running the dunes. 

Running the dunes was used as an example that the majority of fans included would not know the optimum training schedule for a professional footballer over the course of a season but that does'nt stop people from forming an opinion with facts to back it up.

Playing the same amount and a stronger bench are two different points. The first  was highlighting that there is another team having played the same amount of games as us so for the players that where here last year the amount of games should not make a difference.

The strength of the bench is highlighting that they have a much better chance of impacting a game with subs

Over preparation for game against them. Under preparation for everyone else.

You saw the reaction when we beat them, it was like we were about to lift the trophy that day, I felt it too. It is hard to rebound from that high. 
What makes the scum so good is they are able to find balance between all games and find a way to get points, we have no issue whatsoever with big games but sometimes struggle to find intensity against lower teams. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tav spent nearly all his career in league one, so saying their players are shite and their league is shite, meanwhile we buffed our squad up with guys from killie, motherwell, and Liverpool youth teams, is absolute bonkers

And people having a go at aribo, he has the most assists in our team, so he must be doing something right

Screenshot_20200218-094738_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ludicrous basis for an argument, I'm actually a bit embarrassed for you. 

1 hour ago, gj923 said:

Running the dunes was used as an example that the majority of fans included would not know the optimum training schedule for a professional footballer over the course of a season but that does'nt stop people from forming an opinion with facts to back it up.

Playing the same amount and a stronger bench are two different points. The first  was highlighting that there is another team having played the same amount of games as us so for the players that where here last year the amount of games should not make a difference.

The strength of the bench is highlighting that they have a much better chance of impacting a game with subs

Being here last season and playing the same amount of games won't make a difference on the basis they won't be any fitter for it, if you've not got the squad to rotate and keep players fresh then you'll have the same outcome. We can't win the league playing the same 16/18 players. 

There's also been players who have went off form and not been dropped due to him not trusting or giving others a chance. 

Archived