No More Exotic Winter Break Trips To Exclusive Foreign Seaside Resorts.

tannerall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Just get them across to the Gullane Sands. 

Never did the teams of yore any harm. 

6mhYz0N.jpg

tFMeHQR.jpg

In this day and age of footballers being spoiled and pampered I'm afraid to say but I think our current crop of bottle merchants would be straight on the phone to their agents to get them the fuck out of there asap should the days of Gullane sands ever return.

17 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

In this day and age of footballers being spoiled and pampered I'm afraid to say but I think our current crop of bottle merchants would be straight on the phone to their agents to get them the fuck out of there asap should the days of Gullane sands ever return.

Our current squad will be miles fitter than any squad that went to Gullane.

2 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Our current players are probably twice as fit as the ones in the pics.

Fit for what.

29 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Just get them across to the Gullane Sands. 

Never did the teams of yore any harm. 

6mhYz0N.jpg

tFMeHQR.jpg

Gullane wasn't just about physical fitness, it was about the mental strength to get you over the line, today's lot ? Nae chance.

1 minute ago, left winger said:

Our current squad will be miles fitter than any squad that went to Gullane.

Undoubtedly due to lifestyle changes, Healthier diets and a change in attitude towards heavy drinking etc but how many of our current squad would actually fancy a training session at Gullane sands, Not too many I suspect.

1 minute ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Undoubtedly due to lifestyle changes, Healthier diets and a change in attitude towards heavy drinking etc but how many of our current squad would actually fancy a training session at Gullane sands, Not too many I suspect.

I doubt any of our previous squads did either, and I imagine at pre-season each year there are some fitness drills that the players loathe. I genuinely can’t think of any benefits that running up a sand dune will have over what they already do.

2 minutes ago, left winger said:

I doubt any of our previous squads did either, and I imagine at pre-season each year there are some fitness drills that the players loathe. I genuinely can’t think of any benefits that running up a sand dune will have over what they already do.

Much of our squad is filled with sand dancers.

9 minutes ago, left winger said:

Stamina, determination and character. 

All things we currently lack. 

Just now, left winger said:

As alluded to by BlueDignity it would perhaps give them the mental strength to get over the line, Whatever fitness regimes the players currently go through pre-season or otherwise certainly doesn't seem to be working, May well be very basic but if fuck all else seems to be working then going back to basics may be the very place to start even if it is for no other reason to use it as carrot and stick, Give your all on the pitch and leave nothing out there then No Gullane sands otherwise it's off for a trip down the coast first thing in the morning regardless of what the weather is doing.

4 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

As alluded to by BlueDignity it would perhaps give them the mental strength to get over the line, Whatever fitness regimes the players currently go through pre-season or otherwise certainly doesn't seem to be working, May well be very basic but if fuck all else seems to be working then going back to basics may be the very place to start even if it is for no other reason to use it as carrot and stick, Give your all on the pitch and leave nothing out there then No Gullane sands otherwise it's off for a trip down the coast first thing in the morning regardless of what the weather is doing.

So a quick glance at one of the pics shows the flappy collar strip. How many league titles did we win when that was the strip? How many times did our mental strength get us over the line, then?

2 minutes ago, left winger said:

So a quick glance at one of the pics shows the flappy collar strip. How many league titles did we win when that was the strip? How many times did our mental strength get us over the line, then?

Pretty sure that wasn't the only era when we had training days at Gullane sands and whilst we may well not have been dominating the league around that time we were certainly competitive and winning the odd cup in that period, Also the scum were not chasing 9iar never mind 10iar.

3 minutes ago, left winger said:

Not exactly exclusive to sand dune running.

Sand dunes ain't about running, it's about using all your leg muscles to cope with sinking in to the sand at an angle, and pushing through the serious mass of the sand whilst balancing against the sand falling behind you reducing the pressure to go forward, using your whole body strength and determination to reach the summit.

We'll leave the running to those athletes  who choose only to follow a straight line. 

I used to go to the gym and run straight lines for 10-20km. 

All I probably did was ignore the muscles that help you shift balance and twist your torso in order to adjust your position and probably caused uneccessary wear and tear to my knee joints. 

Once I went back to football my turning, balance and quickness and ability to adjust my body  and movement increased.as well as my sheer determination to win..

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

Sand dunes ain't about running, it's about using all your leg muscles to cope with sinking in to the sand at an angle, and pushing through the serious mass of the sand whilst balancing against the sand falling behind you reducing the pressure to go forward, using your whole body strength and determination to reach the summit.

We'll leave the running to those athletes  who choose only to follow a straight line. 

I used to go to the gym and run straight lines for 10-20km

All I probably did was ignore the muscles that help you shift balance and twist your torso in order to adjust your position and probably caused uneccessary wear and tear to my knee joints. 

Once I went back to football my turning, balance and quickness and ability to adjust my body  and movement increased.as well as my sheer determination to win..

Some size of gym!!!

It’s a fair point re movement - I last played football when I was 19 and was training up to 60 miles a week for a marathon. I was fit as fuck, but the day after the game I could hardly walk.

But back to the point at hand - show me successful football teams in this day and age that use sand dunes as part of their training and I’ll buy into it.

41 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Our current players are probably twice as fit as the ones in the pics.

Almost certainly. I don't think our Head of Sports Science would approve of players running up sand dunes until they puked either.

Those heart monitors they wear would probably go into overdrive and explode.

4 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Pretty sure that wasn't the only era when we had training days at Gullane sands and whilst we may well not have been dominating the league around that time we were certainly competitive and winning the odd cup in that period, Also the scum were not chasing 9iar never mind 10iar.

No, that’s true, it was used prior to then - not sure of exact years, but probs when we picked up a couple of trebles. On the subject of 9 in a row - did we do it during our’s?

10 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

You are correct Brother. That was John Greigs time that strip, the man that introduced Gullane won two trebles with and helped win a certain European trophy. Big Jock Jungle Fighter.

Times have changed, no professional sides are going to use training methods like this. Training in warm weather is proven to be beneficial both physically and mentally. Our problems are clearly deeper than a trip abroad, the tarriers did the same thing and they’ve come back and swept aside the dross domestically while we have toiled. Teams have figured out how to negate our style of play, and for whatever reason, Gerrard has been too stubborn to change it up and make teams rethink their game plans against us. 

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

No, that’s true, it was used prior to then - not sure of exact years, but probs when we picked up a couple of trebles. On the subject of 9 in a row - did we do it during our’s?

Not too sure whether it was used during our 9iar or not, Obviously Souness started 9iar and Walter seen it through and that imo was the start of a new era and tbf the majority of the players we had coming through the doors of Ibrox at that time were what I would call Top Notch Internationalists if not World Class in some cases along with guys such as John Brown and Ian Ferguson whom I'm sure would be leaving our superstars in no doubt what was required to be a Ranger.

Archived