*****Official Rangers v Braga Thread *****

Scottywellhousetb

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

I just don't get that but fair enough 

I dont really get it either. The only other time I've ever had it was during the 2nd division McCoist reign, which was a million times worse than what's currently been going on, but for some reason I am where I am. I doubt I'll even watch it on the Tele.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0-3.  I don’t expect us to even lay a glove on them, how can we? We can’t beat Aberdeen killie or hearts since winter and see if we manage to scrape the win then it shows the players we have are no better than the sheep’s no marks who raise their game for us then cheat the fans nearly every other week.

14 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

0-3.  I don’t expect us to even lay a glove on them, how can we? We can’t beat Aberdeen killie or hearts since winter and see if we manage to scrape the win then it shows the players we have are no better than the sheep’s no marks who raise their game for us then cheat the fans nearly every other week.

I think one of the reasons we play well in Europe is because the teams we are up against generally try to play actual football and don't sit in the entire game with 2 banks of 5, or boot utter fuck out of us without getting carded.

We struggle like fuck to break down kilmarnock, the sheep and the like as they have no interest in playing football against us.

Edit: Jack's suspended

I'm actually more worried about St. Johnstone on Sunday than this. I think in Europe against decent sides we've coped reasonably well especially at Ibrox. I think this 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 works quite well in Europe.

McGregor

Tav           Goldson         Katic    Barisic (if fit)

Jack           Davis     Kamara

Hagi         Kent

Morelos

Obviously Kamara in for Arfield might seem weird but Kamara in Europe has played well and I think those three are suited to playing in Europe. Arfield has probably, along with McGregor and Hagi, been our best player since the break.

We've seen with Arfield that he starts to suffer after a lot of games and I think Jack/Kamara/Davis are more suited to Europe. Leave Arfield on the bench and bring him on if we need him like we did against Porto and bring him back in for Kamara on Sunday and Aribo back in for Davis to. Arfield and Davis need managed better.

6 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I'm actually more worried about St. Johnstone on Sunday than this. I think in Europe against decent sides we've coped reasonably well especially at Ibrox. I think this 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 works quite well in Europe.

McGregor

Tav           Goldson         Katic    Barisic (if fit)

Jack           Davis     Kamara

Hagi         Kent

Morelos

Obviously Kamara in for Arfield might seem weird but Kamara in Europe has played well and I think those three are suited to playing in Europe. Arfield has probably, along with McGregor and Hagi, been our best player since the break.

We've seen with Arfield that he starts to suffer after a lot of games and I think Jack/Kamara/Davis are more suited to Europe. Leave Arfield on the bench and bring him on if we need him like we did against Porto and bring him back in for Kamara on Sunday and Aribo back in for Davis to. Arfield and Davis need managed better.

Jack's suspended 

I would have been very sure that we win this match had it been played in December. A complete form reversal since then. Braga have run into form while we have lost the plot.

But it's a European night at Ibrox. What better time to get cracking. No Scottish officials and VAR (not the English version). Looking forward to this immensely.

3 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I would have been very sure that we win this match had it been played in December. A complete form reversal since then. Braga have run into form while we have lost the plot.

But it's a European night at Ibrox. What better time to get cracking. No Scottish officials and VAR (not the English version). Looking forward to this immensely.

The game was always at best 50 50

22 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I think we are more suited to these games the players seem to come alive also Morelos has like 14 goals in this competition so really excels in Europe.

I honestly do not know the strengths or weaknesses of Braga though so could be a tough one. 

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think we are more suited to these games the players seem to come alive also Morelos has like 14 goals in this competition so really excels in Europe.

I honestly do not know the strengths or weaknesses of Braga though so could be a tough one. 

There are highlights of all their recent games on youtube. They are frighteningly quick at exchanging passes through the middle. My heart says they will leave spaces for us to exploit. My head says they'll tear us apart.

2 minutes ago, Flatcap said:

There are highlights of all their recent games on youtube. They are frighteningly quick at exchanging passes through the middle. My heart says they will leave spaces for us to exploit. My head says they'll tear us apart.

No doubt that they are playing well at the moment. But I pin my hopes on the belief that they are not as good as Porto. For sure we will not be facing a 10 man defense which I think plays in our favour.

2 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Was told by a mate that has watched the last few games that they have played that they are a good attacking team however opposition teams do get plenty of chances against them as well.

The sheep come here with one aim in mind which is defend, defend, defend with a few boots left in. European football suits us more so yes it will be a tough game but we are more than capable of getting a result on Thursday....even over there the following week.

5 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We have a bus full almost of players a yellow away from missing the 2nd leg isn't Jack suspended for this one

Off the top of my head I think Morelos, Barisic and Kamara are one booking away from missing the 2nd leg although I may have just made that up. Jack is already suspended and I think all bookings get wiped next round though.

Just now, The Monk said:

Off the top of my head I think Morelos, Barisic and Kamara are one booking away from missing the 2nd leg although I may have just made that up. Jack is already suspended and I think all bookings get wiped next round though.

Its round after next mate 

McGregor

Tav           Goldson         Katic    Barisic

Aribo        Kamara

Arfield          Hagi         Kent

Morelos

2-0 Rangers

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic

Davis

Aribo      Arfield

<--Hagi-->                      

Kamberi

Morelos

Kamberi playing just of Morelos and Hagi in a free role. Takes me back to my FM days. 

19 hours ago, HuistraHairDo said:

V A R m lord V A R 

It's going to be interesting to see how the officiating is when using the VAR system.  I don't think VAR alone is enough for Scottish football. There needs to be an independent compliance system in place for refs, so that misuse of the system can be cited against them and punishments given to deter any cheating. 

VAR comes into play for Rangers and celtic as Willie Collum gets pair ready for Europa League first - The Scottish Premiership pair are about to get a taste of the future as they get ready for a return to the Euro fold.

celtic and Rangers are preparing for a return to the Europa League with both targeting an extended run in the tournament. The Scottish Premiership pair deservedly booked their places in the last 32 with a host of stirring displays during the group stage. And now both Neil Lennon and Steven Gerrard are eyeing further success on the pitch with celtic facing Copenhagen and Rangers taking on Braga. But both teams will have more than just the action on the pitch on their minds. They will also be keeping a close eye on a Euro first as VAR comes into play during the knockouts.

The video replay system has come under fire in the English Premier League this season but VAR's usage in the Champions League has been praised for being more streamlined and less pedantic than the format currently being implemented in the richest league in the world. That comes from the fact referees have the chance to view replays of offsides and potential red cards for themselves rather than being guided by another official watching remotely. Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has publicly backed the use of VAR and lamented the lack of video replay available during his side's 2-1 group stage defeat against Young Boys. Gerrard has now been granted his wish both celtic and Rangers with referee chief Crawford Allan and and grade one whistler Willie Collum breaking down how VAR will work for them.

And Hoops boss Neil Lennon admits he will be an interested spectator as Scottish football gets its first taste of the pioneering technology. He said: “So we are prepared for that and it will be interesting to see how that pans out for the first time using that experience. “There will be a monitor at the side of the pitch so the referee will go and make a decision from that. “You can’t try and influence the referee on anything, you must stay away from that and let the referee interpret what he sees, that’s the rules." VAR will be in place for celtic's trip to Copenhagen and at Ibrox as the in-form Portuguese side arrive hot of the heels of their stirring win over Benfica. But will a taste of the future lead to sweeping changes in Scottish football?

SFA chief Ian Maxwell recently admitted he wants clubs to make a definitive long-term decision over whether or not to introduce VAR north of the border. He said: "Because of the way England has implemented VAR and the focus received it has led to fewer people pushing for it in Scotland. "But we have had a couple of high profile incidents recently that would have been corrected, you might have thought. "And in the early part of 2020 we need to be going to Scottish football and saying, 'there is the cost guys, do you want to do it or not?' "That is the way it's going to have to be because when you look at all the other countries that have it, the association will pay for the implementation costs and the training of match officials.

"But we would also need more match officials and we are in the process of finalising details of how much that would cost. "I would like to think we would have all that completed within the first three months of 2020. Ultimately the clubs are going to have to pay for it one way or another because it is either coming from the league distribution prize pot - the money left over when all the costs are stripped away - or it's coming from the Scottish FA pot distributed to clubs. "Clubs need to be as informed as they can about fundamentally how much it's going to cost."

Source: A newspaper.

17 hours ago, j1mgg said:

I think this will be our turning point, think the team will be more suited to European style footie, and carry it in from there.

I'm hoping for this too and agree about our style of footie. :rangers:

Archived