Time for a new manager?

Dave Hedgehog

He'll be here next year, but unless there are major changes in the squad, the fans will turn on him pretty quick.

He is urging the players to play through this, but the reality is theyve checked out long ago. Get half of them to fuck starting with Tav.

Who am I kidding, it will be Tav and Goldson starting the next game. Scunnered.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that gets me is that Lennon - who's hardly a master tactician and has lost dressing rooms in the past - managed to make motivational and tactical changes in the winter break which have fundamentally turned their season around. There are managers who we could afford and attract who could have out-thought and out-managed Neil fucking Lennon and if Gerrard can't do that he's not at the required level. 

3 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Looks to me it’s either 8/9 new players or it will need to be a new manager coz this current squad have downed tools for Gerrard 

Our problems are 100% down to mentality. We’ve beaten Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen by >4 goals and thoroughly outclassed celtic and European opposition far beyond SPL standard then - after a break which actually improved our squad - completely flopped. We’re already the most technically capable team in our league. If we sign better players but fail to address the mental rot it won’t make any difference. I reckon only way Gerrard overcomes that mental barrier in the squad is by winning something. So we either win the Europa League or wait another year. 

2 hours ago, rangersross said:

We can't sack him but there's a decent chance he'll quit if he feels more failure here is going to damage his future prospects. 

Gerrard has no future as a manager if he doesnt turn us around 

Big clubs wont touch him, lesser clubs cant afford his management style, he's a sky sports pundit for the future

28 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Gerrard has no future as a manager if he doesnt turn us around 

Big clubs wont touch him, lesser clubs cant afford his management style, he's a sky sports pundit for the future

I’m not so sure. His stature in the game is such that he could probably still get an EFL Championship or MLS job. He’s still a “rookie” in some ways - and plenty of sides are willing to take a punt on those - but a rookie who can also point to guiding a Scottish team to the latter stages of a European competition stands in pretty good stead. Especially if it’s widely accepted in football that Rangers is a very tough gig (and I imagine it is). 

I'd definitely keep Gerrard.  There is no way we can play 16 games in Europe and play Sellick off the park twice and not be a decent side.

So what has gone wrong?  I'd start with the basics - Goldson, Katic, making schoolboy errors and conceding terrible goals.  Goldson v Hamilton ; Tav v Hearts; Katic v St Johnstone ; the list just goes on and we'd still have a chance in the league if we hadn't given away crazy points even if not playing well.  At the other end of the park , Buff has stopped scoring, got suspended etc.  I know we're not playing well - but neither are Sellick.

Get the basics right and we wouldn't have been far away :(

Archived