Manager to take us forward, who?

pcbear

Just now, 1690tamRFC said:

Regarding point 4 cons, whilst I completely understand your point, in fairness he has never to my knowledge just started prattling on about Liverpool but is ridiculously asked about them by our absolutely inept media during press conferences. As much as it would be great to have a fantastic manager who grew up like you and I did with blue blood and Rangers and only Rangers in our hearts, realistically that’s a tough ask, of course if he was successful and the chance to go there arose he’d be off, just as Souness was, and so would 99% of managers if the chance to go to a better league with almost unlimited resources was presented to them. It’s just reality to where we are on the football spectrum 

I know all that mate, but IMO he should be saying I’m here to comment on Rangers not Liverpool, everyone knows my feelings on Liverpool but I’m the manager of Rangers now. and that would have ended it but it really sticks in my craw when his eyes light up and is happy to comment on them.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I know all that mate, but IMO he should be saying I’m here to comment on Rangers not Liverpool, everyone knows my feelings on Liverpool but I’m the manager of Rangers now. and that would have ended it but it really sticks in my craw when his eyes light up and is happy to comment on them.

Yeah I get that mate, I do agree but it’s always brought up by idiots in the press was my point. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Rangers-should-no-doubt-steven-21653673

OPINION

Rangers should be in no doubt that Steven Gerrard is still the right man to take them forward

The Liverpool legend came under pressure following his side's humiliating Scottish Cup quarter-final defeat to Hearts earlier this month.

By

Robbie Fowler

09:01, 8 MAR 2020

Nothing should surprise me in football any more, but my mate Steven Gerrard supposedly under pressure at Rangers? C’mon!

Social media has much to answer for when it comes to some of the nonsense that is being spouted these days.

Ads by Teads

I see lots of people who are clever and understand the game, but also a helluva lot of people who simply don’t have a clue.

Even from a distance, I can sniff out the rubbish. Like the suggestion he’s lost the players. Absolute rubbish. Honestly, I don’t have to speak to him to know that’s wrong, hopelessly wrong.

I watched how Rangers played against Braga in the last round of the Europa League and I could see a team that has got every ounce of belief in what the ­boss is doing. They have clearly bought into what he wants.

They have reached the last 16 for the first time since 2011 – and gone further than celtic, who played weaker opposition – ­because Steven has got them playing the right way and sticking together.

I’m not defending him because we were team-mates. I’m arguing that there is no perspective any more.

OK, he’s spent a bit of money, but, even if they have had a dip in the league of late, this is a far more competitive Rangers team than they’ve had for so many years.

The performances in Europe have been outstanding – and maybe they are paying the penalty for that a little in the league. I also think they have not been done any favours by the winter break.

Honestly, I know Steven will be hurting by that loss at home to Hamilton and the cup defeat by Hearts. He’s a passionate lad, he wears his heart on sleeve all the time and you know what you get with him.

Any players not delivering, he’ll come out and say it. And I’ll back him 100 per cent in that.

I’m sure he will get it right, but managers have certain periods when they’re under pressure and it’s not going the right way.

Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and get through.

Those are the times you need to support the manager, back what he’s doing and believe in what he can achieve.

Every successful manager has needed that support at some time. And, again, it’s about ­perspective. I know that from my own experience. My team in Brisbane has been constantly criticised for being a team that “only defends”, but we have had more passes in the opposition half than any other team in the league!

Certain people have agendas and they will never waste an ­opportunity to stick the knife in.

In Scotland, I know there are plenty of agendas – and Steven knows that, too. There are a lot of people who want to see a name like him fail.

If Stevie wins two more games, then he’ll have more points and be in a better position than the Rangers team in the two seasons before he arrived at the club.

So there’s progress.

They have a glamorous tie in Europe, too, against Bayer Leverkusen. So he’s doing something right. And you can’t question the ­commitment and desire. I speak to Steven from time to time about ­management, about football, about our lives after hanging up the boots.

And I know for a fact we are the same – we both want to get to the top in our new
careers. And I have no doubt he will do that, eventually.

Rangers fans should have no doubt, either.

2 hours ago, STEVEH said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Rangers-should-no-doubt-steven-21653673

OPINION

Rangers should be in no doubt that Steven Gerrard is still the right man to take them forward

The Liverpool legend came under pressure following his side's humiliating Scottish Cup quarter-final defeat to Hearts earlier this month.

By

Robbie Fowler

09:01, 8 MAR 2020

Nothing should surprise me in football any more, but my mate Steven Gerrard supposedly under pressure at Rangers? C’mon!

Social media has much to answer for when it comes to some of the nonsense that is being spouted these days.

Ads by Teads

I see lots of people who are clever and understand the game, but also a helluva lot of people who simply don’t have a clue.

Even from a distance, I can sniff out the rubbish. Like the suggestion he’s lost the players. Absolute rubbish. Honestly, I don’t have to speak to him to know that’s wrong, hopelessly wrong.

I watched how Rangers played against Braga in the last round of the Europa League and I could see a team that has got every ounce of belief in what the ­boss is doing. They have clearly bought into what he wants.

They have reached the last 16 for the first time since 2011 – and gone further than celtic, who played weaker opposition – ­because Steven has got them playing the right way and sticking together.

I’m not defending him because we were team-mates. I’m arguing that there is no perspective any more.

OK, he’s spent a bit of money, but, even if they have had a dip in the league of late, this is a far more competitive Rangers team than they’ve had for so many years.

The performances in Europe have been outstanding – and maybe they are paying the penalty for that a little in the league. I also think they have not been done any favours by the winter break.

Honestly, I know Steven will be hurting by that loss at home to Hamilton and the cup defeat by Hearts. He’s a passionate lad, he wears his heart on sleeve all the time and you know what you get with him.

Any players not delivering, he’ll come out and say it. And I’ll back him 100 per cent in that.

I’m sure he will get it right, but managers have certain periods when they’re under pressure and it’s not going the right way.

Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and get through.

Those are the times you need to support the manager, back what he’s doing and believe in what he can achieve.

Every successful manager has needed that support at some time. And, again, it’s about ­perspective. I know that from my own experience. My team in Brisbane has been constantly criticised for being a team that “only defends”, but we have had more passes in the opposition half than any other team in the league!

Certain people have agendas and they will never waste an ­opportunity to stick the knife in.

In Scotland, I know there are plenty of agendas – and Steven knows that, too. There are a lot of people who want to see a name like him fail.

If Stevie wins two more games, then he’ll have more points and be in a better position than the Rangers team in the two seasons before he arrived at the club.

So there’s progress.

They have a glamorous tie in Europe, too, against Bayer Leverkusen. So he’s doing something right. And you can’t question the ­commitment and desire. I speak to Steven from time to time about ­management, about football, about our lives after hanging up the boots.

And I know for a fact we are the same – we both want to get to the top in our new
careers. And I have no doubt he will do that, eventually.

Rangers fans should have no doubt, either.

fuck off Robbie.

"we have had more passes in the opposition half than any other team in the league" is utter shite talk.

Archived