Probably the worst I've felt as a fan .......... and I'm in my 70's

The Widow's Son

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Such rubbish in this post  and I’ve had a season ticket for 33 years - one of our best runs in Europe 2nd in the league and a developing team - there have been much darker days than this - get a fking grip 

I'll tell you what, you're actually no wrong, on pure numbers alone we are much improved and are a devloping team, we're a point better off than the tims were after the same amount of League games last year, we got to the League Cup final and played them off the park and conceded an offside goal from one of their two only chances and we're having the best run in Europe results baaed wise I can ever remember, even when we got to Manchester we weren't winning the volume of.games we have this season.

There's a lot to take from it, however Rangers is built on emotion, its that attachment thaymt keeps us going back year on year and this will be another year we'll end empty handed, the reason people feel so deflated is because the season offered so much hope and promise and yet it'll end with another season with nothing while that mob scoop up, knowing our luck this will be the year they finally have a bad afternoon and Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs end up with the Scottish.

Literally you ain't wrong but it's the hope that kills you so I can completely understand why folk will be more disappointed this year than in previous years when our pride far exceeded our expectation

22 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Not much to say.  I've seen some dire times through the years (decades?) but this is probably the worst.  

I kinda think 14th Feb 2012 was rather a bit of a bad day, but if you think full houses, 2nd in tbe league and 18 European games is worse than that, or regularly playing to less than 10,000 in the early 80's then that's your choice.

22 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Not much to say.  I've seen some dire times through the years (decades?) but this is probably the worst.  Maybe the fans are too good for this club - we cheer home and away, spent hard-earned cash to follow, follow over great distances, pass on the mission to our children and grandchildren, remain loyal and staunch in the lean times, sing our song in a thousand cities, fly the flag in a nation that despises us.  And our return??

Wise words sir 

On 29/02/2020 at 22:56, The Widow's Son said:

Not much to say.  I've seen some dire times through the years (decades?) but this is probably the worst.  Maybe the fans are too good for this club - we cheer home and away, spent hard-earned cash to follow, follow over great distances, pass on the mission to our children and grandchildren, remain loyal and staunch in the lean times, sing our song in a thousand cities, fly the flag in a nation that despises us.  And our return??

I'm no spring chicken but I've certainly felt far worse than this on more than one occasion.  I hope that having had time to calm down a bit (like the rest of us) you have altered your opinion by this time.

On 01/03/2020 at 20:55, NixonRFC said:

I'll tell you what, you're actually no wrong, on pure numbers alone we are much improved and are a devloping team, we're a point better off than the tims were after the same amount of League games last year, we got to the League Cup final and played them off the park and conceded an offside goal from one of their two only chances and we're having the best run in Europe results baaed wise I can ever remember, even when we got to Manchester we weren't winning the volume of.games we have this season.

There's a lot to take from it, however Rangers is built on emotion, its that attachment thaymt keeps us going back year on year and this will be another year we'll end empty handed, the reason people feel so deflated is because the season offered so much hope and promise and yet it'll end with another season with nothing while that mob scoop up, knowing our luck this will be the year they finally have a bad afternoon and Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs end up with the Scottish.

Literally you ain't wrong but it's the hope that kills you so I can completely understand why folk will be more disappointed this year than in previous years when our pride far exceeded our expectation

Oh I get that - the deflated Hope is hard to take, but folks saying this is our worst ever is just mince! That hope is light at the end of the tunnel! Sure we’ve faced a few steps back since Xmas but, as you said, we go again and allowing a manger to work though this is what we need, not another change. Change sets us back not forward. 

Not a patch on the season in the championship under ally when we blew a 2 goal lead in the Ramsdens Cup vs alloa and that fucking hibs game under Kenny mcdowell. Motherwell play off felt absolutely soul destroying 

If people think this is the worst yet then fuck knows what makes them think that first championship season was so good. 

22 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Not a patch on the season in the championship under ally when we blew a 2 goal lead in the Ramsdens Cup vs alloa and that fucking hibs game under Kenny mcdowell. Motherwell play off felt absolutely soul destroying 

If people think this is the worst yet then fuck knows what makes them think that first championship season was so good. 

Theres been highs and lows this season.  Because of the expectation and hope the highs give us, the lows hit us even worse.

But nowhere near as bad overall as the season you're talking about, plus a few others.

Perspective seems shot to pieces for many these days.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Theres been highs and lows this season.  Because of the expectation and hope the highs give us, the loss hit us even worse.

But nowhere near as bad overall as the season you're talking about, plus a few others.

Perspective seems shot to pieces for many these days.

It really does, in a purely footballing sense there's been far far worse times in the previous 8 years than there has been this season as hard as finishing trophyless again is, it doesn't register anywhere near as bad as some. Of the shite we've sat through 

With all due respect to the OP, The result of the Hearts game pales into insignificance when I think back to some of the horror shows I've watched over the years, especially the worst of the lot at Hampden Park on 19th October 1957 when we got the worst hammering we've ever had against the filth in the final of the League Cup, 7-1.

I'm in my 70's also and that was the first and only time I have cried at a game, so perhaps the OP is having a bit of a memory lapse.

Clear signs of dementia mate, go get it checked out. 

That tear inducing cave in 6-1 on aggregate in 2015 to Motherwell in the play offs

February 14th 2012

Ramsdens Cup Final against Raith in 2014

Scottish Cup Final against hivs 2016

Thinking Michael O'Halloran was a striker

Ian Black

There's plenty more plus the guff we had to watch in the 80's, with the exception of pumping dundee hivs 4-1 in the Scottish Cup final 1981 replay (the night frankie hughes joined striker bobby in the pencil case) so January and February 2020 don't come close as far as i'm concerned

One if my worst feelings was the day we got beat by Berwick Rangers in early 1967 and put out of the SC, wasn’t at the game,  was in Tommy the barbers a red hot bear at he was cutting my hair when a tarrier from a local slophoose shouted the score in the door, that was a low feeling, It was a cunt of a year after that 😡

I think this has come at the end of the best part of 10 really difficult years and there does reach a a tipping point for everybody where enough is enough  ... especially when it's only a few weeks ago that we thought we finally had a Rangers team again worthy of the name 

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/03/2020 at 01:14, Craiggybear said:

So you're in your 70s, and today is the worst you've felt? 

Even during the 60's..... and 1967..... and 1998.... and 2012.... 

You sir,  are a taig. 

Bump. 

To the op...  @TheWidowsSon... An apology. 

Just off the phone to my dad greeting as its his 80th birthday and he can't see his grandkids.  He's a season ticket holder since the 70's  and said "this is probably the worst ive felt in a long time, but at least we're all brothers" and it reminded me of what I said in the above post..

To be clear,  I still 100% disagree with your initial post, but looking back and seeing your previous posts, I'm downright ashamed at the above post I made to an elder bear. 

Please accept my humble apologies, watp. 

8 hours ago, Craiggybear said:

Bump. 

To the op...  @TheWidowsSon... An apology. 

Just off the phone to my dad greeting as its his 80th birthday and he can't see his grandkids.  He's a season ticket holder since the 70's  and said "this is probably the worst ive felt in a long time, but at least we're all brothers" and it reminded me of what I said in the above post..

To be clear,  I still 100% disagree with your initial post, but looking back and seeing your previous posts, I'm downright ashamed at the above post I made to an elder bear. 

Please accept my humble apologies, watp. 

Well said mate,

Too few folk take the trouble to apologise nowadays.

Sorry I can never forget JGs time as manager. Apart from 78/9 when he was living off Jock Wallaces team, the football , team and crowds were awful.

Loved big Greig but not as a manager sadly. Only other bad time apart from 2012 was the team under David White when we won sod all.

Wish you wouldn't reprise my old posts.  Little bit embarrassed to read this now but I was feeling pretty bad at the time.  Some of the posters on here called me a "taig" and other remarks.  Working to control my passions and to cover my work.

Well this thread is a turn up for the books....I've just stumbled across page 2 on March the 1st.....a very interesting read @The Dude basically you are still making a case that we still weren't out the league....beat the vermin twice and win our game in hand and it wasn't over?

Very strange that you have probably over 300 posts stating why we should be awarding celtic the league as they are in such a position of strength....one massive contradiction by the sound of it!!!

Standing at Ibrox the night we faced Motherwell in a playoff and they beat us 3-1 was the lowest. Those daft cunts over in the corner signing 'twist and shout' while letting off flares offs.  The realisation that we weren't going to get promoted and would need to spend another year in the Championship.  Then Motherwell turned us over 3-0 in the second leg (6-1 on aggregate) and left us totally humiliated.  Those were dark times.  This isn't as bad.

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Well this thread is a turn up for the books....I've just stumbled across page 2 on March the 1st.....a very interesting read @The Dude basically you are still making a case that we still weren't out the league....beat the vermin twice and win our game in hand and it wasn't over?

Very strange that you have probably over 300 posts stating why we should be awarding celtic the league as they are in such a position of strength....one massive contradiction by the sound of it!!!

Not at all. Games get played and we can very much catch them. The problem comes because these remaining games are never going to get played. 

On 29/03/2020 at 13:40, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Sorry I can never forget JGs time as manager. Apart from 78/9 when he was living off Jock Wallaces team, the football , team and crowds were awful.

Loved big Greig but not as a manager sadly. Only other bad time apart from 2012 was the team under David White when we won sod all.

I was going to post this and mention 2012. 

although as a boy during Greig’s era I remember my uncle taking me and all I heard was moaning, all I seen was a half empty stadium and yet I’m still going. 

2012 was the absolute worse

oh and I’ll chuck in the play off against Motherwell 

With so many people dying out there , the bad feeling you/we may have (that's if you have an ounce of compassion ) negates any footballing feeling for me this season . it just doesn't matter.

And to be honest , our club needs a break away from the momentum that the bheasts had over these past 8 years . And let's not lie about that . Things were getting better than the dark days of 2012, yet absolutely nowhere near good enough for this bear .

So the footballing break will hopefully be a good thing for Rangers . That is of some comfort to me .

Archived