Our Youth System

BlueVanguard

What is the fucking point in it?

I thought when Gerrard came to the club he would have dipped into our talent and use it.

Irritates me so much knowing we have an extremely good youth facility who is producing great players and we don't give them a look in.

Kennedy, Patterson, Mebude, Mayo. Would be in my first team squad every week or at least round about it.

If Gerrard wants to build for the future of our club why are they not getting used. Other SPL clubs are using their academy and its paying off big time for them.

They would show more heart and desire to play than the shower of shite we have offering just now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 months into Gerrard's era and not one youth player has made it mainstay into the squad. We send them out on loan and they are never heard of again.

Kennedy & Patterson get to train with the first team but that's about it.

1 minute ago, fanaticCR said:

Scrap it, should have been done soon as we couldn’t play Patterson against St Mirren.

I know, But this isn't just about Patterson its about introducing the rest of the boys into the team. Kennedy could easily be around our first team more. Just look at the teams who is scouting him.

20 minutes ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

I thought when Gerrard came to the club he would have dipped into our talent and use it.

Irritates me so much knowing we have an extremely good youth facility who is producing great players and we don't give them a look in.

Kennedy, Patterson, Mebude, Mayo. Would be in my first team squad every week or at least round about it.

If Gerrard wants to build for the future of our club why are they not getting used. Other SPL clubs are using their academy and its paying off big time for them.

They would show more heart and desire to play than the shower of shite we have offering just now.

We've been saying same for years.

In recent years apart from the kid who went to Chelsea, we only get a few lower level second string types comng through who go onto to play for lesser clubs and that's about it.

If you look across Scotland at what comes through, an occasional one might pop up who is maybe good enough for us, so basically that God given talent is just not there and then there is the impatience with fans who demand instant success.

To be honest I don't think academies work at clubs where you are expected to win trophies. 

The demands and expectations at  such clubs mean you just skip the youth set ups and go and buy from elsewhere when you need to. 

Once in a blue moon someone might break in to the first team but it is an absolute rarity. 

The returns from youth set ups at clubs like ours are minimal.  So you have to question their existence in all honesty. 

2 hours ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

Go to the training centre and watch some games mate , absolutely nothing coming through that’s better than what’s in the first team or nobody anywhere near ready , Mcpake sticks out a mile at times but Dundee hunted him , sometimes think of the money we’d get for they 6 pitches at the academy side from a housing company in milngavie 

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Billy Gilmour starting for Chelsea tonight. Doesn’t help when the best players can just be poached like that but guess we do that to rest of the country

What a player. 

If Chelsea went on to sell him in a few years would we get a percentage? 

21 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Go to the training centre and watch some games mate , absolutely nothing coming through that’s better than what’s in the first team or nobody anywhere near ready , Mcpake sticks out a mile at times but Dundee hunted him , sometimes think of the money we’d get for they 6 pitches at the academy side from a housing company in milngavie 

Spot on , been to numerous games at the training centre and as you say there's nobody that stands out or is better than what we have, it's always been the same 

If we had played any of the young lads in any of this seasons defeats Stevie would’ve been slaughtered. 
I would like to see them get some game time now to see if they are ready for the step up next season. 
It also helps when the current first team is strong and you can afford to blood a young player knowing the senior players will carry him to start with, I wouldn’t trust our first team to carry a packet of crisps. 

So to get this right Gerrard has to, against the odds, win the league in 2 years or gtf. He should be doing it whilst blooding youths. That cover it?

Hes been here all of 18 months, we're winning  international trophies at 17s, our youths are regularly competing and competing well with some of the best youths in Europe. There is progress there it seems.

Again it seems to me that folk want it all, trophies and youth progression into 1st team simultaneously which is surely unrealistic. 

I genuinely believe some of our surplus non contributors such as Halliday, Flanagan will be replaced by our youths in the summer, its then up to them to force their way in. 

Just seems another issue to moan about and berate the club / Gerrard, but that's exactly what some revel in these days.

49 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Billy Gilmour starting for Chelsea tonight. Doesn’t help when the best players can just be poached like that but guess we do that to rest of the country

It will be interesting to see how Gilmour plays tonight.   I doubt he would be anywhere near the first team had it not been for Chelsea's recent signing restrictions.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So to get this right Gerrard has to, against the odds, win the league in 2 years or gtf. He should be doing it whilst blooding youths. That cover it?

Hes been here all of 18 months, we're winning  international trophies at 17s, our youths are regularly competing and competing well with some of the best youths in Europe. There is progress there if seems.

Again it seems to me that folk want it all, trophies and youth progression into 1st team simultaneously which is surely unrealistic. 

I genuinely believe some of our surplus non contributors such as Halliday, Flanagan will be replaced by our youths in the summer, its then up to them to force their way in. 

Just seems another issue to moan about and berate the club / Gerrard, but that's exactly what some revel in these days.

I hope Patterson can replace Flanagan at least.   We need cover at left back because Halliday isn't the answer.   I wonder how McPake would do if converted to full back.

On 02/03/2020 at 19:25, MoodyBlue1872 said:

To be honest I don't think academies work at clubs where you are expected to win trophies. 

The demands and expectations at  such clubs mean you just skip the youth set ups and go and buy from elsewhere when you need to. 

Clubs like Man Utd, Ajax and Barcelona prove that theory wrong a bit do they not?

On 02/03/2020 at 19:25, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Once in a blue moon someone might break in to the first team but it is an absolute rarity. 

The returns from youth set ups at clubs like ours are minimal.  So you have to question their existence in all honesty. 

Man United, and Barca say hello

I agree Patterson should be getting more game time ahead of next season.  Flanagan will be off and Patterson will be Tavernier’s cover.  We don’t want to be throwing Patterson in next season during must win games.  I’d give him the rest of the season, but then, the fans will go mental if we lose another game or two.  One bad game and Patterson will be written off as pish.

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Clubs like Man Utd, Ajax and Barcelona prove that theory wrong a bit do they not?

Says it all when you are struggling to name two or thee clubs.  Even then, Man Utd hardly have a regular and consistent line of youth coming into to their first team. 

On the whole they provide little return for clubs expected to win trophies. We are the classic example.

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

I agree Patterson should be getting more game time ahead of next season.  Flanagan will be off and Patterson will be Tavernier’s cover.  We don’t want to be throwing Patterson in next season during must win games.  I’d give him the rest of the season, bu then, the fans will go mental if we lose another game or two.  One bad game and Patterson will be written off as pish.

Someone last week was suggesting we should go with youths for the remainder of the season. Pretty sure they wouldn't hold Gerrard responsible for more dropped points,........though probably also in the Gerrard out camp the now 😂

Archived