Who Goes/ Who Stays

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Keeping Tav are we?!

Nah I’ve had it with Tav.  Need to offload him in the summer - he’s simply not good enough(or captain material). Also don’t think Polster is the long term answer for right back.  

Our midfield is spineless in domestic games though and Polster might add a bit of physicality/meat in the middle of the pitch. 

Clutching at straws tho! 👍

12 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I think you've got to bring age into this as well . 

Guys like Katic ,  Kamara , Aribo , Edmundson and Kent  are 24 or under and we've seen they have it , albeit not consistently and with the right experienced players around them can contribute to the team . . Outside of that I'd be looking to keep McGregor  , Jack and Barisic . 

The rest can go as far as I'm concerned . 

I think the age point is a really good one. We are relying on Morelos, Kent, Aribo and more recently Hagi to be our "match winners". All young guys with huge talent but perhaps not the mentality or experience to do what's required consistently. I mentioned in an earlier post that a cb, cm and cf would be my priority signings in the summer and I should have added that all 3 need to be 26/27/28 in my opinion. In their prime with experience. 

Buying and relying on potential will 9bly ever get you so far, the balance has to be right. Realistically in our best 14/15, only Barisic, Helander and Goldson maybe have been bought in what you'd say was the prime years of their career. Between Mcgregor, Davis, Arfield and Defoe on the wrong side and Katic, Edmundson, Kamara, Aribo, Kent and Hagi still to reach their peak I'd say our balance is a little bit off. 

I've mentioned it previously aswell about Morelos. I can't ever remember us being so reliant on a 22/23 year old striker. We've had Miller, Boyd, Jelavic, Prso, Arveladze, De Boer, Mols, Flo, Wallace etc etc. Proven, experienced players. That's a huge amount of pressure at a club this size to put on a young mans shoulders. 

The squad pre 2012 had some shite in it too like that big numpty Broadfoot, Foster, Lafferty, Webster, Wylde, Whittaker Little, Kerkar, Velicka, Healy, Beattie and others but had a core of good solid players who the manager could trust and turned into winners. Replacing the dross will only take us so far, we need a manager who can turn players into winners, Gerrard struggles with that. 

56 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Wasn’t convinced mate, looked a bit too scary on the ball for my liking. Foderingham esque some of the passes he was playing out 

Can’t remember the last goalie we had that was great at distribution. 
Looked at great shot stopper though. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Can’t remember the last goalie we had that was great at distribution. 
Looked at great shot stopper though. 

Remember when Wattereus came and it was a revelation he could actually throw the ball out to players after watching horrendous distribution from Klos for years 

Then he got replaced by Lionel Letizi 😫

4 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

I think the age point is a really good one. We are relying on Morelos, Kent, Aribo and more recently Hagi to be our "match winners". All young guys with huge talent but perhaps not the mentality or experience to do what's required consistently. I mentioned in an earlier post that a cb, cm and cf would be my priority signings in the summer and I should have added that all 3 need to be 26/27/28 in my opinion. In their prime with experience. 

Buying and relying on potential will 9bly ever get you so far, the balance has to be right. Realistically in our best 14/15, only Barisic, Helander and Goldson maybe have been bought in what you'd say was the prime years of their career. Between Mcgregor, Davis, Arfield and Defoe on the wrong side and Katic, Edmundson, Kamara, Aribo, Kent and Hagi still to reach their peak I'd say our balance is a little bit off. 

I've mentioned it previously aswell about Morelos. I can't ever remember us being so reliant on a 22/23 year old striker. We've had Miller, Boyd, Jelavic, Prso, Arveladze, De Boer, Mols, Flo, Wallace etc etc. Proven, experienced players. That's a huge amount of pressure at a club this size to put on a young mans shoulders. 

I think you're absolutely right , there does have to be a balance . I think the problem we're having now is our younger players havent been able to rely on the more experienced ones to help them through difficult times . 

Id agree with your signings being a bit more older and , ideally , physically stronger as I feel we get bullied far to easily in games . We are missing a bully ourselves in the middle of the park . 

As for Morelos , I'm frustrated about him in that I don't know what way to go , but the reality is selling him would probably be our best chance of financing the changes we need . 

I think we actually need to look at Martin O’Neills  philosophy for up her.

Big, physical boys that can cope with the aggressive nature of the game but are comfortable. He rarely signed somebody under 6ft, and he had a couple of playmakers who could hurt you.

If we built that around Hagi and Kent you could crack it.

Also doesn’t help when your manager sees 4-3-3 against everyone and also needs to learn how to change and adapt.

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I think we actually need to look at Martin O’Neills  philosophy for up her.

Big, physical boys that can cope with the aggressive nature of the game but are comfortable. He rarely signed somebody under 6ft, and he had a couple of playmakers who could hurt you.

If we built that around Hagi and Kent you could crack it.

Also doesn’t help when your manager sees 4-3-3 against everyone and also needs to learn how to change and adapt.

Absolutely.

The tarriers base to their team is Brown, Christie, Macgregor, Forrest, Griffiths all Scottish and brought up in rough and tumble of Scottish game. Subsidised with Jullien who’s 6ft 7 and Edouard who is a cracking player.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Absolutely.

The tarriers base to their team is Brown, Christie, Macgregor, Forrest, Griffiths all Scottish and brought up in rough and tumble of Scottish game. Subsidised with Jullien who’s 6ft 7 and Edouard who is a cracking player.

Yup it’s not rocket science and we should have learned from warburton that the technical player isn’t suited.

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yup it’s not rocket science and we should have learned from warburton that the technical player isn’t suited.

Unless players have genuine quality then they wont make it in the oddity that is Scottish football.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Unless players have genuine quality then they wont make it in the oddity that is Scottish football.

The one that stands out to me is Ross Mccrorrie. Gerrard described his as a warrior after beating them last season. 

Then he’s gone. We have played many games this season where we could be doing with a warrior.

Agree with your point though, the core of the team should be versed on Scottish football.

Foderingham, Tav, Halliday, Flanagan, Davis, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Morelos, Stewart. That's 90-100k a week saved in wages, surely?  Might be able to get around £10 million or so for Morelos based on his European performances this season. 

Absolutely no chance we're getting Hagi now though which is gutting tbh. 

2 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Think that is part of the problem. If in training the player is not the best technically then he’s not getting into the team. Need to mix and match both. Should have Players that’ll do the hard work to then let the technical players do they’re stuff. McCrorrie, Docherty who hassle , chase , tackle for 90mins ,to give it to Hagi, Kent etc. Mentality is obviously an issue and normally the less technical make up their short comings with a strong mentality.

57 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Some on here are utterly ridiculous.

Wanting the best full back in Scotland to go and calling him a shitebag on the basis of one poor game! 🤮

We've dropped 12 points without him this season. Probably our POTY and one of our most important players. Embarrassing from a few on here.

16CDB2F7-39B0-4329-A72E-FBB0131887B3.gif

Archived