The split

bluenoz

I cannot believe after 20 years we still have this in our game after the first 33 matches. Does any other league have anything similar? I can only imagine this was concocted by a few computer geeks who never really played the game.

If by some way we managed to claw ourselves back into this title, there will be derision from one side of the city or the other for sure. It is flawed and cannot be fairly balanced. Only in Scotland.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bluenoz said:

I cannot believe after 20 years we still have this in our game after the first 33 matches. Does any other league have anything similar? I can only imagine this was concocted by a few computer geeks who never really played the game.

If by some way we managed to claw ourselves back into this title, there will be derision from one side of the city for sure. It is flawed and cannot be fairly balanced. Only in Scotland.

Only league where you play some teams more than others🤣🤣 shambles.

The fact it causes an imbalance between home and away fixtures is annoying. 

Other than that, I'm all for it. Fighting it out with the top half of the league during a title race is pretty good entertainment - even though I'd obviously prefer to have everything wrapped up at the earliest point. 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah don’t know why.

In Holland they have a play off for the last Europa League spot which is odd.

South America they have opening (autumn) and closing (winter) championships. You can win the league twice in a season 😂 

You can win the league from like 8th in Mexico as well

30 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If by some way we managed to claw ourselves back into this title, there will be derision from one side of the city or the other for sure. It is flawed and cannot be fairly balanced. Only in Scotland.

True, but it has given us some of the best league finishes in my life. 

Its fucked up, but it can't be denied that it has almost always been entertaining.  Before our troubles happened anyway. The last 8 have been a joke. 

41 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Can't believe the concept has lasted 20yrs.

It should be scrapped in favour of a bigger league.

The TV companies want four Old Firm games a season and the current set up is basically the only way to do it. They aren’t going to sacrifice that to add teams like Queen of the South and Ayr to the league.

29 minutes ago, McKissock said:

The fact it causes an imbalance between home and away fixtures is annoying. 

Other than that, I'm all for it. Fighting it out with the top half of the league during a title race is pretty good entertainment - even though I'd obviously prefer to have everything wrapped up at the earliest point. 

Did we not win the league one time before the split? 

4 minutes ago, don logan said:

I don't mind the split.

Me neither. More games against the better teams, fewer against the shite ones. More for teams compete for in the league as well.

The whole 7th can end up with more than 6th doesn't matter. Just alter your perspective a bit. Bit if an inflexible outlook to complain about that. It effectively becomes 2 separate leagues. 

Not perfect, but it has some good qualities and it allows a 12 team league, which is about right for me.

16 minutes ago, teddybear1975 said:

Read today that if the top six remain the same until split the scum play five of there 6 games at home?

Five of last five, however when it was drawn up, it was decided Rangers and them had to have 19 home and away. The mhanky mob would need to play two teams away,  therefore 3 times away in one season. I think we have played the sheep 3 times away on more than one occasion 

Archived