*****Official Rangers v Hamilton Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

2 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Got to be two up front with Kamberi and Defoe. Wouldn't let Alfie near it. He's done with hs.

Tav benched.

If we roll out the same old 433 shite and the same faces, the game is well and truly up for Gerrard, win lose or draw.

People can talk all they want about Defoe's 17 tap-ins this year but to me he is finished. He is running on fumes and offers nothing outside three yards. I'm sure someone will tell me they don't care if that is all he does. Give me Kamberi any day as our #2 striker.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All he has to do is work out a way of beating St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc etc

To pack in the Rangers job on that basis would be crazy.

It might even be a case of simply signing some of these SPL hammer throwers??

Remember Souness signed Bomber because every time Souness kicked him he came back for more.

Souness said,"That will do for me"

41 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

People can talk all they want about Defoe's 17 tap-ins this year but to me he is finished. He is running on fumes and offers nothing outside three yards. I'm sure someone will tell me they don't care if that is all he does. Give me Kamberi any day as our #2 striker.

Said at the time an utter disgrace giving him a years contract, he can barely move now ,a pal of Gerrards that's the reason

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

All he has to do is work out a way of beating St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc etc

To pack in the Rangers job on that basis would be crazy.

It might even be a case of simply signing some of these SPL hammer throwers??

Remember Souness signed Bomber because every time Souness kicked him he came back for more.

Souness said,"That will do for me"

I said that in a post last night  we have to get more strength in the team  most of the Nancy boys we have cannot handle it and we need to fight fire with fire

McGregor

Goldson
                    Edmundson                                                Katic

Flanagan
Tavernier                                                                                        Barisic
                                         Jack (c)                          Hagi

Kamberi         Defoe

3-5-2

Bench (Assuming Arfield and Helander are out): Foderingham, Polster/Halliday, Kent, Jones, Morelos, Aribo

Tactics specific to Hamilton... and assuming Jack is fit enough to play...

Given how all over the place our 3 Fit CB's have been, going with all of them probably means two would have a decent game and be able to drag the other through the game. Tell them to keep it simple. When they win the ball get it to Jack/Hagi. Completely bypass Flanagan. Only when Jack/Hagi are not available to receive the ball does it go to Tav/Barisic. 

Flanagan is purely there to be that enforcer we are talking about. Not ideal. I don't like him as a person, but we have to work with whats available and he's never one to shy out of a tackle.  Again, instructed to get it to the nearest forward looking player (inc Tav/Barisic) as soon as the ball is won. When Flanagan gets the absolutely guaranteed yellow, Polster or Halliday are subbed on to do the same role.

Flanagan would sit, Jack is given the role to control the flow out to Tav/Barisic and on to Hagi (who would sit more forward as a no.10.). No need for Jack to give much thought, other than defending against breaks, to going backwards as Hamilton will probably only have 1-2 men forward most of the time anyway. 

Kamberi and Defoe would be the first 2 strikers at the moment. Morelos needs to earn his slot back and can be brought on whenever Defoe tires. 

If the above isn't working then sub whoever is worst between Tav, Barisic, Jack or Hagi with Kent, Aribo or Jones.

Then for Ross County, tweak depending on who performed against Hamilton. E.g. Polster in for Flanagan. Or if Jack is injured Kent in for Jack.

Back to 4-3-3 for Bayer and celtic. Then 3-5-2 again for St Mirren and Motherwell... and Arfield (who's been decent) gets on the bench when he is fit again and can fight it out with Jack for who gets that position in the 3-5-2. Davis needs to earn his place back and Kamara is behind him.

EDIT:  And emphasise to the players that they need to be right at the ref all game about oposition time wasting, other teams stealing 10+yards at every free kick/throw in and about repeated fouls without bookings. No doubt we'll get a few bookings for that but we need to make life as hard for the officials as possible.

5 minutes ago, SJGF5 said:

McGregor

Goldson
                    Edmundson                                                Katic

Flanagan
Tavernier                                                                                        Barisic
                                         Jack (c)                          Hagi

Kamberi         Defoe

3-5-2

Bench (Assuming Arfield and Helander are out): Foderingham, Polster/Halliday, Kent, Jones, Morelos, Aribo

Tactics specific to Hamilton... and assuming Jack is fit enough to play...

Given how all over the place our 3 Fit CB's have been, going with all of them probably means two would have a decent game and be able to drag the other through the game. Tell them to keep it simple. When they win the ball get it to Jack/Hagi. Completely bypass Flanagan. Only when Jack/Hagi are not available to receive the ball does it go to Tav/Barisic. 

Flanagan is purely there to be that enforcer we are talking about. Not ideal. I don't like him as a person, but we have to work with whats available and he's never one to shy out of a tackle.  Again, instructed to get it to the nearest forward looking player (inc Tav/Barisic) as soon as the ball is won. When Flanagan gets the absolutely guaranteed yellow, Polster or Halliday are subbed on to do the same role.

Flanagan would sit, Jack is given the role to control the flow out to Tav/Barisic and on to Hagi (who would sit more forward as a no.10.). No need for Jack to give much thought, other than defending against breaks, to going backwards as Hamilton will probably only have 1-2 men forward most of the time anyway. 

Kamberi and Defoe would be the first 2 strikers at the moment. Morelos needs to earn his slot back and can be brought on whenever Defoe tires. 

If the above isn't working then sub whoever is worst between Tav, Barisic, Jack or Hagi with Kent, Aribo or Jones.

Then for Ross County, tweak depending on who performed against Hamilton. E.g. Polster in for Flanagan. Or if Jack is injured Kent in for Jack.

Back to 4-3-3 for Bayer and celtic. Then 3-5-2 again for St Mirren and Motherwell... and Arfield (who's been decent) gets on the bench when he is fit again and can fight it out with Jack for who gets that position in the 3-5-2. Davis needs to earn his place back and Kamara is behind him.

EDIT:  And emphasise to the players that they need to be right at the ref all game about oposition time wasting, other teams stealing 10+yards at every free kick/throw in and about repeated fouls without bookings. No doubt we'll get a few bookings for that but we need to make life as hard for the officials as possible.

Let me get this straight ; You’d pick Flanagan at CDM?

I need to start drinking again..

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Yes. He's a less than average left back. He's barely better at right back but as he has demonstrated multiple times over the last year and a half he is one of the few who has a bit of fight in him. He isn't afraid to get stuck in and going through the whole squad he's the best option for the role.  (And if it doesn't work out, then next up for the role is Polster.)

McGregor       

Polster      Edmundson    Katic    Barisic  

Jack   

Aribo.        Hagi        Arfield    

Kamberi     Morelos   

No Tavernier

No Goldson

No Kent

No two holding midfielders

Two up top

3  midfielders behind the two strikers with a license to play with freedom.

Constant attacking and none of this slow backward shite.

Polster deserves a shot.

Lets see a central defence without the only one who never gets dropped.

Lets play to not only win but to batter these teams. 

9 minutes ago, SJGF5 said:

Yes. He's a less than average left back. He's barely better at right back but as he has demonstrated multiple times over the last year and a half he is one of the few who has a bit of fight in him. He isn't afraid to get stuck in and going through the whole squad he's the best option for the role.  (And if it doesn't work out, then next up for the role is Polster.)

I’m away for a lie down pal.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Anyone putting Flannigan in a team sheet in his natural position is at it, when they start putting him as a defensive midfielder then you start questioning their sanity. 

Who, other than him, in the current squad of players is suited to a role where they are purely there to go and win the ball? We know it isn't Davis or Kamara. Potentially it could have been McCrorie or Docherty had they not been out on loan. Polster I'm not sure is that guy but would give him a chance if Flanagan can't handle the simple instruction of being sent out to win the ball anywhere near the centre circle and then immediately pass it on. Jack isn't that guy either (partly because any time he breathes near a player he get's booked and partly because he is better suited to breaking up play further forward.)

2 minutes ago, SJGF5 said:

Who, other than him, in the current squad of players is suited to a role where they are purely there to go and win the ball? We know it isn't Davis or Kamara. Potentially it could have been McCrorie or Docherty had they not been out on loan. Polster I'm not sure is that guy but would give him a chance if Flanagan can't handle the simple instruction of being sent out to win the ball anywhere near the centre circle and then immediately pass it on. Jack isn't that guy either (partly because any time he breathes near a player he get's booked and partly because he is better suited to breaking up play further forward.)

I don't care who the player is but literally any central midfielder in our squad is a better pick than Flannigan. 

17 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I don't care who the player is but literally any central midfielder in our squad is a better pick than Flannigan. 

As a central midfielder, yes. As someone who doesn't mind getting into a bit of a battle. No. Midfield quality is what Jack and Hagi are there for. (EDIT: As a perfect example, look back to Tynecastle last season when we won 1-3. It was Flanagan winning the ball in the centre circle with a good solid tackle that resulted in Defoe's goal. There are more examples of him doing this too. So it wasn't a one off, although they don't always result in goals.)

25 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

McGregor       

Polster      Edmundson    Katic    Barisic  

Jack   

Aribo.        Hagi        Arfield    

Kamberi     Morelos   

No Tavernier

No Goldson

No Kent

No two holding midfielders

Two up top

3  midfielders behind the two strikers with a license to play with freedom.

Constant attacking and none of this slow backward shite.

Polster deserves a shot.

Lets see a central defence without the only one who never gets dropped.

Lets play to not only win but to batter these teams. 

Arfield will be injured mate 

20 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Aribo should never play on the right wing again.

Constantly looking behind him to check if going to be hit when he gets ball.

I wouldn’t have him near team but if he’s playing then it’s got to be coming from deep.

To be honest I think Aribo is one of our most talented players but he’s a square peg in a round hole when playing this system. The same goes for Hagi as well imo, if Gerrard wants to succeed he has to alter the system as whilst 4-3-3 is ideal for playing in Europe, it’s clearly ineffective domestically for some time now.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The way we have been playing I could do that role.  At least he is taking the time to come up with an alternative tactical plan  whether we agree or disagree. 

2 hours ago, The Monk said:

To be honest I think Aribo is one of our most talented players but he’s a square peg in a round hole when playing this system. The same goes for Hagi as well imo, if Gerrard wants to succeed he has to alter the system as whilst 4-3-3 is ideal for playing in Europe, it’s clearly ineffective domestically for some time now.

It’s not the 4-3-3 per se, it’s Gerrard/Beale’s interpretation of it. Only the full backs providing width, no support for the central striker, two holding players in midfield playing sideways and covering for the fullbacks etc.

7 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It’s not the 4-3-3 per se, it’s Gerrard/Beale’s interpretation of it. Only the full backs providing width, no support for the central striker, two holding players in midfield playing sideways and covering for the fullbacks etc.

Lot of words to say its shite lol

Archived